REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Murder convictions overturned on man who shot fleeing home intruders in the back

Quote:
A Nunavut man who fired a semi-automatic rifle at five people breaking into his home, killing three and wounding two, has had his murder convictions overturned.

In a strong defence of self-defence, a panel of appeal court judges declared a self-defence claim can be made even when three of the dead were shot in the back — one while wounded on the ground — and two who survived were shot while running away.

A feud between young men culminated in a confrontation at the small house of Chris Bishop, 27. At 3 a.m. Mr. Bishop called the RCMP saying men were trying to break in.

Long before help arrived, his front door started to give way to the kicking, and he retreated to his bedroom. He readied a gun.

He held what is called an SKS-D, which he legally owned. The semi-automatic rifle is supposed to hold only five bullets but Mr. Bishop fitted it with a 25-bullet “banana clip,” an illegal add-on that gives it a similar appearance to an AK-47.

An eyewitness said Mr. Bishop spotted a wounded invader falling in the snow and struggling to get up. Mr. Bishop raised his gun and fired at him, killing him. He fired at others scattering away, emptying his clip.

At his 2010 trial, a jury heard from a female witness that, at a party a week before the shootings, Mr. Bishop boasted he had shot people before. She also said he had been in a fistfight with a man, who would later be one of the men shot, and said the man was “going to pay.”

Because the shootings continued against retreating attackers and all of the victims had some shots to their backs suggests Mr. Bishop went too far, he wrote.

“In my view, it was open to the jury, on that evidence alone, to find that the appellant could not have reasonably believed the force he used was his only means of protecting himself.”

The majority decision, however, overturned the convictions and granted Mr. Bishop a new trial. He remains in Kingston Penitentiary, where he was serving his sentence.

Chris Bishop has murder convictions overturned after shooting intruders | Canada | News | National Post
Advertisement
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
I STILL don't get it

good riddance. only scumbags break into peoples' homes. I'm glad they died. Even if it was at the hands of potentially, another scumbag
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
i highly doubt he'll be found not guilty in his new trial

but the reason he was granted a new trial was because evidence that the intruders had a history of crime was kept from the Jury
however one of the judges didn't agree and felt that knowledge wasn't necessary in determining the murderers actions

it's an interesting case

Last edited by StylinRed; 02-02-2013 at 12:33 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
Banned By Establishment

I could shoot someone in self-defense, but I don't think I could shoot someone in the back, while they're running away.
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,489 Times in 4,301 Posts
^
You're getting soft, Jason.
(That's what she said.)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
^
You're getting soft, Jason.
(That's what she said.)
If I were drunk, well, yeah I would empty the clip for sure haha
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #7
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

^
are u talking about your penis or your gun?
Ron_Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Well Jason, your mentality is in accordance with the law. The LAW values human life above all. If someone is walking away with your possessions, the law does not allow you to defend those possessions with deadly force. You may use reasonable force to get your belongings back but not deadly force. After all, it's material objects vs. human life regardless of how you feel about scumbag thieves. It's how the law works...

Unless deadly force was being used against him, or he reasonably believed deadly force was going to be used against him, the law most probably, not see his killings as justifiable.

DISCLAIMER: I have not read this case/story, I am making a general comment with regards to how the law would interpret/should interpret a situation.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Stand your ground.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 View Post
I could shoot someone in self-defense, but I don't think I could shoot someone in the back, while they're running away.

Quote:
At 3 a.m. Mr. Bishop called the RCMP saying men were trying to break in. Long before help arrived, his front door started to give way to the kicking, and he retreated to his bedroom. He readied a gun.
His property was crossed.
His door was locked. They broke through Def #1
He called the cops. They were faster than Def #2
He went to get his gun. I'd say that's Def #3

Quote:
The first man through the bedroom door carried a samurai sword. Another had a broken golf club.
The men were armed.
Have already shown a disregard for personal rights, and the rule of law by breaking an entering. These are now criminals.
Armed criminals are in my home.
You do not come armed unless you intend to harm.

I'm a strong believer in castle law.

Let's say I shot and killed your buddy in the hallway of my home.
Another on the lawn as you are retreating.

Do you expect me, to allow known criminals to get away?

What do you think happens if I allow you to walk?
You've already broken into my house once armed with weapons.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

^ I concur.
Zudi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
So he gets a new trial. Nobody has said he's not guilty or that he's allowed to shoot fleeing suspects. They said not all evidence was presented so he gets another crack.

I'd bet cold, hard cash he'll be found guilty.

If he shot/killed people inside his house I'd say he acted appropriately. Shooting people running away (in the back) is not. From the article:

Quote:
An eyewitness said Mr. Bishop spotted a wounded invader falling in the snow and struggling to get up. Mr. Bishop raised his gun and fired at him, killing him. He fired at others scattering away, emptying his clip.
That seems like calculated murder to me. Finishing off a wounded person.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #13
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
So he gets a new trial. Nobody has said he's not guilty or that he's allowed to shoot fleeing suspects. They said not all evidence was presented so he gets another crack.

I'd bet cold, hard cash he'll be found guilty.

If he shot/killed people inside his house I'd say he acted appropriately. Shooting people running away (in the back) is not. From the article:

That seems like calculated murder to me. Finishing off a wounded person.
All fine and dandy, but if a gang of five are breaking into my house with the clear intent to maim or kill me, there is no way I'm letting them run, so that they can grab some guns, or more friends, or explosives, or whatever to finish the job. They chose to break into the dude's house. It was clearly a bad choice. Tough luck.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Well Jason, your mentality is in accordance with the law. The LAW values human life above all. If someone is walking away with your possessions, the law does not allow you to defend those possessions with deadly force. You may use reasonable force to get your belongings back but not deadly force. After all, it's material objects vs. human life regardless of how you feel about scumbag thieves. It's how the law works...

Unless deadly force was being used against him, or he reasonably believed deadly force was going to be used against him, the law most probably, not see his killings as justifiable.

DISCLAIMER: I have not read this case/story, I am making a general comment with regards to how the law would interpret/should interpret a situation.
+1 to this. If they were in his house and he shot them then it could have been a different story, but since they are running away there was no immediate danger/harm to himself

I wonder what would happen if this was in the states hhhhmmm
Old 02-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #15

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
His property was crossed.

I'm a strong believer in castle law.

Let's say I shot and killed your buddy in the hallway of my home.
Another on the lawn as you are retreating.

Do you expect me, to allow known criminals to get away?

What do you think happens if I allow you to walk?
You've already broken into my house once armed with weapons.
I don't think you understand the Castle Doctrine completely, a doctrine which you are a "strong believer in."

In your self-created scenario, the intruder that you did not want to get away was walking away. You aren't just open to shooting someone that walks into your house with the castle doctrine, it's NOT how it works. You still need to have a reasonable belief that the intruder is about to use deadly force on you or cause serious bodily harm. How can the intruder be doing that if he's walking away...

The Castle Doctrine is significant not because of your ability to just shoot criminals that enter your house. That is not a "perk" if you will of the doctrine, you simply cannot use deadly force against someone who has no intention of doing so to you. The significance of the doctrine is that you are not obligated to RETREAT. In jurisdictions that do not use the castle doctrine, a home-owner would have the obligation of retreating, if he could do so safely, rather than confronting the intruder.

Last edited by parm104; 02-02-2013 at 11:56 PM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #16
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
I hope these fucktards parents get hung too. Only dumb parents raise cunts. Not enough accountability.

If my dog bites another person, I'd be in deep shit, featured on the news and a whole segment about how my "dog's breed" is dangerous. It's how you train/raise any person.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #17
RS controls my life!

He'll be found guilty in a new trial. I would put my money on manslaughter. He went over and beyond what is considered for a defense of self-defense, which is the absolute minimum amount of force required. Shooting someone in the back as they are fleeing, is in no way, the minimum. Plus, with the way that the SCC is making decisions as of late, he's fucked.
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Society wins! Four criminals just got taken off our streets (3 permanently and one potentially for a very long time)

Oh wait, taxpayers lose

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #19

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts

Last edited by vitaminG; 05-16-2013 at 05:53 PM.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #20
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
The second the criminal scum turns around and walks away, you are not longer able to touch him. That is unless the police find evidence that he was retreating to obtain more weaponry to use against you.

I believe that I should be able to shoot a home intruder dead if he does not comply to any warnings I give him, from there on it's assumed that he means to harm me. But, I'm not going to shoot somebody in the back if they are clearly running away from me, that's as good as being the criminal.

Guns can be there to save your life, but they are not badges, catching or killing a home intruder that is running is up to the police.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #21
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Interesting, thanks for sharing the article. As I understand it, to use self-defense in this case (when you yourself caused death or grievous bodily harm) you need to have a reasonable apprehension of death or grievous bodily harm AND there are no other reasonable grounds to prevent that death or grievous bodily harm.

The problem for this guy would be the second requirement. The trial judge didn't let the jury hear important contextual evidence that might have supported the guy's claim that there were no other reasonable grounds to prevent death.

Self-defense can work even if you shoot a person in the back of the head as they are leaving or kill someone sleeping in a truck although both these situations involved battered-wives.

I wonder how this will play out..

Last edited by Energy; 02-02-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #22
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,128 Times in 7,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
I hope these fucktards parents get hung too. Only dumb parents raise cunts. Not enough accountability.
That is one of the most retarded things I have read on RS. Lots of fucking idiots have come from very decent homes, and lots of great people have come from shit homes. You want to talk about accountability, then you blame shit on someone that had no part in the decision making process of these assholes.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #23
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post

Are you a lawyer? Or are you a law student? Just curious.
Ronith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #24
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
I think if I were the guy, I'd try to bargain a bit with prosecutors.

He did gone a bit too far on shooting on the back. But I think it's reasonable to argue that a person, under the stress of being broken into and possibly killed, his adrenaline kicked in and he couldn't suppress it in an adequate manner.

Nevertheless, it's very likely for people in similar situation to do similar things. If they can find an expert in victim psychology and consult about the possibility on this, or anything similar to explain his reactions, they might have a case.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #25
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

why isn't anybody talking about the prohibited 25 round magazine.
Possession of that itself is 2 years in jail and a life long weapons ban

If he were using a legal magazine pinned at 5 rounds there would be a lot less carnage. Sure, he could've had multiple magazines, but the reloading of new magazines would show more guilty intent. If he had let 5 rounds off as they were coming into his house, more than likely they would've all ran off and he wouldn't needed to have killed them. But in small towns like that, its a matter of time before this situation went full circle.
This guy is going to jail ...i guess you can say he was "idle no more"

Last edited by ynot-llat; 02-02-2013 at 11:22 PM.
ynot-llat is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: