REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Friend got ticket for staying over / house sitting in front of my place... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/679693-friend-got-ticket-staying-over-house-sitting-front-my-place.html)

svelt 01-26-2013 11:53 PM

Friend got ticket for staying over / house sitting in front of my place...

So, my block has these parking signs that say "Residents of block XXX only", but I figured it would be fine if my buddy parked for a few days in front of my place to look after it while I'm away (I do not have a garage spot since I live in the basement). Turns out it's not and he got a ticket for it! A... why would someone be so anal to call about a car that isn't even in front of their house. (I'm guessing it's because they see a foreign car there for a few days) B, can this be disputed since he's technically staying over and it's my place? What if he's temporarily living with me - he can be essentially deemed a resident too, no? Are we SOL? It doesn't say home-owners or renters only, a resident can mean someone staying over at the place. I seriously think it's debatable and feel like we'd rather risk the penalty and dispute it out of principle because IMO it's pretty ridiculous and boils our blood a bit.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only guy who isn't a douchebag on my block. I don't mind if someone takes my spot every so often and needs it, I just park a few spots down =\

beproud 01-27-2013 12:15 AM

That also happend to me,I just ended up paying for the ticket eh. You can try writing a letter to the city that the car belonged to you? Doesn't hurt to try eh. I was too lazy to do it myself haha
Posted via RS Mobile

Timpo 01-27-2013 12:44 AM

This happened to my brother.

Except it was actually at his house. He parked in front of his house and got a ticket for it.
I don't know if that's because he got a new car only like couple weeks ago or whatever(so random asshole decided to call the municipality), but as ridiculous as it sounds, he got a ticket for parking HIS car right in front of HIS house.

He simply wrote a letter saying "Why did I get a ticket for parking my own car in front of my house! Give me a clear explanation!" and they just wrote him a letter saying that they threw the ticket away, no explanation though. It was weird.

Sky_High 01-27-2013 11:05 AM

Which area do you live in? Is it one of those areas ie. PNE, Cambie village that provides those window stickers for your vehicle?

svelt 01-27-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky_High (Post 8143426)
Which area do you live in? Is it one of those areas ie. PNE, Cambie village that provides those window stickers for your vehicle?

Nope, stickers not required...everyone parks on the street without them. In fact I've parked all over the street sometimes because people take my spot at times as well. I'm guessing whichever insufferable neighbor called in must have recognized my car on the few times I've parked in front of his/her house.

Anyway I'll try the letter route. No harm to it really. Wonder if they'll run my buddy's plates and see he's not even registered in the same city... I guess if so you have to get them to change their address if they're staying over temporarily?? (or park 5 blocks away). So I have a property and I can't even have someone else I know park in front of it? Does anyone else think this is a little...draconian? (yes, I know I do not own the street, but still, I think it is civil that you should be allowed to let anyone you want to be in front of your house).

racerman88 02-10-2013 02:19 PM

My understanding is that if it is a resident parking only zone, those are enforced on a complaint basis.
Person calling in gives a description or plate number and the car is ticketed if it is still in the resident parking only zone.
If the vehicle registration is not registered to a house on that block then it will be ticketed.
You can try calling in to see what the office can do for you. Worse they can say is no, pay the ticket.

racerman88 02-10-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svelt (Post 8143455)
So I have a property and I can't even have someone else I know park in front of it? Does anyone else think this is a little...draconian? (yes, I know I do not own the street, but still, I think it is civil that you should be allowed to let anyone you want to be in front of your house).

This is only because your neighbourhood has a resident parking only zone. If your block did not have those signs, then you would be fine having friends parking in front of your house.

Inaii 02-10-2013 02:27 PM

If it's in burnaby a guest may only stay in one spot for 3 hours maximum (stupid, I know). Also a guest =/= a resident. Even someone who comes on a regular scheduled basis at the same time for the same amount of time, is not considered a resident. They have to permanently live at the address.

Our next door neighbour likes to complain when we're 2 feet past our property line with the car. Their excuse? You're not my tenant. People do some really stupid things. Maybe you have a neighbour you pissed off somehow...

subordinate 02-10-2013 07:45 PM

word, some people have issues. I can understand if it happens everyday, but time to time and you write a letter (place it under my wipers?), petty. Id hate to work with them.
Posted via RS Mobile

winson604 02-18-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerman88 (Post 8156633)
This is only because your neighbourhood has a resident parking only zone. If your block did not have those signs, then you would be fine having friends parking in front of your house.

Not exactly true. In Vancouver it's called the 3hr Bylaw. Between 8-6 you can only park for 3 hours unless you live in the area.

svelt - They've already ran your friends plate. That's why he was ticketed. For complaint based violations like 3hr bylaw or RPO Zones they run the plates first before proceeding to ticket or not. This applies to Vancouver, I can't comment on other Cities.

Nlkko 02-19-2013 09:27 AM

You have scumbag neighbors... Write "visitor of house# xyz" and put it on the dash. Then park away.
Posted via RS Mobile

Soundy 03-02-2013 11:24 AM

Before you blame the neighbors, it's also possible a bylaw officer went through checking as well. CoV bylaw cops can be really anal sometimes.

jlenko 03-02-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 8156638)
Our next door neighbour likes to complain when we're 2 feet past our property line with the car.

Last time I checked, property lines didn't extend onto the street... as in, your neighbor does not own the street too.

Tell them to stuff it.