REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #101
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
For me, its simple.

I tip for good service and don't for bad service. I also don't limit my tipping to the food industry.

-I tip the dude that removes junk
-I tip the lady that does my laundry
-I tip the people that clean the carpets
-I tip the plumber
-I tip the kid who washes my truck
-I tip the hairdresser, nail technician, and the people at the spa I go to.

What pisses me off is that people in the restaurant industry EXPECT tips...other service-based industries don't.

If you do a good job or go above what is typical....here is a little bonus. If you don't, why should I reward mediocrity?

Last week Gridlock and I went out to a new Mexican food restaurant. Place was dead yet the service was horrendous! took well over 30 mins to get Gridlock's food....mine wasn't brought until 10 mins later....and, we ordered the simplest meals: tacos. I sat and watched our waitress sit at the bar and play on her iPhone and re-do her hair and make-up in the mirror.

We didn't leave a tip. Simple as that.
and *cough* a certain cute little t-rex took to their facebook page to complain...
Advertisement
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #102
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
For me, its simple.

I tip for good service and don't for bad service. I also don't limit my tipping to the food industry.

-I tip the dude that removes junk
-I tip the lady that does my laundry
-I tip the people that clean the carpets
-I tip the plumber
-I tip the kid who washes my truck
-I tip the hairdresser, nail technician, and the people at the spa I go to.

What pisses me off is that people in the restaurant industry EXPECT tips...other service-based industries don't.

If you do a good job or go above what is typical....here is a little bonus. If you don't, why should I reward mediocrity?

Last week Gridlock and I went out to a new Mexican food restaurant. Place was dead yet the service was horrendous! took well over 30 mins to get Gridlock's food....mine wasn't brought until 10 mins later....and, we ordered the simplest meals: tacos. I sat and watched our waitress sit at the bar and play on her iPhone and re-do her hair and make-up in the mirror.

This is ridiculous and completely unacceptable.

You should never let a kid wash your truck!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #103
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #104
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:

This restaurant didn't happen to be in New West did it?
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #105
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
This is ridiculous and completely unacceptable.

You should never let a kid wash your truck!
rather let a kid wash it than richmond subaru

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #106
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
This restaurant didn't happen to be in New West did it?
Yes. Its a new one on 6th street. The food was great! They have 2$ tacos that are absolutely stellar, but the service was beyond horrible.

I will eat there again, but will only do take-out.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #107
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
A little late to the party with this post, but oh well.

I used to think tipping was kinda silly. After all, why tip someone for doing a job they're already doing? If they did an exceptional job, then I had no problem with forking over a few extra dollars, but otherwise I was rather uncaring about whether I tipped. However, I got to thinking about it this way: How many of you get bonus's at your jobs? If we (collectively we) finish a job early, or meet a sales quota, or pull in x-amount of customers, we're often given said bonus for doing so. The way I see it is that servers receiving tips are basically getting a bonus for doing a job well done. If they do a piss poor job, they don't get a tip (bonus). But the better they do, the better a tip they receive. Most jobs offer this incentive, so I don't really see a problem with following it as a customer at a restaurant.

Just a thought.
Isn't that pretty much what I said above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
And did you work a little harder, do a little extra, in hopes of getting a better tip? Because that's how it works in most of the rest of the working world: when you do a better job, you make more money (raises, promotions, bonuses, etc.). Do a shitty, half-assed job, and if you're lucky, you get stuck at your pay grade.. if not, you get "downsized".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
Anyhow, I am all for higher food prices and no tips. In fact I would welcome it with open arms if it were ever introduced.
You know, I'm good with the concept that tips are not to be EXPECTED... as long as I'm still allowed to tip if I think the service is worth it. To extend this though, I'd love if I could be sure that when I tip *MY SERVER*, that it's not getting automatically pooled and split with everyone else.

I've been tipped in industries that don't typically get tips - when I worked at A&B Sound, my coworker and I did a major complex alarm install in one guy's car - he brought us a case of beer. Did some side IT work for a guy once, got tipped a 26er of Crown Royal (blech, horrid stuff, but it's the thought that counts).

I have no problem giving something a little extra to someone who's provided me excellent service. It's when it becomes expected and even "forced" on me that it becomes a problem.
Quote:
Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #109
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Went to a sushi place with my gf last week. Places wans't too pack and service was excellent. Everytime we finish our tea, the watier would come and fill our tea cups. The nice thing is she ask frist before just filling them.

Meal only comes to about $15 but we tip her $4 just for good service.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #110
This title intentionally left blank MOD

Commonly get tipped with beer at work. Occasionally, the odd customer will tip anywhere from a few bucks for "coffee" to $15-20 for "lunch or beer".

Don't expect it, don't need it, and whenever I get tipped, I just give it to my boss to put towards beer or lunch for everyone. Or I just give it to the apprentices.

I don't work with the expectation that "better" work gets me a tip. I work with the expectation that I do the job well and the person will be a repeat customer, or that they'll tell their friends how well they were treated and how great the service was. To me, that's more invaluable.

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #111
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Went to a sushi place with my gf last week. Places wans't too pack and service was excellent. Everytime we finish our tea, the watier would come and fill our tea cups. The nice thing is she ask frist before just filling them.

Meal only comes to about $15 but we tip her $4 just for good service.
You want to be asked if you want your tea cup filled???

Quote:
To extend this though, I'd love if I could be sure that when I tip *MY SERVER*, that it's not getting automatically pooled and split with everyone else.
When I tip, I'd want the back staff having a piece of the pie as well. Since the food aspect is the other half of a great experience.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
When I tip, I'd want the back staff having a piece of the pie as well. Since the food aspect is the other half of a great experience.
Granted, but at the same time, it means other servers can slack off and know they're still going to get a cut of tips from those who are busting their butts.
Quote:
Old 02-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #113
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Granted, but at the same time, it means other servers can slack off and know they're still going to get a cut of tips from those who are busting their butts.
I think for the majority of restaurants, the tip goes directly to the server and the server cashes out according to her sales - to the kitchen, to bus boy/girl, bartender, and management.

The only places I'd hear about a pool of tips and its' split accordingly, are associated to Asian restaurants i.e/ dim sum places.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #114
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Anyone ever tell their server to bring the cook out and tip them directly and not the server? That would be awesome.

"Yes, can you bring out everyone else who was involved in my dinner tonite? I would like to tip them all, but not you you useless twat"
Old 02-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #115
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Anyone ever tell their server to bring the cook out and tip them directly and not the server? That would be awesome.

"Yes, can you bring out everyone else who was involved in my dinner tonite? I would like to tip them all, but not you you useless twat"
Actually, kind of.

My mom's allergic to Onion and Garlic, which is usually a huge problem when it comes to eating out (ABC and White Spot. That's basically it). So when she went on a trip to Quebec and Atlantic Canada with her friends this fall, they asked at the cafe around the corner from their hotel if the chef would be able to do something for their friend who had this affliction.

So he said yes and the next day they went over for a late lunch, and they mentioned that they were the same ladies--immeidately remembered by the server. So my mom looks through the menu and asks what could be done without onion and garlic. The reply from the server? "He said whatever you want from here, he'll make it. And if you don't see it but you think we can do it from the ingredients? He'll do that too." So she ordered whatever it was, and she said it was one of the best meals she's had in YEARS. So she asked the server if he could come out so she could thank him. So the cook comes out (apparently this very shy francophone dude) and my mom proceeds in her halting french to tell him it was one of the best meals she's ever had and that she wants to thank him and give him a tip beyond what they were leaving for the servers.

Now how's that for reason to leave a tip?
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #116
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
I think the consensus is if you have a good experience, tip - if you don't, then don't.

And don't be a smartass and ruin someone's day if you don't tip just out some misplaced principle you live by. No you don't owe them anything, but there's no reason to be an asshole about it; just get up and leave.

It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree with the whole culture, you do it because the human being who gave you your food was a nice enough person that you want to give them a little something extra, even if it's a buck or two.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #117
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
I think the consensus is if you have a good experience, tip - if you don't, then don't.
i think its better to leave a small tip if u receive bad service than to leave no tip at all, this way itll make the servers think y the tip was small rather than have them think ur just a cheap customer who doesnt tip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #118
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
i think its better to leave a small tip if u receive bad service than to leave no tip at all, this way itll make the servers think y the tip was small rather than have them think ur just a cheap customer who doesnt tip.
2 cents if its horrendous....it sends the message quite nicely.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #119
Banned By Establishment

Can't even leave 2 cents any more....must be 5 cent.

If it needs to be a min of 5 cent.....I LEAVE NOTHING!

Bitch-ass severs ain't gettin' my nickles.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #120
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,141 Times in 7,148 Posts
Quote:
In a perfect world, the theory behind the tip pool is that it gets other servers to pick up the slack if one person is getting super slammed, because their money hinges on every server getting good tips. At a restaurant where everyone is professional and on the same page, it works really well for getting people to help each other out. Once you get people leeching off of the system it fucks people over for sure though.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #121
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
fuck tips. why should i pay you for doing your job?

TIPS = HELPING THE RESTAURANT SAVE ON LABOR COSTS

why dont we tip every person out there so we can motivate them to do a better job?

i think getting fired would be a good enough motivation to work hard.
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #122
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,141 Times in 7,148 Posts
Perhaps you haven't read the last 5 pages of why they exist. You don't like them fine, but your question has already been answered.
Posted via RS Mobile
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #123
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
^^^

i've read so many tipping threads during my time on this planet that i sort of expect what the discussions gonna be like

i just dropped by to leave my opinion

TIPPING = SAVING THE RESTAURANT'S LABOR COST

and for those who consistently tip others for " doing a good job " on whatever the fuk they were doing for you...

please stop. sooner or later every1 and their mom is gonna expect a goddam tip
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #124
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
The funny thing is you never hear of servers coming out to a table and asking why the tip was low and what was wrong, you only hear of servers bitching about the cheap ass table that didn't tip enough.

entitlement is disgustion.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #125
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post
Don't expect it, don't need it, and whenever I get tipped, I just give it to my boss to put towards beer or lunch for everyone. Or I just give it to the apprentices.

I don't work with the expectation that "better" work gets me a tip. I work with the expectation that I do the job well and the person will be a repeat customer, or that they'll tell their friends how well they were treated and how great the service was. To me, that's more invaluable.
Exactly, what ever happened to doing a good job because it is part of your own personal standards? I only answer to myself and I'd do a stellar job even if I was doing something menial like janitorial service. I also wouldn't get a job in the first place just because it paid tips.

I personally hate the tipping culture because it pretty much has become expected in the restaurant industry.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D