REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Buying a stab proof vest online? Afraid of being confiscated (https://www.revscene.net/forums/679742-buying-stab-proof-vest-online-afraid-being-confiscated.html)

iKayChow 01-28-2013 12:09 PM

Buying a stab proof vest online? Afraid of being confiscated

Hey guys, so I want to buy a stab proof vest off ebay (not looking for comments about why ebay or why being cheap lulzz) regardless it is kr1 and sp1 rated and its coming from the UK. I'm afraid of what will happen with it at the border, it being pretty much a tactical vest.

Reason for wanting it is, I'm a security guard looking for some additional protection. Idea came from a co-worker also wearing one, just telling me he rather be safe then sorry. I read (Body Armour Permit and Permit Exemptions - Security Industry and Licensing - Ministry of Justice) and I won't need a permit since I have a security license :

Who May Possess Body Armour WITHOUT a Permit
Individuals exempt from requiring a permit to possess body armour while performing the job on which the exemption is granted are:

Those who have a valid B.C. security worker licence authorizing them to provide the services of an armoured car guard, a private investigator, a security consultant, a security guard and / or a body armour salesperson.
Peace officers, sheriffs, corrections officers and conservation officers.
Those employed by the government if wearing body armour is required or allowed in the course of the person's employment.
Security guards registered as a gaming worker under the Gaming Control Act.
Individuals who possess a valid firearms licence issued under the Firearms Act (Canada).

Other then that I'm afraid it might not make it through the border and might even lead to investigation as to why I need one, simply i'm just paranoid about a lot of factors lulz.

Anyone have any experience with this?

parm104 01-28-2013 12:12 PM

MAJOR FAIL ON MY PART! LOL Didn't read your full post...just jumped to a conclusion...sorry OP.

GLOW 01-28-2013 12:16 PM

i would suggest checking cbsa's site as to what is prohibited and what isn't in terms of importing in to canada. if it's not allowed i believe there's a chance it will be confiscated.

OP probably needs it because he's in security (he said he has his license) and probably feels safer rocking one in case someone he decides to be uncle phil and DJ jazzy jeff someone out the door tries to shank him.

iKayChow 01-28-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8144474)
i would suggest checking cbsa's site as to what is prohibited and what isn't in terms of importing in to canada. if it's not allowed i believe there's a chance it will be confiscated.

OP probably needs it because he's in security (he said he has his license) and probably feels safer rocking one in case someone he decides to be uncle phil and DJ jazzy jeff someone out the door tries to shank him.

Clip from Fresh Prince In Bel Air - Jazz gets thrown out - YouTube

yeah, i've been looking at the cbsa site and the bc acts but can't find anything. don't know who to call or email on the sites either :okay:

GLOW 01-28-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iKayChow (Post 8144482)
yeah, i've been looking at the cbsa site and the bc acts but can't find anything. don't know who to call or email on the sites either :okay:

you can email CBSA or call them regarding questions on prohibited items, they are slow to reply.

i forget the contact as it's been a while but it's on cbsa's website

DragonChi 01-28-2013 12:32 PM

All hail google...

Border Information Service (BIS)

Gh0stRider 01-28-2013 12:33 PM

does your company have any policies in regards to body armour?

is your work that rough that you need it? unless your at a night club or something.

iKayChow 01-28-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0stRider (Post 8144486)
does your company have any policies in regards to body armour?

is your work that rough that you need it? unless your at a night club or something.

not sure if my company has any policies, but a "senior" up from me wears one just cause he rather not take risks.. even has a camera attached to his jacket incase anything happens just so it can be on film for added protection (all of this he buys with his own money). Our supervisor is also aware of this and doesn't mind

i wouldn't say its rough, but its in the DTES and i deal with druggies with needles daily, had one aggressive person where the guy attempted to assault a co worker coming in to check on me and in reality we're almost always alone and back up isn't going to be showing up for a while.

these situations are part of the job.. and just rather lower the risks if i could.. could almost says it like riding a motorcycle.. you buy/wear gear for added protection if anything happens :okay:

Yodamaster 01-28-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iKayChow (Post 8144487)
not sure if my company has any policies, but a "senior" up from me wears one just cause he rather not take risks.. even has a camera attached to his jacket incase anything happens just so it can be on film for added protection (all of this he buys with his own money). Our supervisor is also aware of this and doesn't mind

i wouldn't say its rough, but its in the DTES and i deal with druggies with needles daily, had one aggressive person where the guy attempted to assault a co worker coming in to check on me and in reality we're almost always alone and back up isn't going to be showing up for a while.

these situations are part of the job.. and just rather lower the risks if i could.. could almost says it like riding a motorcycle.. you buy/wear gear for added protection if anything happens :okay:

You've already quoted the section regarding exemptions, and you told us that you do have your license. Perhaps it might be worth contacting the CBSA before you attempt to bring it over, but if you do show them all the supporting documentation, I don't think you'll have a problem.

iKayChow 01-28-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodamaster (Post 8144489)
You've already quoted the section regarding exemptions, and you told us that you do have your license. Perhaps it might be worth contacting the CBSA before you attempt to bring it over, but if you do show them all the supporting documentation, I don't think you'll have a problem.

i would suppose it would be like that, will probably call the cbsa tomorrow once i'm for sure can't find anything on it. just dont want 200 dollars being confiscated :okay:

murd0c 01-28-2013 02:26 PM

I have to ask what security company do you work for? You should ask your boss/manager will know the rules you have questions with.

StylinRed 01-28-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iKayChow (Post 8144467)
and might even lead to investigation as to why I need one

why would that be a concern? unless the situation isn't as you've described... :suspicious:

Manic! 01-28-2013 02:36 PM

Located in BC custom fit. Don't know the price.

VestFriend Body Armor

noventa 01-28-2013 02:41 PM

do you work for paladin security? Any chance you can hook me up with a job?

noventa 01-28-2013 02:45 PM

here is a stab proof vest on craiglists for 350
Stab proof vest

alternatively, you can put metal plates into the pockets of your normal vest, and by this way, you can make selected parts of your vest "stab proof". (stacking used tin can lids works wells).

Sunfighter 01-28-2013 03:20 PM

iKayChow, I cannot contribute to your thread ... but if I was in your situation I would be looking for the exact same kind of protection.

It's interesting the legalities surrounding the purchase of body-armour.

trollface 01-28-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noventa (Post 8144554)
here is a stab proof vest on craiglists for 350
Stab proof vest

alternatively, you can put metal plates into the pockets of your normal vest, and by this way, you can make selected parts of your vest "stab proof". (stacking used tin can lids works wells).

I donno about you, but im not buying a vest thats suposed to save my life off craiglist.

stylez-p 01-28-2013 04:06 PM

check this guy out VestFriend Body Armor

It's a local guy that sells it in Surrey. Tell him you know James should be $200
My guys at the club all got them there

iKayChow 01-28-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8144533)
I have to ask what security company do you work for? You should ask your boss/manager will know the rules you have questions with.

don't know if i should say lulz, might look bad on the companies behalf and i signed confidentiality forms and stuff.

@stylinred

honestly 100% the truth no bs as to actually being scared. like i'm 21 and just trying to get experience in the field to maybe someday join the VPD or RCMP :okay:

iKayChow 01-28-2013 04:39 PM

was going to get this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/230868039541?...#ht_1610wt_906 if anyone was wondering what specifically im trying to get

Jgresch 01-28-2013 04:40 PM

Stop saying lulz.

iKayChow 01-28-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noventa (Post 8144550)
do you work for paladin security? Any chance you can hook me up with a job?

sorry man don't work at paladin. just a plain ol' static guard in a parking lot with little to no connections :okay: though if you want my opinion i hear concord is pretty awesome being able to work in malls. if you're looking for experience seems like they'll be the best bet (i'll probably be applying there when school ends for this year)

though downside to concord would probably be your friends harassing you at the mall. i imagine if i saw my friends at metro while i'm on duty they'll give me shit such as "OH SHIT SECURITY, DONT ARREST ME" :okay: ahaha and i wouldnt know what to do

Brianrietta 01-28-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iKayChow (Post 8144669)
i imagine if i saw my friends at metro while i'm on duty they'll give me shit such as "OH SHIT SECURITY, DONT ARREST ME" :okay: ahaha and i wouldnt know what to do

You throw them out of the fucking mall. :troll:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...ta/getout3.gif

Manic! 01-28-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iKayChow (Post 8144662)
was going to get this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/230868039541?...#ht_1610wt_906 if anyone was wondering what specifically im trying to get

I would spend an extra $100 and get one that's sized to fit you.

Recon604 01-28-2013 05:51 PM

pretty sure u can get them at any surplus stores. 3vets , gorilla surplus etc.