REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Missing Vancouver woman sought in Los Angeles (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680177-missing-vancouver-woman-sought-los-angeles.html)

Gh0stRider 02-06-2013 11:56 PM

Missing Vancouver woman sought in Los Angeles

Police in Los Angeles are searching for a missing Vancouver woman who disappeared six days ago while travelling alone around southern California.

Elisa Lam, 21, was last seen by the staff at the Cecil Hotel in downtown Los Angeles on Jan. 31, police said Wednesday at a news conference that was attended by her family.

“There's been no communication at all. That's worried us and worried the family, so we're proceeding with the investigation,” said L.A. police Lt. Walter Teague.

Investigators said Lam normally was in contact with her family every day, but last made contact on Jan. 31.

Her disappearance is suspicious and may involve foul play, they say.

Police were asked whether Lam knew she was staying in a potentially dangerous part of the city.

“I don't believe that she had any idea that might be a location to be worried about,” Teague said.

Lam is a University of British Columbia student and was hoping to graduate in 2016.

Her sister, Sarah Lam, a makeup artist in Vancouver, tweeted a plea for help in hopes that someone will come forward with information.

Police said they've collected some of Lam's belongings and investigators will be looking closely at security video from the hotel.

The LAPD say they are working with the RCMP and Interpol on the investigation.

Missing Vancouver woman sought in Los Angeles - British Columbia - CBC News

CharlesInCharge 02-07-2013 12:52 AM

Gangs often operate in skid row areas... one of the scariest things Ive heard is the growing rate of human trafficking in the states as talked about in this video.
Press TV

Durrann 02-07-2013 01:15 AM

Hope they find her
Posted via RS Mobile

threezero 02-07-2013 02:28 AM

yea hope they find her, that part of the area isn't that safe to be around if you don't know what your doing

FerrariEnzo 02-07-2013 03:18 AM

wow... my Prayers are with her that she will be safe...

she was travelling alone?

StylinRed 02-07-2013 03:18 AM

the hotel she was in looks like a crack shack (google street view)

and the reviews are horrendous

traveling alone and staying in a place like that :heckno: especially when you're a petite girl

Hope she's safe, she may just be high in some crackshack that she unwittingly got addicted to (its common)

geelaw 02-07-2013 08:18 PM

hope shes found and safe soon.

Hondaracer 02-07-2013 08:21 PM

if you're missing for more than 2 days good chance you're probably dead

RiceIntegraRS 02-07-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8154501)

well, hopefully thats not the case

Spidey 02-07-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Not true. there are many reasons why someone can be reported missing. The majority of the time they aren't really "missing", and are not at risk. Most cases are "suspicious" but it depends who you talk to. IMO, family members like the mom and dad are probably the worst people to get info from. They ALWAYS see their children, husband , wife, as the perfect person who does nothing wrong, and would never get themselves in any bad situation. The people that would know someone best is probably their friends. Friends usually see each other at their best and worst. You ask any parent with respect to their child doing something "bad", they will almost always say it is out of the child's character.

Also, family members are the ones who always initiate the missing person. You never do know if the person is "safe" or not. In this case, it could end up bad, there has got to be someone that the girl knows who is aware of the reason why she went to LA alone... in a shady area.

Some things to think about (which the police already have)

- does she even have her phone on her ( could be dead battery, or stolen/lost)

- when is her flight back (did she miss it or not)

- does she have friends there

- why is she in LA

- bank activity

- interview all her friends, locally

Those are just a handful of things that need to be answered before jumping into conclusions.

jofo 02-08-2013 09:56 PM

Her phone was in the hotel, she went alone for no real apparent reason, no friends or family in LA. Hope she turns up soon!

rsx 02-08-2013 10:15 PM

Not to be a dick. But they should also check webpages like Backpage.com maybe she was a call girl and got mixed up with the wrong client.

LiquidTurbo 02-09-2013 06:29 AM

Wtf?
Posted via RS Mobile

Noir 02-09-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Why do you try so hard to act all bad ass, tough guy all the time?

Like seriously, every thread? What are you trying to prove to anons in the internet?

Hondaracer 02-09-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 8155738)
Why do you try so hard to act all bad ass, tough guy all the time?

Like seriously, every thread? What are you trying to prove to anons in the internet?

Cause I'm hard like that bra n'am sayin?

But really, outside of elderly wandering off and being found when do you ever hear of people missing under suspicious/unknown circumstances turning up? It's very rare
Posted via RS Mobile

Spidey 02-09-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8155753)
Cause I'm hard like that bra n'am sayin?

But really, outside of elderly wandering off and being found when do you ever hear of people missing under suspicious/unknown circumstances turning up? It's very rare
Posted via RS Mobile

You think that the only missing people are the ones that end up on the news? It is safe to say that at least 10 people a day are reported "missing". From my experience, the majority of people who are reported "missing" end up being safely located. An elderly wandering off is actually just as high risk as the girl in this story. Imagine an elderly person with dementia wandering the streets of Vancouver. They aren't going to find their way back home themselves.

dave123 02-11-2013 10:54 PM

like this page:
https://www.facebook.com/FindElisaLam

spread the word

dlo 02-11-2013 11:49 PM

Even if there are "low chances" of finding her, I don't see why you ought to be negative in every thread... Keep it to urself
Posted via RS Mobile

The_Situation 02-12-2013 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlo (Post 8157707)
Even if there are "low chances" of finding her, I don't see why you ought to be negative in every thread... Keep it to urself
Posted via RS Mobile

If my uncle touched me when I was a kid I would probably be negative all the time too.

Gnomes 02-12-2013 04:58 AM

Too bad that the LAPD resources is spent on Dorner

AAnthony 02-12-2013 08:08 AM

-----

FerrariEnzo 02-12-2013 10:38 AM

Still no word?

dave123 02-12-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave123 (Post 8157672)
like this page:
https://www.facebook.com/FindElisaLam

spread the word

if you have a twitter account, search for #findelisa or #elisalam and retweet the messages.

it only takes you 2 mins.

MG1 02-12-2013 07:07 PM

Damn, I hope they locate her. Doesn't matter what the circumstances are, that girl could be my daughter, your sister, your best friend, etc.

I don't know what we can do, but hopefully good news is over the horizon. I don't tweet, but if all those who have an account do as dave123 suggested, it's better than nothing. I'll pass this on to my kids and get them involved.

bcrdukes 02-12-2013 09:39 PM

This is very sad news. I know the area very well, having spent a month living in the Arts District a mile away from the Cecil. I can tell you for sure that once it gets dark, you don't want to be caught walking around in that area. You'd be safe even in a place like Pigeon Park.