REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   anyone know where to get cheap snowboard gear? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/679934-anyone-know-where-get-cheap-snowboard-gear.html)

heisenberg 02-01-2013 07:08 PM

anyone know where to get cheap snowboard gear?

im thinking of getting into snowboarding and stuff, but i dont want to be dishing out 600-1000 on brand new gear. doesnt have to be brand new, just have to be good enough to use seasonly. any thing would help!

Vangruver 02-02-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heisenberg (Post 8148767)
im thinking of getting into snowboarding and stuff, but i dont want to be dishing out 600-1000 on brand new gear. doesnt have to be brand new, just have to be good enough to use seasonly. any thing would help!

there are a few places in the lower mainland that specializes in consignment gear.

Depending on where you live, you can definitely make a day out of it.

For hard goods, such as snowboard/bindings/boots, go check out the following places:

Sports Junkies
Sports Junkies. For the best deal on new and used sporting goods.

102 W Broadway
Vancouver
(604) 879-6000

West Coast Sports
Winter Sports Store Vancouver: Ski and Snowboard Skate Shop | West Coast Sports

1675 W 4th Ave
Vancouver
(604) 732-4810

North Shore Sports Swap
Welcome to www.nvansportsswap.ca

2021 Old Dollarton Rd
North Vancouver
(604) 983-2272

There, you can discuss your needs with the associates. And majority of the time you'll be able to find a knowledgeable person that can assist you in the your specific needs. At those places as well, they will at times, carry new and consignment outerwear as well. So you can essentially get completely outfitted in gear that caters to your budget.

ON the other hand, if you know exactly what it is you're after, you can bargain hunt on craigslist and ebay. however be forwarned with craigslist, as it's buyer beware. The trials and tribulations of buying anything privately.

if you want, check out sportmart/sportcheck as well. They generally have pretty good deals on beginner to intermediate equipment and can also package you out a moderatly priced set up.

Hope any of this helps

Lamboda 02-02-2013 01:35 PM

Evogear .com

My buddies and I have always shopped there and I think will continue to shop there. You can pick up the stuff in store at Seattle for cheaper too (avoiding shipping and stuff). Use the coupons and compare the packages vs. individual items.

Vangruver 02-02-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamboda (Post 8149407)
Evogear .com

My buddies and I have always shopped there and I think will continue to shop there. You can pick up the stuff in store at Seattle for cheaper too (avoiding shipping and stuff). Use the coupons and compare the packages vs. individual items.

Even buying a package on evo gear will still tally up to more than 600 bucks for boots board and bindings.

And i'd be hard pressed to drive 2 hours to buy items to test the waters to see if i like the sport.

heisenberg 02-02-2013 04:16 PM

i was doing some research myself and found a place on craigslist that sells boards boots and binding for 150$, all used of course. the place is called cornersports. has anyone had any experience with them before?

XplicitLuder 02-03-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heisenberg (Post 8149514)
i was doing some research myself and found a place on craigslist that sells boards boots and binding for 150$, all used of course. the place is called cornersports. has anyone had any experience with them before?

That was the first place I went when looking at stuff. Ther selection is very limited as their shop isn't that big so don't expect too much, and I found that the boards had too many nicks n scrapes on them for my liking. The only thing I bought from them as it was an impulse buy was my boots which were 100$. I didn't think any other place would have size 15 lol. If you do go bring cash, as it saves you some $$ if you buy anything. As for other gears from there I don't know how it would be as my main focus when I went there was to look for a board so iuno bout their selection. Although I wouldn't be surprised if its not very great as well, just cus it's a small shop. I'd still say your best friend for board n binding is Craigslist.
Posted via RS Mobile

heisenberg 02-04-2013 08:08 PM

has anyone had any good experiences with vangruver's suggestions?

skiiipi 02-06-2013 07:19 PM

SportMart close down
Entire store min 40% off
If ur lucky, some stores carry K2 Raygun and such.

If not, sportchek has all last season's stuff for 30% off...stack a 20% team assist coupon on top of that, and u can't go wrong.

Sportchek has way more selection...u can get a 2012 Ride Machete...for 30% off and then 20% off ...that's a pretty good deal..
Posted via RS Mobile

racerman88 02-09-2013 02:09 PM

If you are starting out, just get a basic board and bindings that you don't mind if it gets scratched and banged up.
After you get snowboarding down and you enjoy it, you can upgrade your stuff later.

westopher 02-09-2013 04:35 PM

Sportsjunkies are a bunch of cocksuckers, I say that because they offered me 20 dollars for a board, boots, bindings, 3 jackets and pants. I ended up selling all of them individually on CL for about 300 bucks and that was still giving people prices that would be less than what was found in their store. If you have a buddy who rides a lot and knows about what is a decent price for gear, craigslist and kijiji are the best places for good cheap gear. I'm sure a few guys on here will chime in with cheap gear to sell soon too since all the stores are getting their end of season sales on, so thats when a lot of us buy new stuff.

AzNightmare 02-09-2013 05:21 PM

Boardroom Clearance store might have some stuff that's cheap.
West Coast Sports is not bad. They have a clearance section upstairs, although they aren't going to be your big name brand stuff, but it's not bad for starting out. (I just started out and that's where I got my stuff).

If you don't mind used though, CL is probably your best bet.
The prices you'll find for buying used gear is going to be way cheaper than any brand new stuff you get from stores. As long as you're patient and not too picky in the exact brand/model you want, CL is great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8155937)
Sportsjunkies are a bunch of cocksuckers, I say that because they offered me 20 dollars for a board, boots, bindings, 3 jackets and pants. I ended up selling all of them individually on CL for about 300 bucks and that was still giving people prices that would be less than what was found in their store. If you have a buddy who rides a lot and knows about what is a decent price for gear, craigslist and kijiji are the best places for good cheap gear. I'm sure a few guys on here will chime in with cheap gear to sell soon too since all the stores are getting their end of season sales on, so thats when a lot of us buy new stuff.

I don't like Sportsjunkie because I was trying to sell my goalie pads one time.
I called them in ahead of time just to get a general price range I could get them for, and the guy said at least $160ish if they aren't trashed, but it really depends on the condition.

My goalie pads were about 1 season old, and I bring them in, and I get offered $60. I countered for $150 and the guy basically said there's no way in hell he would give me that much for used goalie pads. The store buys cheap and sells cheap. I was pretty much like... ORLY??? :suspicious: Then why is the cheapest goalie pads they sell, which are in shit condition, costing $300? In fact, all their goalie pads they sold were at least $300+.

So in other words, you're paying a heavy price tag for garbage if you buy from sportsjunkie.

(And I sold my pads on CL a week later for $200 :fullofwin:).

heisenberg 02-09-2013 06:56 PM

haha you sold your "pads"" on cl for $200 haha, sorry for the immaturity. yeah ive been looking on craigslist for the past few days. found an awesome board + binding for $160. still looking for boots though :/

westopher 02-09-2013 07:17 PM

what size are your feet? I have some sz9.5 32 Lashed I'm looking to get rid of cheap.

AzNightmare 02-09-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heisenberg (Post 8156030)
haha you sold your "pads"" on cl for $200 haha, sorry for the immaturity. yeah ive been looking on craigslist for the past few days. found an awesome board + binding for $160. still looking for boots though :/

lol, you know, I purposely did put the word, "goalie" before every "pads" in my post on purpose just to avoid someone making your comment.

But I guess I still slipped up on the very last one. :okay: