REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Handicap parking painted around parked car (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680140-handicap-parking-painted-around-parked-car.html)

Presto 02-06-2013 11:18 AM

Handicap parking painted around parked car

Quote:

Tel Aviv student Hila Ben-Baruch parked her car near her apartment on Sunday, safe in the knowledge that she had parked legally. Later that evening, though, she returned to find her car was gone and in its place was a freshly painted handicapped parking space.

“I have parked on that street for nearly half a year, [I live there] and know well where I can and can’t park,” she wrote in Hebrew on her Facebook page.

Ben-Baruch called the municipality to find out how her car could have been towed from what had been a legal space with no advance notice. Instead of explanations she got accusations. The city representative on the other end of the line said she was lying and accused her of knowingly parking in a handicap spot. Ben-Baruch said it was only after 10 minutes of yelling that the civil servant began to believe her story.

Ben-Baruch was told that she’d have to go online to the city’s website and fill out some forms, as well as paying a 350 shekel towing fee (almost $95). Calling the parking lot to which her car had been towed she learned she also had a 1,000 shekel ($270) parking ticket for illegally parking in a handicapped spot.

On Monday Ben-Baruch went to the building across from where she’d parked and established there were security cameras pointed to the newly painted handicapped spot. A security official agreed to show her the footage, which confirmed her narrative. She didn’t know whether she should “cry or scream,” she wrote later.

It was all recorded, clear as day: “While the car was parked in a white-and-blue [legal] zone, two city hall workers arrived and began painting a handicapped space around the car!” They changed the color designation of the parking space, she wrote, and within five minutes had changed it to a parking space to handicapped.

Ben-Baruch promptly posted the video on her Facebook page and as of Tuesday evening her story had garnered nearly 19,000 shares and received attention on national television news.

Deputy Tel Aviv mayor Asaf Zamir apologized for the incident Tuesday and explained that it was all a mistake. Zamir said it was perfectly fine for city workers to re-designate a parking spot — even when someone was parked there — and that such things happen all the time, but that the workers were supposed to notify the parking inspectors’ office and tell them that a vehicle had been parked there legally, not to tow it and fine the owner.

The city released Ben-Baruch’s car, waiving all fines and fees.

Tel Aviv Mayor Ron Huldai also posted an apology on her Facebook page.

She said Tuesday she was considering suing the city, nonetheless.
source" Parking debacle turns viral sensation | The Times of Israel

That tow truck is pretty sweet!

GLOW 02-06-2013 11:20 AM

city workers :fuckthatshit:

lilaznviper 02-06-2013 12:02 PM

awesome tow truck

Graeme S 02-06-2013 02:01 PM

That is one seriously fucking sweet tow truck.

snails 02-06-2013 02:08 PM

wtf... what if the tow truck fucked something up.. ei. my exhaust is the lowest point of my car.. and its tucked as high as it will go, that tow truck would crush my exhaust... could you sue?

Jsunu 02-06-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 8153151)
That is one seriously fucking sweet tow truck.

Seriously fuck this story, i wanna know more about this dope ass tow truck. It can tow ANYTHING.

kkttsang 02-06-2013 02:26 PM

if that tow truck was in gone in 60 secs, memphis raines and his crew could easily collected all the cars and save kip in 2 hours.

JesseBlue 02-06-2013 03:42 PM

that tow truck was also the part that caught my attention...

blkgsr 02-06-2013 03:46 PM

i want to know what the support points for the tow truck are....just anywhere underneath the car?

Aetios 02-06-2013 04:07 PM

Shouldn't the city workers be reprimanded for failing to notify the parking inspector offices?

fliptuner 02-06-2013 05:06 PM

I hope that truck uses 2 pairs of forks under the f/r wheels. It's the only way I can see that system working w/o damaging anything under the car.

fliptuner 02-06-2013 05:08 PM

Edit.

Yeah just as I hoped - two sets of forks. Can't say I like the first stage, where they drag the right wheels to get the car closer.

Teh Doucher 02-06-2013 05:30 PM

Happened in Israel? Who cares.. They have much worse shit to worry about.
Posted via RS Mobile

Vansterdam 02-06-2013 05:48 PM

lol wow she got trolled hard

- kT 02-06-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICE BOY (Post 8153300)
Edit.

Yeah just as I hoped - two sets of forks. Can't say I like the first stage, where they drag the right wheels to get the car closer.

seems like both wheels are off the ground at that stage (at least in the first video?), driver pulls the car closer, puts it back down on the ground, readjusts forks, and finishes

Nintensity 02-06-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by - kT (Post 8153358)
seems like both wheels are off the ground at that stage (at least in the first video?), driver pulls the car closer, puts it back down on the ground, readjusts forks, and finishes

Not sure if that's a good technique, since tires on the far side of the car is still in contact with the pavement when the driver pulls the car closer to the tow truck. Wouldn't that ruin the camber arms of the vehicle?

GabAlmighty 02-06-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nintensity (Post 8153404)
Not sure if that's a good technique, since tires on the far side of the car is still in contact with the pavement when the driver pulls the car closer to the tow truck. Wouldn't that ruin the camber arms of the vehicle?

Lolwut?

Nintensity 02-06-2013 07:38 PM

whoops... control arms lol. rough day.

^^ again, not sure, since the car's tires are still in contact with the pavement, and that by pulling the vehicle horizontally, could potentially add stress to the control arms

AzNightmare 02-06-2013 11:44 PM

lol.... I know this is a car forum and all...
but you guys really think the tow truck drivers or the city give a rats ass about
nicely handling your nice car that's (supposely) parked illegally?

:fuckthatshit:

Gh0stRider 02-06-2013 11:49 PM

lol

this thread is now about tow trucks

604STIG 02-07-2013 08:42 AM

Rename city to Troll-Aviv.

snails 02-07-2013 08:48 AM

problem? :troll:

http://www.canibeat.com/wp-content/u...agen_MK5_5.jpg