REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #51
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post

what happens if you cut services? unhappy transit users, less transit use by the population, increased traffic congestion.... oh, and increased costs for transit use because less people will use it, which could also mean another tax, or worse yet, further service cuts to save money, which then leads to even less transit use, and therefore more service cuts and more service cuts.... until we have no more transit system. oh right, and less users/services mean less money to maintain roads.
I think many here would rather see cut services if it meant no new taxes. After all, who cares about the people who depend on public transit? It's all me, me, me and my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post
everything comes down to money. and as a growing city with a significantly smaller population than most other cities, the taxpayers here are always going to be at more of a disadvantage. but guess what? you CHOOSE to live here and you can choose to live elsewhere if you do not want to participate, it sucks, but it's the truth. if you want to live here, then you must participate.
Funny, everything was fine until Expo 86... Biggest mistake this city has ever made.
Advertisement
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #52
I don't get it

TransLink wants $23 billion to expand transit system

TransLink wants $23 billion to expand transit system

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – It’s a plan some are already calling unrealistic, while others argue it is much needed.

TransLink wants to spend as much as $23 billion over the next three decades to improve and expand the transit system.

The transportation authority is appearing in front of the Mayor’s Council debating the dollar figure.

Burnaby Mayor Derek Corrigan is not in favour of the request. “The idea that the property taxpayer is a bottomless pit of money is over. The reality is that we’re seeing, in every one of our communities, blow back from the public.”

Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson is arguing it’s going to take billions of dollars to help people move around and it’s silly to think transit investments aren’t needed.

Snoop Dogg - Starksy & Hutch
Sushi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #53
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

It have money troubles even now with the existing transit with its normal operational finances. Expanding the system will guarantee a deeper money pit. Need to fix the current problem and gain public confidence before they should move ahead with this project.
Posted via RS Mobile
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #54
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Funny for Corrigan to speak.. consider he already has 2 Skytrain lines going through his city. Hypocrite much?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #55
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
translink needs to shut the fuck up already
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #56
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,565 Times in 4,288 Posts
Gregor Robertson needs to shut the fuck up already....
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #57
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
They need to fire/terminate/toss out all top Executives.. and get fresh blood into Translink.

They only have 1 idea: We need money.
They only have 1 solution: Lets either make a new tax, or raise existing taxes.

I posted my comment on News1130.
They need to expand the Expo Line out into Langley and deeper into Surrey. Get more people access to rapid transit, at a fairer price. And people will eventually come.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #58
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!

Thanked 1,770 Times in 445 Posts
[23-07, 02:53] LSF22 the guy who i just saw had like 5 or 6 cars on his lawn needs a ride

[07-10, 15:42] nabs tbails14 = the legend continues

[27-10, 19:44] slickrick (to ts14) NO NOT THE EXHAUST

[07-10, 22:42] Ri2 If I had a real one I'd fap til it turns blue probably

[05-01, 16:24] Geoc ts you're a never ending inspiration for the inner buddy guy in all of us
ts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #59
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
So you don't want new / higher taxes, yet you want one of the most expensive mass transit system available to expand to the bog lands in Surrey... and Langley? Along the way where population density is low?

Fairer fees how? $20 for each trip when users use the new line and reduce it over the years? You don't want the gov to raise taxes, yet how do you expect us to come out with the money to build?

Sounds like a Canadian version of Tea Party activists.. No taxes, but no one touch my Medicare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
They need to fire/terminate/toss out all top Executives.. and get fresh blood into Translink.

They need to expand the Expo Line out into Langley and deeper into Surrey. Get more people access to rapid transit, at a fairer price. And people will eventually come.

Last edited by godwin; 06-19-2013 at 11:38 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #60
JSS
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Funny for Corrigan to speak.. consider he already has 2 Skytrain lines going through his city. Hypocrite much?
I agree, im a burnaby guy through and through but find it funny Corrigan would say that.

Its alot easier to be against it when both sides of your city has a skytrain running through it.

I agree with alot of you that a train needs to run out to the fraser valley.

I always find it funny how the gvrd wants to be a premeir north american city, yet hesitates to have rapid transit going out to the suburbs and makes mediocre imporovements to a complete cluster f*ck of a freeway system.

Yeah, lets not provide ways for people who cant afford 1 million dollar shit shacks a cost and time effective way to get to work. But lets continue to rape them with taxes on fuel and what not, sounds fair and logical.

Im fine with more taxes as long as i see the money is being put to good use and not going into the pockets of execs that continually complain about not having enough money.
Posted via RS Mobile
JSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #61
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Less than a billion dollars a year for a systemic overhaul that'll make everything way better.

It could be worse.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
So you don't want new / higher taxes, yet you want one of the most expensive mass transit system available to expand to the bog lands in Surrey... and Langley? Along the way where population density is low?

Fairer fees how? $20 for each trip when users use the new line and reduce it over the years? You don't want the gov to raise taxes, yet how do you expect us to come out with the money to build?

Sounds like a Canadian version of Tea Party activists.. No taxes, but no one touch my Medicare!
Where I'd say that? Please bold it in my post that I'm not willing to pay for it..

Fail comprehension to reading.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #63
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,060 Times in 1,248 Posts
privatize that bitch

/thread

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #64
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,187 Times in 2,466 Posts
Quote:

^^ This

Also, is Translink still wasting big $$$ on OT pay like they used to? A number of years ago, a bus-driving acquaintance of mine told me that it is relatively easy for a lot of bus drivers to rack up an insane number of OT hours. Obviously, those hours are paid at 1.5x to 2x.

I say their entire system needs to be overhauled and replaced with something cheaper (esp on labour costs) and more efficient.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #65
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

starting wage for a bus driver is $25 or something....

also translink tax on a parking pass downtown??

25% translink tax and 5% PST?

RIDICULOUS
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
privatize that bitch

/thread
Privatization needs to be done along with the introduction of multiple competitors. Otherwise, it'll only turn into a monopoly that will only make things worse.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #67

Now I'll respond to that.

Translink is always trying to "expand" their system in a highly populated, clusterfuck of a place. They never look ahead of the ball, yet they always try to chase it.

I AM NOT WILLING TO PAY FOR Translink to build a goddamn underground line through Broadway as we have a half-efficient B-Line system in effect, and the construction would be a god-awful nightmare. I wouldn't even propose that they build this line on 12th Ave.

They NEVER had a South option. Why not build an above ground line along 41st, and tie it to the Canada Line? Once they reach the outskirts of UBC, and above ground is not a viable option, go underground.

I am tired of hearing Translink just push their weight around for more money. With really shitty options, lame proposals, and weak "solutions" when they are given a backlash from the public.

I AM WILLING TO SPEND MY TAX MONEY ON Translink pushing transit out to where people are moving to. They don't even look at this as an option. They'd rather improve everything around the DownTown Core, to get traffic in, then bring more transit users in.

BUT I THOUGHT THEY WERE A TRANSIT CORPORATION?!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #68
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post

also translink tax on a parking pass downtown??

25% translink tax and 5% PST?

RIDICULOUS

not just downtown, I know that feel. Everyone including students pay that retarded 25%. How in the fuck is it possible to tax something 25%???
Red-nijzllab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #69
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
Wage Schedule: Conventional Transit Operators
Experience Dollars per hour
Trainee (30 Days training) $20.44
1st 8 months $21.90
2nd 8 months $23.36
3rd 8 months $26.28
Thereafter $29.20

Wage Schedule: Community Transit Operators
Experience Dollars per hour
Trainee (9 Days training) $17.57 per hour
1st 8 months $18.69
2nd 8 months $21.02
Thereafter $23.36

Even at $30/hr, I'd find it hard to enjoy as a long term career.

Get into an accident. You get fired. What happens? You're fucked.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #70
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

They just want more money to pay themselves then make some improvements on trasit system and call it a fucking day.
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #71
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Less than a billion dollars a year for a systemic overhaul that'll make everything way better.

It could be worse.
That's only if it were true. Most likely it'll cost a lot more than they actually say.

Can't we get a proper audit of Translink please?

The Buzzer blog » The provincial audit of TransLink

The auditors discover 41 million of savings but they were only recommendations. It is unknown even to this day if Translink were decided or against those recommendations. And now this.

Again, I don't mind if our tax dollars went to create a system such as a sky train that operates til 3AM everyday or the creation of internal LRT systems within their own municipalities that can connect with the existing infrastructure. But to ask for more money when our population doesn't even rival Toronto's is just down right robbery.

Snoop Dogg - Starksy & Hutch
Sushi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #72
I am grateful grapefruit

I hate articles like that. They just show the bottom dollar figure - but won't explain what it's used for. I wouldn't be as upset if they start talking about projects they need to work on, etc. Are they expanding lines, or are they just wasting money?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #73
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi604 View Post
That's only if it were true. Most likely it'll cost a lot more than they actually say.

Can't we get a proper audit of Translink please?

The Buzzer blog » The provincial audit of TransLink

The auditors discover 41 million of savings but they were only recommendations. It is unknown even to this day if Translink were decided or against those recommendations. And now this.
I think the audit largely recommends cutting services on routes that have less people - or moving routes around to more populated areas. That's just going to piss more people off. While it will save money, it will mean less people will have access to the services.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
I hate articles like that. They just show the bottom dollar figure - but won't explain what it's used for. I wouldn't be as upset if they start talking about projects they need to work on, etc. Are they expanding lines, or are they just wasting money?
Gars,

Given Translink's history, I think it is a relatively safe bet that they are going to at least waste a good amount of that money.

Jokes aside, I think there is a lot of truth in the above statement that I made. The absolute biggest success Translink has pulled off in the last 20 years is probably the Canada Line. But even with the Canada Line, Translink royally screwed up in many regards. The construction phase unnecessarily affected too many people and businesses along the Cambie corridor. The projected capacity was way too low. The design of the stations were an absolute failure that left no room for expansion at all. What kind of engineering project would almost leave out future scalability altogether?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #75
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Where I'd say that? Please bold it in my post that I'm not willing to pay for it..

Fail comprehension to reading.
...um, where you mention wanting to fire everyone at Translink for wanting more money and to do so by instituting new taxes, or raising existing taxes?

Then you mention wanting to expand Skytrain into Langley? Cause that'll be cheap and TOTALLY pay for itself.

Come on.

Quote:

Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: