REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
I don't get it either

My friend got sued for rear ending someone

A friend of mine asked me to get some advice for him for what he can do.

He rear ended someone in Oct 2009. He had only been in Canada for 3 years then and his English was not very good. The ICBC representative who called my friend had a deep accent that he could not understand. He heard something along the line of "are you willing to pay for all the vehicle damages and health claims for the other party", and he said "No".

The rear end was very minor and he thought he thought he was getting scammed for the other person claiming health or something. He just wanted to get ICBC to pay for the repair of the bumper, but maybe there was some miscommunication in that ICBC just paid the other guy nothing.

Then he forgot about the incident and in Feb 2012 he got a letter telling him he has a court date on April 2013 at the Supreme Court. He has now moved back to China and he contacted me yesterday asking what he should do. He hope to settle this out of court and just get this over with as cheap as possible.

Any advice or similar experiences?
Advertisement
Boostaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,359 Times in 382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostaholic View Post
He has now moved back to China

"sue me now bitch"
ShanghaiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Pretty much what ShanghaiKid said.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
I'm not sure what the likelihood is of ICBC pulling your friend back from China just to be in court... My guess is zero haha
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
good read.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Does your friend want to come back to Canada
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
your friend is probably like

Spoiler!

Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
I don't get it either

My friend is giving up his permanent residence status because he's got a good job now in Shanghai making more than what he was making in Vancouver. But he said he would rather deal with it the right way.

What would be the implications if he just ignore it? Will he be arrested if he come to Canada again?

What would be the right way to deal with this?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
He has now moved back to China and he contacted me yesterday asking what he should do. He hope to settle this out of court and just get this over with as cheap as possible.

So your friend hit someone with his car and fled to China. Someone is here with a damaged car and possible medical problems as a result of an accident he was involved in.

It sounds like he knew what he was doing and now hes gotten away with it, as cheaply as possible.

I'm sick of people treating Canada like a playground where there are no consequences.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Ewwww...dirty Chinks.
Posted via RS Mobile

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

Last edited by Graeme S; 02-02-2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: added note
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
A friend of mine asked me to get some advice for him for what he can do.

He rear ended someone in Oct 2009. He had only been in Canada for 3 years then and his English was not very good. The ICBC representative who called my friend had a deep accent that he could not understand. He heard something along the line of "are you willing to pay for all the vehicle damages and health claims for the other party", and he said "No".

The rear end was very minor and he thought he thought he was getting scammed for the other person claiming health or something. He just wanted to get ICBC to pay for the repair of the bumper, but maybe there was some miscommunication in that ICBC just paid the other guy nothing.

Then he forgot about the incident and in Feb 2012 he got a letter telling him he has a court date on April 2013 at the Supreme Court. He has now moved back to China and he contacted me yesterday asking what he should do. He hope to settle this out of court and just get this over with as cheap as possible.

Any advice or similar experiences?
Quote:
My friend is giving up his permanent residence status because he's got a good job now in Shanghai making more than what he was making in Vancouver. But he said he would rather deal with it the right way.

What would be the implications if he just ignore it? Will he be arrested if he come to Canada again?

What would be the right way to deal with this?
If your friend had valid insurance while driving here in Canada then ICBC will appoint a lawyer on his behalf to represent him. He should not have to pay any injury claims/damages out of his pocket if his insurance policy covers him.

The other party is sueing him but ICBC will represent him in court and he may or may not have to give a statement to the lawyer, and/or cooperate with the lawyer. He might have to go to court but usually ICBC will settle out of court with the client/injured party/etc. and he will not have to go to court. There is the small possibility he may have to attend court and give a statement. He should receive a letter in the mail from ICBC in regards to this situation with a phone number on it for the lawyer.

We at Ruthless & Associates Inc. would recommend he call ICBC and let them know of the situation. I would speak to the adjuster who was handling his case and let them know what happened. Regardless, the adjuster/ICBC should/will receive the same court order. They should be in contact shortly, but it would be in his best interests to get a hold of them as soon as possible.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask our team at Ruthless & Associates Inc.

Yours Truly
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Ewwww...dirty Chinks.
Posted via RS Mobile
necessary?

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Indeed not. Which is why he was banned.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
A several of my friends who got into car accidents 10 yrs ago and had no choice but fled back to Hong Kong and Vietnam. If your friend is in China, it's even more difficult for ICBC to bring his ass back unless he is willing to do so. I would suggest your friend to hire a legal rep in Canada to attend the court and keep his ass clean in China.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #15
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Indeed not. Which is why he was banned.
Hope he's gone for good

Anyways, back on topic:
@OP, how long ago did your friend moved back to China?
Has ICBC (or other parties) tried to contract your friend anytime from the first mail in February 2012, till now?
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
LOL dukes banned
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #17
The Lone Wanderator

Seems to me that what's happened is the guy he rear-ended is now suing for extended medical support or what have you. You have two years to file claim, and when you do you have to sue ICBC and the driver who hit you. Generally speaking, unless you hire a private lawyer (expensive) it ends up in the very odd situation of:
ICBC & the guy what got hit
vs
ICBC & the guy what did the hitting.

As long as his insurance was valid and would cover all the damage and medical whatnots, your friend is fine. This is basically him being summoned to attend court to testify on behalf of ICBC against ICBC.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

april date in Supreme Court....???
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #19
The Lone Wanderator

October 2009 incident, 2 years to sue, file in October 2011, +18 months to get a court date....

Sounds about right.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #20
I don't get it either

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
If your friend had valid insurance while driving here in Canada then ICBC will appoint a lawyer on his behalf to represent him. He should not have to pay any injury claims/damages out of his pocket if his insurance policy covers him.

The other party is sueing him but ICBC will represent him in court and he may or may not have to give a statement to the lawyer, and/or cooperate with the lawyer. He might have to go to court but usually ICBC will settle out of court with the client/injured party/etc. and he will not have to go to court. There is the small possibility he may have to attend court and give a statement. He should receive a letter in the mail from ICBC in regards to this situation with a phone number on it for the lawyer.

We at Ruthless & Associates Inc. would recommend he call ICBC and let them know of the situation. I would speak to the adjuster who was handling his case and let them know what happened. Regardless, the adjuster/ICBC should/will receive the same court order. They should be in contact shortly, but it would be in his best interests to get a hold of them as soon as possible.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask our team at Ruthless & Associates Inc.

Yours Truly
Thanks. The letter he got asked him to go to court to provide evidence. I will contact the the lawyer assigned to him on Monday to get more details.

He did have valid insurance at the time of accident, so does it mean even if he loose the court battle or ICBC settles with the plaintiff outside court, ICBC will pay for it because he was insured?

Since he will no longer live in Canada, ICBC insurance premium won't really matter to him anymore.

He did not "fled" to China because of the incident. He is willing to fly back to attend the court date to deal with this the right way. He just want to minimize the damage and do it the right way and that's why he asked me to help him.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #21
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
april date in Supreme Court....???
I didn't know these claims go straight to the supreme court
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:54 AM   #22
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_city23 View Post
I didn't know these claims go straight to the supreme court
I think you are confused between Supreme Court of BC and Supreme Court of Canada, the latter being the one that you would need to appeal multiple times to have your case heard.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #23
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Unless your friend does not plan to come back to Canada, he doesnt have to worry...
If he plans to get his citizenship, then tell him to pay it up and not get on the bad side of the government.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #24
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post

Yours Truly
+1 all this.

Sounds like this other driver may be scamming, if they waited until the last second to file - probably hoping your friend would have forgotten any details that would help in his defense, and would be more willing to pay just to end it.

Could also be that ICBC isn't giving them as much as they want, so as Graeme S says, they're suing both your friend and ICBC.

Worst case scenario, the guy wins his case, and your buddy flips him the bird from the other side of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #25
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Thanks. The letter he got asked him to go to court to provide evidence. I will contact the the lawyer assigned to him on Monday to get more details.
He shouldn't be able to talk to you about it, unless you are named as your friend's representative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
+1 all this.

Sounds like this other driver may be scamming, if they waited until the last second to file - probably hoping your friend would have forgotten any details that would help in his defense, and would be more willing to pay just to end it.

Could also be that ICBC isn't giving them as much as they want, so as Graeme S says, they're suing both your friend and ICBC.
That's not really how it works. A large percentage of claims aren't filed until close to or at the two year limitation period. The reason for that is because it costs money to file and run a claim. If it can be settled before then, perfect. You can save the expense of having to file.
Majestic12 is offline   Reply With Quote