REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

good snowboard brands?

whats the best snowboards out there? i heard lib tech is the best!
Advertisement
karyoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by karyoka View Post
whats the best snowboards out there? i heard lib tech is the best!
subjective answer

in the late 90's and early 2000's there were numerous companies of ski and snowboard companies that had their gear made by even bigger corporations.

for example. Mervin manufacturing that produces libtech also produces gnu. While there is no hiding that fact, their boards were made at the very same factory, but under different labels

Also, Forum for years were made by elan to which they also had one or two of their decks made in canada. Elan is, a ski company still around today. Then they were purchased by burton and then made in one of two factories, either in Vermont [where burton is headquartered] or in austria, home to an abundance of other factories as well. Burton, up until this year, produced many brands out of their outfits, forum being one of them, along with some sierra designed snowboards, and a few other brands that aren't very popular.

Fast forward to the present day and you'll see a lot of companies cutting costs of their gear by having production sent out to china.

So to answer your question, there is really no "BEST" out there. There is only the latest technology.

There are one or two companies that have technology that is so out of this world, that one might perceive it as being best, but it's really subjective [as mentioned] because of the fact that it won't apply to many average consumers in today's snowboard world.

Burton is one of those corporations that spends a butt load of money into their R&D technology. Much like F1, or MotoGP does with their race tech. What you see is trickled down pro level gear. Which is essentially their testing grounds for next years latest and best.

When considering the "best" consider your usage, and how often you're going to be using it. Because if you're going to be beating the snot out of gear, then you're going to want something that's more robust and durable, which might not be considered to the next person as being the best. It could be heavier, it could be stiffer, it could very well be a lead weight in the end. But it's a board that can take a sh!t kicking and still feel like the day you bought it.

But then again, if you're the type of person that always wants the latest tech, the best graphics and the best in materials, look towards the companies that have the largest line up of boards and has the best warranty possible.

Couple brands that come to mind are, infact Burton, Libtech, Gnu, Ride, Rossignal, K2, and Rome.

The majority of those brands spend a lot of money in development, and also provide a full line up of gear, ranging from boards, boots, bindings, and complete outerwear including first layers.

However, the bottom line is this....when you're shopping for stuff, just pick up a snowboard buyers guide and also look online. Watch reviews on boards/boots/bindings, and see what type of riding you want to ultimatley do. Because if you just go for the best looking and most expensive...there's a chance you might not even like it at all. I've seen that all too often.

Vangruver is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
I STILL don't get it

Yonex. Yonex makes the best snowboards around!
jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Personal preference.
When it comes down to it, you are going to get a board that is suitable for your needs. Comes down to the graphics and cost for the deciding factor
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
Most brands that are sold in legit ski and snowboard shops like, comor, boardroom, pacific boarder, showcase etc, are all going to be good stuff, and its all about what will fit your riding style. Interested in park or just cruising? Riding local mountains or baker trips? Its worth heading into a shop and talking to someone about what you plan on getting into and they will help you out with laying out a few suggestions. Personally, after my experience with my Rome agent rocker and 390 bindings ( of various ages I have had throughout the years) I can never see myself riding a different brand, but its all based on the fact that I just got lucky trying out that board and loved it.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

what about neversummer and bataleon.. both are awesome brands. lately yes snow board and jones snowboard has a lot of hype. and alot of rider i rode with agree to their quality. personally i think burton is just mass manufacturing of mediocre boards. never summer is definitely quality. bataleon is awesome board made in europe.
blue_noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
I liked my Yes, but it was so squirrelly on hard packed snow and big jumps. Their camber design is only really good for deeper snow.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote