REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

Suspicious Man around Oakridge Mall area

Hi guys,

I was visiting my girlfriend around the Oakridge area on W44 Street.

In the afternoon around 4:30pm on Jan 21, a caucasian gentleman around 5'9, thin-ish build, gray/white hair and moustache wearing a blue jacket and jeans came to the house. He said his car broke down while he was doing a window cleaning job next door while the people of that residence are away from home until 9pm. (he even name-dropped..however he said names of European background while those neighbors were asian lol)

He noted that he works for Allstar cleaning, and he was from Abbotsford. Needing a ride back to home by bus, he asked for $10. We had no change, so we gave him a couple of unvalidated bus passes. He took them, then said that he needs to take the Greyhound since the skytrain and buses didn't go to Abbotsford.
It felt weird. He kept talking so I had no opening to speak, really. He kept the bus passes even though he couldn't use them and didn't offer to return them either. He thanked us and said he would return the next day to wash our windows.
It sounded like an awful made up story, and so we went to the next door neighbors at 9pm to see if they know whats going on. The lady said the guy said the exact same story to her and she gave him $10 lol.
Normally I wouldn't think much of it and assumed it's just a scam, but there was a break-in in this neighborhood just a few days ago..

So just a reminder, incase he was also scouting houses to break into, be careful!
We made sure not to open the door too much so he couldn't see much of the inside of the house.
Advertisement
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Should report it to the cops, and mention the recent break in as well. Might help them in building their file.
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
This scam has been going on for years. There's a EI guy on Fraser St who goes around looking for older EI people, he'll claim his car is broken down and he needs money for the bus. He actually stands outside of homes as well.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Typical scam,

I would have called him out on his car, and offered to see if I could fix it.

Too many of these bs scams going on, like that Philippino one at Superstore. She approaches me for donations, I say no. She approaches a couple near me, I tell'em don't do it, it's a scam. The lady glares at me.

I think Gridlock said it best a while back, about calling out someone. If they keep making excuses, then just walk away.

Oh yeah...Don't open the door to strangers.... unless he's offering candy.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
This reminds of something similar last year. This guy said his truck broke down and he's been stuck at Metrotown for 2 days and doesn't have enough money for gas to get home to Abbotsford. He tried the police and the police said they couldn't do much to help him and this guy begged me for money as his dog is in the truck and hasn't eaten for 2 days.

After I said I don't have any money and came back later on, his truck was gone. Wasted 10 mins listening to his crap too
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Some guy tried pulling a similar BS story on me at Sushi Garden / Staples plaza on lougheed. Said he needs skytrain fare for him and his family to go home, claimed to be stuck for a few days wtf.

I said, isn't it better to just hop on the skytrain illegally instead of being stranded for a few days? He says he's AN HONEST MAN and doesn't want to ride for free... and already got fined by the transit cops. I told him to just explain his story to the transit cops and asked where his family is right now, and he just walks away.

Wasted a few minutes of my life, but sometimes it's funny seeing them squirm when you poke holes in their story.
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
This reminds of something similar last year. This guy said his truck broke down and he's been stuck at Metrotown for 2 days and doesn't have enough money for gas to get home to Abbotsford. He tried the police and the police said they couldn't do much to help him and this guy begged me for money as his dog is in the truck and hasn't eaten for 2 days.

After I said I don't have any money and came back later on, his truck was gone. Wasted 10 mins listening to his crap too
An early-20s guy around Metrotown told me a similar thing while I was picking my girlfriend up from work. Told me that his truck ran out of gas and he lived near UBC so he was trying to gather up whatever he could get for gas money. Polite guy and didn't look homeless at all, so I was like aiite and ended up giving him a toonie.
Saw him the next day doing the same thing near the skytrain around 10PM recognized me, but didn't approach me again
Old 01-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

This happens all the time when I'm sitting in my car, random people will just come up and scare the shit out of me, then tell me they ran out of gas and are late for work or some bullshit. I usually just tell them I only have cards and that shuts them up
Past:'06 Civic Si
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinn3r View Post
An early-20s guy around Metrotown told me a similar thing while I was picking my girlfriend up from work. Told me that his truck ran out of gas and he lived near UBC so he was trying to gather up whatever he could get for gas money. Polite guy and didn't look homeless at all, so I was like aiite and ended up giving him a toonie.
Saw him the next day doing the same thing near the skytrain around 10PM recognized me, but didn't approach me again
If he looks mixed asian/caucasian I know who you're talking about. Hes still out there doing this.
Kidnapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
people must have no common sense these days to even make a post about it so people are warned.... how many gullible people are out there? those who are "suckered" into giving their money to these cons, deserve to lose their money.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,392 Times in 180 Posts
Was going to the gym today and a family of middle eastern women were standing on the corners of various king george cross roads with signs asking for money. Wut.
GoneGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

i dont mind giving money to the homeless ppl who stand in front of 7-11 opening doors for u but would never give to these ppl who feeds you bs stories then moves on to the next person.
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #13

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
lol this thread just became a "spotted a scammer" thread

When I see these lowlifes I just continue walking and listen to my music than their bullshit
Old 01-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
When I went to BCIT, every afternoon I always see a couple at the small island on the intersection of Willingdon and Kingsway, stating they need money and a place to stay... even though they were dressed in jeans, columbia jackets and huge hiking packs. They were at it for as long as I can remember going to school
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
I've seen the Filipinos asking for donations at Walmart and inside restaurants quite often.

This one filipino male spooked me out of nowhere when i was putting on my seatbelt at Walmart and he just knocks on my window and smiles asking for money.

I told my gf I should just pull out my wallet and take out a $10 bill and look at him, smile, and then drive off. Then again, i shouldn't be a dick about it so I just stared at him in a perverted way until he walked away.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #16
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Ever since i've been like 16 i've NEVER been in the position where i couldnt either get home, or find a way to get home

ever since i've been able to have a Visa i've never not had access to at least $1000

There's no excuse for anyone to "stranded" or broken down somewhere without any sort of help unless you locked everything you own inside your vehicle, which in that case i'd walk to a store or shopping mall and use a phone, no way in hell i'd walk up to a random strangers house and inconvenience them with some random coming asking to use the phone
Old 01-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #17

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Years and years ago, I was approached by a man and a woman downtown Vancouver who said they were stuck and needed money. They looked clean and I believed them. I still said no though. Flash forward few years later, and they approach me again. This time they were really skinny and cracked out. I wondered if it was all my fault when I said no again and walked away.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Ran into something similar when i lived in Coquitlam. Dude said gf kicked him out and asked for money. I gave him the face but give him a loonie anyways just so he wouldn't key my car out of spite.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #19
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
There was this guy downtown who hung out by The Bay and would break out in sobbing tears while walking toward you with his hands out. Saw him every day for about three weeks. Saw this one guy start doing the same thing back to him one time. Like me, I guess he'd seen it happen one too many times.

The crying guy immediately stopped and walked down the block to his next target.

Every one of these people have their own act to play. Just realize that everyone is lying to you all the time, every where you go, and you'll be fine.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #20
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
wonder if anyone ever offered to help him fix his car or drop him off in abbotsford
would have offered him a scale of 1 - 50$ dollars depending on how interesting his story was... broken car, weak.. where's the action? where are the lions, tigers, and bears? oh my
gotta make them earn their cash
Posted via RS Mobile
duy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #21
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
There was this guy downtown who hung out by The Bay and would break out in sobbing tears while walking toward you with his hands out. Saw him every day for about three weeks. Saw this one guy start doing the same thing back to him one time. Like me, I guess he'd seen it happen one too many times.

The crying guy immediately stopped and walked down the block to his next target.

Every one of these people have their own act to play. Just realize that everyone is lying to you all the time, every where you go, and you'll be fine.
Is that the "Won't someone PLEASE help me?! WHY DOESN'T ANYONE help me..." guy?

One of my friends used to work at Bay Sushi at Seymour and Georgia; he used to come in every day and get the most expensive stuff ($13-15 meals) in small change. She disliked him with a passion.

And while we're at it, I remember when I was filled with youth and bitterness, one of those guys asked me for some money for the skytrain; I smiled and chatted him up and told him I was going to Guilford too (I wasn't, but he was trying to get a 3-zone fare out of me, and I was like...fuck this shit), so I told him I'd pay for his ticket and he could join me for the ride. There was a not inconsiderable crowd, so he felt pressured to say yes. I paid for two three-zone transfers and talked to him the whole way to Guilford (random stupid shit and weather and what have you). As soon as we got there, I walked him out of the station, still chatting and turned around.
"Where are you going?"
"Back home, I just wanted to get you away from downtown where all the tourists and really gullible people are."
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #22
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

DT about two summers back was one guy always asking for change at the same spot at the same time for about two weeks.

i avoided him every time but this one time he came up to me and was about to ask me for change...

i was able to cut him off quick and instead asked him for change. this went back/forth for a bit.
so i started making a story up and begged him for money to help me get home since my car was impounded and i lost my job plus i had a 2 y/o baby girl to feed.

he walked off towards a nice older couple to ask them for change but i cut him off and asked them for change and the couple gave me $2 and told the other guy to "get a job you fucking bum".

so much win...
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #23
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I heard on a car forum about a phillipino guy scamming people by importing LFA from states to Canada but never delivers. And recently spotted at IKEA with his husband, I mean his wife.

Just saying.
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #24
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,615 Times in 574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkttsang View Post
I heard on a car forum about a phillipino guy scamming people by importing LFA from states to Canada but never delivers. And recently spotted at IKEA with his husband, I mean his wife.

Just saying.
you mean an ISF

i always thought those filipino ones were legit. didnt know they were scamming.

sometimes they come into the resto with a guitar and sing so people give them money to piss off.

they're pretty aggressive, i see the same girl at lansdowne skytrain station asking people for donations on a regular basis.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #25

Happens at UBC all the time.

Filipino women run around asking for donations. When you ask for a tax receipt, they say it will be mailed to you. Funny thing is, they don't even ask for an address
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote