REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
19 year-old man killed in sword attack, found "partially decapitated"

Vancouver police arrest five men after 19-year-old man killed in sword attack

Quote:
VANCOUVER - A sword attack in east Vancouver Wednesday night left a 19-year-old man dead and three men in police custody.

Vancouver police Const. Brian Montague said Thursday that the dead man, who police suspect has ties to drug traffickers, was specifically targeted by his attackers.

"There's nothing for the . . . public to be concerned about," Montague said of the city's first homicide of 2013.

SEE MORE PHOTOS HERE

Montague said police got a call around 10:30 p.m. saying a group of men were fighting in the street in the 6300-block of Elgin Street near East 47th Avenue with weapons including swords and bats.

Officers found the young man with severe injuries that appeared to be caused by a sword. He was taken to hospital by ambulance where he was pronounced dead.

According to an emergency services report at 1:15 a.m., one man was found "partially decapitated," but Montague could not confirm the nature of the injuries.

Five men between the ages of 19 and 21 were arrested Wednesday night. Two were later released; three remained in custody Thursday afternoon. No charges have been laid.

Four of the men were arrested when they came Vancouver General Hospital for treatment for a range of injuries. The fifth man was arrested near 41st Street.

"It's our belief that they were all involved in the attack at Elgin at 47th, but what their roles were is still unclear," said Montague.

Montague said there was no immediate indication that the attack involved gangs or was linked to the recent uptick in shootings in Metro Vancouver.

"We're still trying to determine exactly what happened last night. The stories are all a little convoluted with so many people being involved," he said.

At the scene early Thursday, police had cordoned off a block of Elgin at 47th Avenue while the force's forensic identification unit searched for evidence. The investigators were also examining a silver Honda Pilot SUV parked in the middle of Elgin with a smashed back window and the passenger side door left open. It and another vehicle were later towed away.

Montague could not confirm reports the victim was forced out of the SUV before he was swarmed by the group of men.

At one of the houses behind police tape, officers draped white sheets on the doorstep and front yard of a burgundy-coloured home.

Manpreet Pandhar, 20, said he has lived in the neighbourhood for 10 years and has never heard of any violence happening in the "really quiet" area.

"My brother was out walking the dog around 10:45 and he said there were police cars everywhere and they've got everything taped off and that something was going down," he said, adding that he did not hear any gunshots or screaming.

He said it is very unsettling to hear that a killing had happened so close to his house.

Sukhvir Dhaliwal, who lives in a house on the corner of Elgin and 47th, said he was just getting ready for bed around 10:30 p.m. when his young daughter came into his bedroom and told him there were flashing lights outside. He went outside and saw a man on a stretcher being put in an ambulance in front of a at a neighbouring house.

He doesn't know the people who live in the house, but said there hasn't been any trouble there before.

"This is scary. We have young kids. It makes you worried right? I've been here a long time, more than 10 years and I've never seen anything like this."

ticrawford@vancouversun.com

SEE MORE PHOTOS HERE
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Read more: Vancouver police arrest five men after 19-year-old man killed in sword attack

fucked up 'cause the guy gradded from my school..
RIP
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/56486...thread-88.html
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Live by the sword, die by the sword
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
my bad..
Old 01-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #5

^
No worries.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,419 Times in 917 Posts
I was there at like 11:35. The area has the caution tape for the whole block and is filled with cops. Cbc was filming the area at the time probably going to see it on the news tonight.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
teenagers are stupid in general so i'm not too surprised by an attack with bats,swords,etc

hell i remember Gladstone in the late 80s and 90s, chains, bats, knives, etc, etc were common
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
Decapitation. Yikes. I wonder how the others received their injuries. Sounds like a bizarre situation.

Kev
Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
teenagers are stupid in general so i'm not too surprised by an attack with bats,swords,etc

hell i remember Gladstone in the late 80s and 90s, chains, bats, knives, etc, etc were common
I remember this huge fight we had at aces pool hall on victoria drive back in 99, brown guys vs viet guys, the viet guys had machetes and versace belts, we had bats and our fists. We all spilled out on Victoria drive, 40 guys just going at each other, it was quite the sight but luckily no one was seriously injured.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #10

this area is fuckin sketchy lol.. i wanna move to west side now
Old 01-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't call a hack and slash fest a shooting though... Perhaps the shooting thread should be renamed to "homicide thread".
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #12

he was identified here:

Victim identified in deadly East Vancouver sword attack - British Columbia - CBC News
Quote:
A man killed with a sword in a targeted attack in east Vancouver Wednesday night was 19-year-old Manraj Akalirai, the CBC has learned.

Akalirai was attacked by a large group on Elgin Street near East 47th Avenue, just south of Memorial South Park, at about 10:30 p.m. PT, police said. Several weapons were used in the attack, including bats, clubs and a sword.

Police said the sword hasn't been recovered, but they've determined it was the weapon that killed Akalirai because of the nature of his injuries and a scabbard found on scene.

Five men aged between 19 and 21 were arrested in connection with the attack. Two have since been released. No charges have been laid.

Police said four of the five suspects were arrested at Vancouver General Hospital, where one suspect was treated for injuries.
elgin street at 47th avenueElgin Street at East 47th Avenue

A vehicle was also seized at the hospital, along with another from East 41st Avenue and Ross Street.

Investigators said Akalirai did not have a criminal record. He recently graduated from Gladstone High School.

Police believe the fight originated in the house next door to the yard where Akalirai was found.

It is thought the attack was drug-related and may have had a loose gang connection.

The incident was the city’s first homicide of 2013.
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
I remember this huge fight we had at aces pool hall on victoria drive back in 99, brown guys vs viet guys, the viet guys had machetes and versace belts, we had bats and our fists. We all spilled out on Victoria drive, 40 guys just going at each other, it was quite the sight but luckily no one was seriously injured.
How did no one get hurt when they were wielding machetes

Also, please do tell more of your gang fight escapades.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post

Quote:
He recently graduated from Gladstone High School.
the hell
Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post
How did no one get hurt when they were wielding machetes

Also, please do tell more of your gang fight escapades.
Machetes were just to act hard, no one pulled it out and used it but I do remember my friends get belted by the Versace belts.

Lol, that's the only fight I can remember from high school days
Old 01-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #16

the victim was "known to police" because of 2 speeding tickets -_-

just on cbcnews
Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #17
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
tougher laws on swords! jk... but seriously people are fcked up
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #18
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Quote:
same thing happened in Fleetwood park about 15yrs ago. Over 50 people chains, spiked bats, swords etc. Someone got their arm cut off before the cops came and it was beyond a shit show. Buddy lived across the street and we were watching amazed and shocked
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #19
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
LET'S BAN ALL SWORDS!

WE MUST PUT COPS IN ALL THE SCHOOLS, ARMED WITH SWORDS!!!

FUCK THE NSA (the National Sword Association) AND ALL THOSE LOONIE TOONS! FUCK THE Uhhhh... er, what part of the Constitution protects sword ownership? Oh wait, swords would be classified as "arms" too, I guess... SECOND AMENDMENT, WOOT, I HAVE THE RIGHT PACK A SAMURAI SWORD AROUND!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #20

you guys must realize that we're in Canada it's a separate country from the USA
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #21

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #22

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
How do the perpetrators sustain injuries when it was one guy versus a numerous amount of others??
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #23
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Holy shit, I lived here 49th and victoria vancouver - Google Maps back in like... 96-97?

Does anyone remember a blue NSX with the license plate "Nasty1"? I used to see it around this neighborhood in like...94... and my friends who lived around there were scared shitless of the driver, haha.

That 7-11 was trouble after dark, that whole neighborhood was! I got jumped twice just going to the pizza place a block away, but I managed to run away both times with my pizza across the street. Then I was sucker punched coming out of the 7-11 at like 3 AM with some chips and shit. I dated a brown girl around there as well, and her vietnamese roommate had a boyfriend who smashed beer bottles on my car(Daytona Turbo)because I said her chicken dinner smelled bad. It did, it smelled like burnt hair. I didn't mean to be offensive!

I lived with a chinese family for a few months there, they were such nice people, the mom literally worked 16 hour days.
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #24
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
LET'S BAN ALL SWORDS!

WE MUST PUT COPS IN ALL THE SCHOOLS, ARMED WITH SWORDS!!!

FUCK THE NSA (the National Sword Association) AND ALL THOSE LOONIE TOONS! FUCK THE Uhhhh... er, what part of the Constitution protects sword ownership? Oh wait, swords would be classified as "arms" too, I guess... SECOND AMENDMENT, WOOT, I HAVE THE RIGHT PACK A SAMURAI SWORD AROUND!

I can read sarcasm, but to add some legit insight to the thread..

Blades that are deemed as too large for any possible peaceful use are illegal to have on your person in public.

I could holster my short blade KA-BAR on me in public, but the only legal reason for having it on me, would have to be because I'd be using it as a tool, not as a self-defense weapon. Such a blade is pretty much the tipping point in terms of legal carry in a populated place. My autobody teacher carried a KA-BAR with him everywhere without any problem.

It varies greatly by location, if you're in the woods with an axe, it's assumed that the axe is for chopping wood, and is legal. However, brandish an axe in the middle of Vancouver, and you'll be yanked off the street faster than you could blink an eye.

Then there is the legality issue with automatic or spring knives, which is why switchblades are illegal. Even though they are small, they are made for the purpose of quickly deploying and using as a PDW. The law would argue that you could have bought a simple folding blade as a tool.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #25
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Looks like we need some tighter sword control laws!
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: