REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Help Develop a Wireless Code

here's ur chance to make ur voice heard (or not...for that matter.)

CRTC is coming up with new code of conduct (draft code for wireless providers), and asking for input.

Quote:
Developing a Wireless Code

Last year, we asked Canadians to help us develop a national code for cell phones and other mobile devices – one that that would be straightforward and easy to understand.

The response was tremendous. You told us about your experiences with wireless companies. And you shared your ideas about how wireless contracts can be made a whole lot clearer.

We’ve compiled your suggestions into a draft document. Now we’re ready to take the next step and find out what you think of the Draft Code.

Share your thoughts on the Draft Code by February 15

The Draft Code is a working document. To help finalize it, we’d like your input. Let us know what you think of the Draft Code. Is anything missing?

We’re accepting comments and suggestions until February 15, 2013.

You’re also welcome to listen to and participate in the hearing that begins Feb

Help Develop a Wireless Code | Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission
Advertisement
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Things I approve of:
Quote:
D2.1
Changes to contracts by service providers

Option 1:The consumer has the right to cancel the contract without penalty if the service provider amends the contract.

Option 2: Service providers may change contract terms and conditions on the condition that (1) the elements of the contract that may be changed are specified in the contract; and (2) the service provider sends the consumer, at least 30 days before the change comes into force, a clear written notice of the change and when it will occur. If the change would increase the consumer's obligations or reduce the service provider’s obligations, the consumer may refuse the change or cancel the contract without cost or monetary penalty by sending the service provider written notice to that effect no later than 30 days after the change comes into force.
Quote:
D4.3
New: “Unlimited plans”

Service providers that offer “unlimited” plans must explain at the time of sale and in the personalized information summary whether there are limits to the “unlimited” plan and whether the service provider retains the discretion to move the consumer to a “limited” plan if these usage limits are exceeded. Service providers must also explicitly explain, in their fair use policies, the amount of use that will trigger the application of the policy; describe the consequences to the consumer should the policy be applied; and implement internal policies and maintain records that will enable them to demonstrate that they apply fair use policies reasonably.
Quote:
D7.1
Unlocking phones

Option 1:Where the service provider has provided a locked wireless device to a consumer, it must provide the consumer with the means to unlock the device after no more than 30 days of service, at the rate specified in the contract and personalized information summary.

Option 2: The conditions under which a wireless device may be unlocked depend on whether the wireless device provided was subsidized or not.

Subsidized wireless device: Where the service provider has provided a subsidized wireless device to a consumer, the service provider must provide the consumer with the means to unlock the device after no more than 30 days of service, at the rate specified in the contract and personalized information summary.

Mobile wireless device not subsidized: Where the service provider has provided a mobile device to a consumer, and the device (1) was provided without a subsidy, or (2) is no longer on contract, the service provider must provide the consumer with the means to unlock the device at any time and at no charge.
What should have been included:

Different prices for keeping with a plan if you don't have a subsidized phone. Seems a little silly that if I decide to stay with a plan that included a subsidized phone after my contract is over, I'm still paying the same amount.

Discontinue three year terms. I understand their usefulness and why companies continue to offer them, but it seems like too many consumers out there are unaware of certain things. As much as I hate to see things be sorted out to placate the lowest common denominator, it's probably in the CRTC's best interest to deep six this long of a contract length.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Oh god...fuck-ing cell phones.

"Hey guys....we had it pretty sweet with our old phone monopoly system"

"fuck yeah we did Fred. There was a grandmother out there that rented a phone for 55 years. We fucked her up good"

"oh yeah. Good ole days. So listen. There is this new "wireless" shit out there. I think its going to be big. BUT, I want to learn from our mistakes on this, now to be known as 'landline' phone biz. I want to meter EVERYTHING. And fuck! we can charge them for text messages even though its goddamned free! And contracts! Contracts out the ass."

"yeah Bob...but here's the best part. Let's tell them that this new POShizzle phone will do everything but massage their balls...oh wait...vibrate...well, do everything. THEN, 2 years later, tell them their phone is shit and they need the NEw one."

And the cell phone industry was born.

And just cause...

Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Let in more competition! who do i write to about that?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

^ last i heard some comp. from US was coming to canada.. not sure anymore.

i worked for bell in the east and mobility in west. if u think about it.. its quite pricey to put up infrastructure , however not enough user base. so i understand why we pay more.

but on top of that companies charge bogus charges like activation/cancelation which is kinda bullshit.. even if i port out my phone i need to pay for whole month, even when i dont get service (again bullshit)

3 years contract
Telecom providers meet regulary to come up with policies ... like 3 years term contract.

No deal if u dont sign contract.
alot of deals u can only get if u sign up for contract.. this is the biggest load of crap. i usually get free phones. but cant get good deals as i dont wanna signup for contract.

hope things change.

Last edited by tool001; 01-28-2013 at 10:01 PM.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

The deadline to have your Voice Heard is February 15th guys.

Please go online and post your comments, the most popular topic right now is REDUCING contract lengths FROM 3 YEARS TO 2!!

The current draft is leaving this out, which means 3 year contracts will still be the norm in Canada. Every westernized country has 2 year max contracts. so please go post or raise your concerns.

Also you can call BC's commissioner, Stephen B. Simpson at 604-666-2914 to let him know your thoughts.

Thanks!
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Let in more competition! who do i write to about that?
you can make complaints here, the more the better:

CRTC Complaints and Inquiries Form

or you can contact the chairman and commisioners here:

CRTC roles: Commissioners and Secretary General | CRTC

2 year contracts allow people to switch between competitors and allows for more competition = requires companies to actually care more about prices and services and products.

BTW, the thread title should be changed as it's somewhat confusing. I missed this thread the first time it came around.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post

but on top of that companies charge bogus charges like activation/cancelation which is kinda bullshit..
Activation charge is pretty lame but I don't think it's bullshit to charge a cancellation fee. If you go into a store and sign a 3 year contract, get an iphone 5 for $0. Why would it be free to opt out? The cancelation fee right now is basically the price of the phone (upto $600).

I think companies should start promoting their month to month contracts instead of 2 year or 3 year contracts. People need to know that buying a phone upfront will save you a lot of money and headache in the future. If your relationship with the cellphone company goes sour, you can just opt out for free. Also buying a phone and hopping on a month to month gets you a discount on the monthly plan. Too bad 90% of cell phone users aren't aware of this.
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
I'll chime in,

The level of service we get in this country is much better than the US, with that said, it comes at a cost and of course, this cost gets passed on to the consumer. Understandable concept. Sadly the customer service SUCKS when shit needs to be done. That is the tip of the iceberg

3 year contracts. I dont mind 3 years as long as I have some sort of breathing room with my plan and such. Give us the freedom to swap plans to PROMOTIONAL PLANS without needing to resign a 3 year contract.

Most complaints through telco are in regards to billing or price. Although the above wouldn't drive up the competition, it does however allow the consumer to have more "say" in regards to their contract.

Aside from that, make it a law that all consumers have the ability to acquire said PROMO PLAN for no less than a 6month? 12 month contract and such.

Hardware

Most people here would be against this policy, but this is kind of how it works in Hong Kong, listed price for iPhone5 on 24months is $0, but you prepay the full amount. You pay a monthly service, but money will be deducted from the total monthly service bill until the phone is "paid off"

This is the reverse of how our hardware scheme works, at the same time, yes you pay a big amount up front for a phone, but your monthly service(as long as the carrier plays fair game and keeps it to like.. the consistent $65ish mark in monthly fees) gets "cheaper" every month as the phone pricing will be credited back to you.

If you decide to leave, then the carrier just keeps whatever amount is left over.

Cancellation Fees.

Terminology is important here. Staff are trained to say "service agreement" and by signing, you agree to the damn terms. There is no free lunch here, if you cancel, you pay, how to keep the prices down? I liked the old system from Rogers, $20 x months remaining capped off at $200, with the Data being at $5 x months capped at 100

combine the above and with the "prepay" for device system and I think we have a fair agreement here. As for the promo plan available for everyone? thats a great idea as well

Thats just how I see it.
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote