REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Is this another hoax to try to ban guns?
Advertisement
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #27
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
Every Canadian with an RPAL can get a so called "high powered firearm", the reason you don't see civilians shooting things up with them is because of the RPAL you have to obtain, which is not easy for the average idiot. To get something as low powered as a 10/22, you still have to have a PAL, which is also not given to those that are not deemed suitable.
I don't believe rpal is applicable in this province
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #28
I don't get it

Oh well. More dead Americans. They asked for it.
Ver.Mitsubishi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,725 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrip View Post
Yes it is. Pal and Rpal
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #30
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrip View Post
It is most certainly applicable here.

I'd love to say that Canadians are just super responsible, but our lack of civilian <> civilian shootings is due to our licensing system, which obviously works to weed out 95% of the idiots.

Now, I object to certain weapons the federals have deemed too dangerous based on looks alone, but I feel satisfied with the balance between freedom and responsibility with our licensing system.

Last edited by Yodamaster; 01-23-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #31
I am grateful grapefruit

Our laws also do not allow concealed or unconcealed permits. Basically as a civilian in Canada, you are not allowed to carry a loaded firearm around in public, whether or not it's concealed. In the states - it varies greatly depending on the city, county, state.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #32
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
Every Canadian with an RPAL can get a so called "high powered firearm", the reason you don't see civilians shooting things up with them is because of the RPAL you have to obtain, which is not easy for the average idiot. To get something as low powered as a 10/22, you still have to have a PAL, which is also not given to those that are not deemed suitable.
Have to disagree with you here. I have met plenty of idiots with R/PAL's who own high caliber (.556+) rifles. All it would take is for someone to drill out the rivets of magazines that are "capped" to five rounds and SURPRISE the spring can recoil to the bottom and they're capable of holding 30. 22's and 9mm's still poke holes and are very lethal. Going fully automatic is extremely ineffective as it's very inaccurate unless supported so the fact that we can only obtain semi-automatics as civilians is a moot point when it comes to shootings of the nature we've been seeing in the US. Nothing is stopping a Canadian from doing the same. It's even more likely in Switzerland which has almost the same number of weapons per capita as the US but it doesn't. Why? The difference with the US is weapon and conflict culture and intelligence of the populous, period. These aren't issues you can legislate against, and even if the US matched Canadian laws the only way a difference would be made is if the culture is changed, and that will take generations.
JD像 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #33
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD像 View Post
Have to disagree with you here. I have met plenty of idiots with R/PAL's who own high caliber (.556+) rifles.
Wasn't trying to imply that our system does weed all the idiots out, just that it does a far better job at it than the system in the US.

Quote:
All it would take is for someone to drill out the rivets of magazines that are "capped" to five rounds and SURPRISE the spring can recoil to the bottom and they're capable of holding 30.
Correct, though I don't find that the five/ten round magazine cap is very effective in preventing any sort of crime. If the shooter is not skilled enough to de-rivet a magazine, he could simply purchase a magazine coupler and flip it to another five/ten rounds in two seconds. Considering that LAR15 magazines are legal 10 rounders for AR's in Canada, that makes the mag cap laws look even more rediculous. We've had people with these things around for a while now, and no school has been shot up by someone with that setup.

I can understand that some people are uneasy about civilians having thirty round magazines, but the thing is, the time taken to switch to another five/ten round magazine negates the high cap mag laws. I find that the only way a magazine is going to make a difference, is if the weapon is an automatic (those are banned here anyway).

Quote:
. 22's and 9mm's still poke holes and are very lethal.
There is no doubt about that, I was just referring to the fact that lesser powered firearms are still rather strictly regulated in comparison to the US.

Quote:
Going fully automatic is extremely ineffective as it's very inaccurate unless supported so the fact that we can only obtain semi-automatics as civilians is a moot point when it comes to shootings of the nature we've been seeing in the US.
None of the recent shootings have involved automatic weaponry iirc, that makes similar incidents comparable between the US and Canada. What we are seeing is a higher crime rate involving legal semi-automatics in the US, which leads me to believe that our system works very well. Now, there are more guns and people in the United States, but if you scaled the US down to Canada's numbers, you would still have a higher crime rate regarding legal semi-automatics. Now remember that we still have the ability to own legal semi-automatics in Canada, so we must be doing something right/better.

Quote:
Nothing is stopping a Canadian from doing the same. It's even more likely in Switzerland which has almost the same number of weapons per capita as the US but it doesn't. Why? The difference with the US is weapon and conflict culture and intelligence of the populous, period. These aren't issues you can legislate against, and even if the US matched Canadian laws the only way a difference would be made is if the culture is changed, and that will take generations.
A change to the Swiss system would take more than a few generations, just saying.

Last edited by Yodamaster; 01-24-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote