REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #76
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post
Hahaha, what a fail

Explain to me why this "fuck my life" mantra is causing me to blow all my money ... You probably mean YOLO there gramps

Also the title's a fail too, the aritlce only mentioned Yaletown once. The butt-hurt authors simply talking about people who pay for lavish lifestyles on credit.
Posted via RS Mobile
you are funny, keep blowing your money and live for now......hahaha!
Advertisement
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #77
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
In reality, how many people actually give a fuck.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/67858...c-yo-whip.html
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #78
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
you are funny, keep blowing your money and live for now......hahaha!
there is no right/wrong perspective, as much you want to convince someone your way the reality of it is that the other person will find it hell to live like that

and really, what would you get if you convinced jason to get a "real job" lol
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #79
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Thank social media. Kids feel the need to show the world every bloody thing they do online now. In reality, how many people actually give a fuck.
Yup I'm pretty sure we all have those friends on social media sites that update their status every damn time they're doing something. I wish we could fail or unlike posts then maybe they would get the message.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #80
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
All I know is what I've been told, and the word is, avoid a life of debt and materialism at all costs.

Since that advice came almost indentically from every elderly man and woman I've met, I'm going to side with experience.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #81
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
Yup I'm pretty sure we all have those friends on social media sites that update their status every damn time they're doing something. I wish we could fail or unlike posts then maybe they would get the message.
you can just unfollow/unfriend them or hide all their posts.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #82
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
All I know is what I've been told, and the word is, avoid a life of debt and materialism at all costs.

Since that advice came almost indentically from every elderly man and woman I've met, I'm going to side with experience.
Alternatively, they grew up in such a different time and their world views are completely different. Also, you probably had more sex partners in High School than they had in their entire lives. The way we date totally influences our spending habits.

Spending money/saving can lead to different experiences
Materialism/Non-materialism can lead to different social experiences

We're in Vancouver, the 2nd least affordable city in the world, this could be another reason why you see people choosing the extremes of saving every penny, or blowing cash left and right!
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #83
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

out of all my friends, I only have a few friends that blow their bankroll whenever they get a pay day

so I wouldn't say the majority of youth do this, just the insecure ones
Isaiah11 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #84
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah11 View Post
out of all my friends, I only have a few friends that blow their bankroll whenever they get a pay day

so I wouldn't say the majority of youth do this, just the insecure ones

Wouldn't they actually be the ones who are more secure?

To go through life blowing your cash, you're trading future security for experiences.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #85
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 10:17 AM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #86
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 View Post
Wouldn't they actually be the ones who are more secure?

To go through life blowing your cash, you're trading future security for experiences.
That's one way of looking at it to compliment your own views.

Others might regard that kind of behaviour as ignorant and irresponsible. Good thing in Canada though we still have bankruptcy and wellfare, so they can fall back on something after they've blown through all the credit. Of course, wellfare backed by tax payer money.

I guess it's something good while it lasts, but they won't be able to apply for new credit cards forever, and monthly minimum payments will start to add up. Not to mention cheap credit will dry up in the next couple of years.
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #87
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,125 Posts
In the view of some on this thread, sex with as many women as possible is to be considered life's paramount "experience" and everything in life should be directed to the pursuit of that experience.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #88
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Living pay cheque to pay cheque just seems so fcuked to me.

Though, if I were living at home and was 20, I could see how that would be an acceptable way of life for some. But, past 30... No chance
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #89
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
I feel like I am in the middle. I have a good paying job, but after the last few years, saving isnt high on my priority list, even at 29 years old. Travelling is, and thats what I plan on doing. Experiencing the world. Everyo e has a different personality. I would like the wife and kids some day, but I feel like I am in the prime of my life. Im not going to waste it sitting at home twiddling my thumbs to save a few pennies
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #90

I think there is no shame in spending money, even spending your enitre paycheque, to travel. The experience and perspective gained from travel is truly priceless.

What I think most can agree with is spending money on bottle service at the Opus Bar, and leasing an M3 in the pursuit of scoring with women and increasing social status in Vancouver (which is rather meaningless in the grand scheme of things) is foolish and short-sighted.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #91
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post
That type of lifestyle is just so risky. Realistically if you miss three paychecks you could go from renting in gastown to lingering in East Van
Posted via RS Mobile

east van not good enough for your standards

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #92
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,789 Times in 1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I think there is no shame in spending money, even spending your enitre paycheque, to travel. The experience and perspective gained from travel is truly priceless.

What I think most can agree with is spending money on bottle service at the Opus Bar, and leasing an M3 in the pursuit of scoring with women and increasing social status in Vancouver (which is rather meaningless in the grand scheme of things) is foolish and short-sighted.
Posted via RS Mobile
I agree. It's all a balance.

Sure I could not go to Whistler next week and save the cash I'm spending on hotel, food & lift tickets.

On the other hand, what's a few bucks in the bank account to stay at home and be bored & miserable.

Everyone needs a hobby to stimulate their mind & soul. But that hobby shouldn't put you in debt.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #93
I don't get it

Live within your means and you'll be good to go. Put some money on the side for life emergencies.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #94
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Posted via RS Mobile

One can argue that if you're an entrepreneur, the people you may network with while having bottle service at Opus could lead to prosperous business arrangements.

Leasing an M3/Cool ride when you're young is a hell of a lot of fun. The Supra and S2000 would almost be a waste on me at 34, but years ago they were such a source of fun and pride for me. Going to the drags with my Mustangs were timeless memories!

Social status is important. If you're well known you don't have to do anything to meet women, they come to you! Not to mention all of the perks if you're famous, being paid to go to events, being sent invitations to restaurant openings, the Opus street parties, and so on. Of course, you can also get social status through academics/activism/politics, not just through being socially fluid.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #95
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,489 Times in 4,301 Posts
The article touches base on the extremities of this particular "class" of people but on a realistic level, if you want to make money, you also have to spend money.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #96
I don't get it

Funny how this article solely targets the male side of the 30k millionaires when on the flipside of the coin, female's themselves are just as bad if not worse.

Still an entertaining read into West side living I suppose.

Snoop Dogg - Starksy & Hutch
Sushi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #97
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
The article touches base on the extremities of this particular "class" of people but on a realistic level, if you want to make money, you also have to spend money.
Unless a person just works a day job and doesn't invest.

Paycheque = rent, food, car, savings
Repeat until whenever.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #98
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I blame all this on the Keeping Up with The Kardashians .. Trophy Wives.. and all the other phoney Real Housewives..Millionaire Matchmaker.. shows out there... they teach many things in school but not the most important... Earning and spending money is an important part of life.. They should teach the proper real way to do it and watching these stupid shows are not the way it works.
Posted via RS Mobile
booge_man is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #99

Quote:
One can argue that if you're an entrepreneur, the people you may network with while having bottle service at Opus could lead to prosperous business arrangements.
I've been to the Opus on a Friday night and it's not full of entrepreneurs: it's full of 30K millionaires and women who are looking to score a sugar daddy.

There are circles where entrepreneurs run in this town and they ain't at the Opus on a Friday night. But, I can't deny that the eye candy is fun.

Quote:
Leasing an M3/Cool ride when you're young is a hell of a lot of fun. The Supra and S2000 would almost be a waste on me at 34, but years ago they were such a source of fun and pride for me. Going to the drags with my Mustangs were timeless memories!
Memories are great - I can't deny that. You may have been able to avoid bankruptcy when the good times ended because you're a hustler. While you may have blown money like a mofo and lived the good life and lived to tell about it, how many others would be able to do the same? Not too many, I'm afraid. The law of averages exists for a reason.

On the hand, on the internet, everyone is an outlier and has defeated the odds.

Quote:
Social status is important. If you're well known you don't have to do anything to meet women, they come to you! Not to mention all of the perks if you're famous, being paid to go to events, being sent invitations to restaurant openings, the Opus street parties, and so on. Of course, you can also get social status through academics/activism/politics, not just through being socially fluid.
There's ways to obtain social status without spending money you don't have. Working hard and earning money the real way. Developing a personality and knowing how to talk to people. Being charismatic. Or, perhaps a combination of all of these attributes. That's what most of us are advocating - earning social status the right way.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #100
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
this is why vancouver is fucked up, people pay for stupid expensive shit that is way overpriced.

especially with clubs: expensive ass drinks and $20 cover...wtf is that, $300 month cross fit memberships
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: