REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #251
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
wow... so sad
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #252
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Also wanted to mention how this is all of a sudden the police's fault and not the potential killer(s), or a case where someone committed suicide
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #253
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,386 Times in 547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post
An autopsy has not yet been scheduled for the woman but would likely occur Thursday morning, Los Angeles County coroner's spokesman Ed Winter said.

Winter said investigators were still trying to determine how and why Lam got in the water tank and had "no idea" yet how long she may have been inside. The matter is being treated as a death investigation, he said.

Law enforcement officials familiar with the case said although foul play was always a possibility, they are closely examining whether her death might have been accidental.

Autopsy may answer questions on body found in hotel water tank - latimes.com
Looks like they're trying to downplay this as much as possible. Still being treated as just a death investigation? Clearly there was something foul with her death, people don't just die and end up in water tanks.

Seemingly little coverage on the news. Looks like they know they goofed in this one and trying not to draw ire to their operations. I know there are no "ifs" in life, but I don't think this sad ending was the only way this could have turned out.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #254
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Looks like they're trying to downplay this as much as possible. Still being treated as just a death investigation? Clearly there was something foul with her death, people don't just die and end up in water tanks.

Seemingly little coverage on the news. Looks like they know they goofed in this one and trying not to draw ire to their operations. I know there are no "ifs" in life, but I don't think this sad ending was the only way this could have turned out.
When people go missing it is usually for the following

1) they are dead

2) they ran away/just want to be alone for x amount of time

3) they are lost

We know it wasn't 2. It could have been number 3 if she was suffering from mental illness or high on drugs, but the likelihood of her being spotted would have been sooner than later.

If the autopsy report suggests that she has been dead since the first few days that she was missing, you cannot really blame the police. Whether they found her 2 or 3 days after, the outcome would have been the same. However, if they conclude that she has only been dead for a week, that will raise questions. As the LAPD though, put yourself in their shoes. What information were they given by their family? If their family and friends did not know anything about the incident, how can the police? They don't have any leads to work with. Looking for a missing person in their own home town, compared to a "lost tourist" are completely different things. Do you think it would be easier to locate a local missing vancouverite, or a tourist that was reported missing who was from Hong Kong, with no local family or friends?

The whole story sucks, and it is a shitty end, but not everything is preventable.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #255
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
This is truly tragic. I am saddened and have chills thinking that this happened to a young girl from Vancouver, also a bit angry.
Did the LAPD not even THINK to search the original building that she disappeared from?! I would have thought that would be been the FIRST thing they did! I mean it's only 15 floors for crying out loud! Not the MGM GRAND! It would have taken half a day at most to send out a small contingent to search all the rooms and roof/electrical room/extra areas. Probably would have found even more things (drug trafficking, etc while your at it) Now while I'm at it, did they bother to check her email, Facebook messages to see if there was contact made to discover maybe what her motive was to go to LA? I would have thought the LAPDA already did that too like 2 weeks ago but if they didn't even bother to check the fucking hotel i have serious doubt they bothered with this either...
Did they find out what the cause of death was? Drowning, overdose, maybe strangled?
To think this incident still MIGHT have had a different outcome if the police actually put some effort into this case is frustrating!...
Spoiler!
That's wishful thinking. Most of the rooms are probably occupied - and you can't just search those rooms without a warrant. If there was zero evidence, no sign of a struggle, no judge will ever issue a warrant. Nor can they simply email Google and Facebook asking for permission to view their accounts.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #256
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
That's wishful thinking. Most of the rooms are probably occupied - and you can't just search those rooms without a warrant. If there was zero evidence, no sign of a struggle, no judge will ever issue a warrant. Nor can they simply email Google and Facebook asking for permission to view their accounts.
Im sure there are video footage at the hotel front door, which can pretty rule out that she walked away, so she likely to be inside the hotel some where. Knowing this, police could have install security camera on every floor, and so whoever did this will eventually have to come out and move the body out (in a bag or something)
Old 02-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #257
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Her death was probably not preventible, but catching the killer (lets assume, someone did it) already could have been the case.

The elevator is bugged with video camera, so obviously, the killer won't take the elevator, it has to be the stairs, police could have also install camera there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
Since its a hotel, so there will be room service to replace toiletry etc.. can a undercover police(pretending a house keeper as well) go along with the housekeeper? or is it illegal you would still need warrant?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #258
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
too many armchair investigators in this thread...
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #259
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-VTEC View Post
Her death was probably not preventible, but catching the killer (lets assume, someone did it) already could have been the case.

The elevator is bugged with video camera, so obviously, the killer won't take the elevator, it has to be the stairs, police could have also install camera there...
sorry, this isnt TV or Hollywood. please stop posting your ridiculous ideas. WAIT! I know!!! The police can travel back in time with their government issued Delorean with Doc, Einstein, and Mart Mcfly and prevent ALL of this from happening!
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #260
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPoola View Post
In case you were not aware, there was a maniac running around killing LAPD officers last week. I think they had their hands full, don't you?
Yes I am aware of that. I am just saying it FEELS like more could be done. And from the looks of it it seems like Elisa never left the hotel since that bizarre video, got to see the full details on the investigation on why if took them that long before discovering her body from the water tank.
Posted via RS Mobile
cow20xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #261
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 10:20 AM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #262
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,775 Times in 8,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
I agree, even as someone who posted their own speculation. It's getting carried away with some really... out-there theories for no good reason.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #263
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,782 Times in 977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
I agree, even as someone who posted their own speculation. It's getting carried away with some really... out-there theories for no good reason.
I agree.. speculation and discussion is all fine and dandy.. but asking questions like "why didn't the police install security cameras in every hallway and stair case" is just crazy..
Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #264
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 11:09 AM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #265
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post
Yeah the stupidity's really comes out around page 8.

I'm not changing my theory tho, I still truly believe she was high. A lot of people have convinced themselves that its normal behaviour and she was counting her fingers, etc. I've watched that elevator video probably 50 times, its not the hiding or button pushing that worries me, that's all relatively normal. It's the 30 - 40 seconds of her crack dancing in the hallway, its so creppy and unnesessary.

As far as drugs it wasn't: weed, e, coke, mdma, mushrooms, lsd

I'm not trying to destroy her name/reputation I just truly believe she was under the influence of hard drugs. If I'm wrong, then by all means bring on the fail storm.
Posted via RS Mobile
where did you see the crack dancing? I was wondering what she was doing in the hallway, but couldn't see anything
Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #266
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
I gave my own in-depth analysis of the video back on page 4.
I disagree with everyone who tries to convince whatever she was doing was normal behaviour.
Those theories of someone after her, or she's talking to someone outside in the hallway,
I'm not sure. But even if she was, something was already mentally wrong with her at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post
This is so sad.
They found her nude, so this was probably not a suicide.
Did I miss the source?
Where did it say she was found nude?

Cause that's a pretty valuable piece of the puzzle if so.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 02-20-2013 at 11:41 AM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #267
Revscene Legend

Thanked 3,421 Times in 393 Posts
Read this on trip advisor lol

Quote:
When we were leaving, we did not bother to turn the tv off & again put up our "do not disturb" sign. Hours later when we returned, our tv was off. Everything else was in place, I didnt think the cleaning lady was in there. We were a little creeped out but joked around that the place was haunted. I wouldnt doubt it, being that its old & it looked like a place where you would go after your wife kicked you out & commit suicide. It reminded me of the movie The Shining. Everything about the place was creepy..very diverse guests, BUT crackheads & bums surround the area. Even in the lobby. Very, very unprofessional..but anyways!! We were very glad to check out. But upon checking out, I asked the guy working if the hotel was haunted. He had a look on his face as if we were already supposed to know, & said so casually, YES. We started laughing because we thought he was joking around, but I asked why? He says, "Well this hotel has been around since the 1920's & there have been murders & suicides throughout the years.." My mouth dropped!! My friend then asked, "Are there timers on the tvs?" & he said no..but ppl ask ALL the time. So we are scared to be in that place so we hurry out of there..on our long drive home, I start to google the history on this place. Sure enough, it comes up as one of the haunted hotels in la. Its a historical landmark, the 1st hotel in la to have 3 stories. Its also where movie stars used to hang out, & also a place where a few movie stars committed suicide..I still cant believe we stayed in that dorm-like piece of trash but please..if you do not wish to have an experience like this, splurge a little.
dogeatcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #268
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450385/
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #269
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Water tank part reminds me of the movie dark water.
Posted via RS Mobile
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #270
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
^
Actually the elevator scene reminded me of Japanese horror movies like The Grudge.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #271
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
When you drown, your body gets filled with water. So water in the lungs, stomach, etc so that it gets weighed down and will sink.

Whereas when you just get dumped after you die into a body of water, the remaining gas in your body and the lack of water weighing you down will keep it floating.

It has nothing to do with valves being shut off or turned on. A person that drowned will sink regardless.
Actually this is incorrect.
When a body is disposed of in water or drowning, it will sink as a dead weight. What happens next is that the bacteria in the body then goes on a feast and eats the tissue (no more immune system to fight the bacteria). The byproduct of the bacteria is methane, hydrogen sulfide, and a host of other gases. When the pockets of gas are sufficiently large enough, the body, now bloated like a balloon filled with this bacteria produced gas, now ascends to the surface.

Source: i've worked with dead bodies before.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #272
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
^how long does that take to happen? Maybe she was in there this whole time?
Posted via RS Mobile
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #273
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Its so weird how the elevator started working again after she leaves it.....

and the last part before she walked away, it looked like she was using her hand to reason with someone standing outside. She didn't that finger counting gesture like shes telling someone 1. xxxx 2.xxxx
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #274
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
Actually this is incorrect.
When a body is disposed of in water or drowning, it will sink as a dead weight. What happens next is that the bacteria in the body then goes on a feast and eats the tissue (no more immune system to fight the bacteria). The byproduct of the bacteria is methane, hydrogen sulfide, and a host of other gases. When the pockets of gas are sufficiently large enough, the body, now bloated like a balloon filled with this bacteria produced gas, now ascends to the surface.

Source: i've worked with dead bodies before.
That's why smart people cut up the bodies and put'em in a bag, or place their feet in cement blocks.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #275
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Really not trying to make Elisa look bad but anybody that think Elisa's acting normal in that elevator clip must have had a very very sheltered life..... and I agree with what was posted before. It ain't no weed or regular party favors....

also the elevator wasn't working perhaps because she was walking in and out of it triggering the sensor?
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote