REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   I got my first traffic violation ticket....fcuk (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680404-i-got-my-first-traffic-violation-ticket-fcuk.html)

hkRicer 02-12-2013 07:55 PM

I got my first traffic violation ticket....fcuk

First of all, i am a mature driver with 10+ years of driving exp and never receive a driving violation ticket in my life. (Probably just being lucky) I admit I did wrong :okay:

I picked up my car today from Surrey, so I did a little bit of spirit driving on my way back to Richmond. Apparently there was an off duty cop caught me in the act of excessive speeding.... He wrote down my license plate and waited for me to get home at night then gave me a big fat ticket.

-Speed against highway Sign 146 (3)
-Follow too close by 162 (1)
-Change lane without signal 151 (c)

The total comes to about $350

My only concern is, how is this going to effect my insurance discount rate? I asked the cop he said he's not sure if it will be effected. :okay:

bloodline129 02-12-2013 08:02 PM

That's not a fat ticket at all lool.... It won't affect it insurance... Prior license renewal u will have to pay off your points what come with the ticket
Posted via RS Mobile

Spidey 02-12-2013 08:04 PM

You got it good.

ICBC | Fines and penalty points for B.C. traffic offences

ICBC | Driver Penalty Points premium chart

8 pts total... so even if you don't get anymore VT's until your next renewal, you will have to pay ICBC 520 bucks on top of the fines

Spidey 02-12-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodline129 (Post 8158415)
That's not a fat ticket at all lool.... It won't affect it insurance... Prior license renewal u will have to pay off your points what come with the ticket
Posted via RS Mobile

if he has to pay off the points, then wouldn't you say that is DOES affect his insurance

hkRicer 02-12-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 8158418)
You got it good.

ICBC | Fines and penalty points for B.C. traffic offences

ICBC | Driver Penalty Points premium chart

8 pts total... so even if you don't get anymore VT's until your next renewal, you will have to pay ICBC 520 bucks on top of the fines

Sigh, lesson learned. This totally ruin my day lol

firebird79_00 02-12-2013 08:08 PM

dispute it, cop might not show anyway

hkRicer 02-12-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 8158423)
if he has to pay off the points, then wouldn't you say that is DOES affect his insurance

I'm confused, so does it affect my insurance rate?

TheKingdom2000 02-12-2013 08:20 PM

So you're saying that an off duty cop went out of his way to make sure you got a ticket?
And he cited you three violations? Generally, if you were simply speeding you would have only gotten that citation.

The fact that he cited you two more times indicates to me that you aren't as innocent as you want us to believe.

I have been rushed or under the gun as well, but if i'm rushing to my destination I still make sure I signal and leave enough space between me and everyone else. Just because I'm in a rush, doesn't mean I forget the rules of the road. As far as I'm concerned, you deserved the tickets and the fines. This is solely based on the fact an off duty officer felt the need to get off his fat ass to give you a ticket. This tells me you must have been driving irresponsibly.

hkRicer 02-12-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx703 (Post 8158441)
So you're saying that an off duty cop went out of his way to make sure you got a ticket?
And he cited you three violations? Generally, if you were simply speeding you would have only gotten that citation.

The fact that he cited you two more times indicates to me that you aren't as innocent as you want us to believe.

I have been rushed or under the gun as well, but if i'm rushing to my destination I still make sure I signal and leave enough space between me and everyone else. Just because I'm in a rush, doesn't mean I forget the rules of the road. As far as I'm concerned, you deserved the tickets and the fines. This is solely based on the fact an off duty officer felt the need to get off his fat ass to give you a ticket. This tells me you must have been driving irresponsibly.

i never said i was innocent, maybe u should we read my post again. I just want to know if it will affect my insurance premium.

Spidey 02-12-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

he never said he was innocent. A LOT of people fail to signal, even though it only takes a flick of a finger.

After you pay off your points, there are no other fees additional to that.

Soundy 02-12-2013 08:27 PM

It does not affect your insurance premium.

ICBC assesses a penalty based on the points that you have to pay before you can renew your insurance, but it won't affect the amount of your insurance.

Soundy 02-12-2013 08:28 PM

Oops, nevermind

StylinRed 02-12-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

he's not denying that, he just wanted to know how much more of a hit he'll face

MaxinX 02-12-2013 08:31 PM

You'll get points if you pay. So not only will you have to pay the fines from the ticket, ICBC will fine you after 4 points and will continue to do so until 15 points. At that point your license must be surrendered. I'm around 8 points right now, and disputing 2 because the cop was treating me like a criminal. So no your insurance wont be affected, i.e your premiums wont go up. So if you pay off the ticket, you'll also get a fine by ICBC for $520 with your 8 points the day after your birthday. Then you have 2 choices, Pay the fine or surrender your license for 6 months for half the payment, or 1 year for a full payment.

But I agree with Firebird, dispute all and any tickets. There's a chance you'll never have to see a court date, or the officer might not show up, or at least a reduced fine. Worst case scenario that I know of is you lose the case, and have to pay a $30 something fee for the court time.

That being said. This is what I think I know. But I recently talked to ICBC about the points in person. and even if you pay it, It stays with you for 5 years until they remove it from your record to the public.

inv4zn 02-12-2013 08:34 PM

If you were going +40 over the speed limit, I'd count your blessings as your day could have been much more worse...I'd even say you were lucky.

That being said, it does seem like a dick move.

It technically doesn't affect your insurance rate, but you'll have to pay the $520 as showed on the DPP, to ICBC. One-time penalty thing.

asian_XL 02-12-2013 08:38 PM

what are the rights of an off duty officer anyway? I got pulled over by one driving in a Prelude before, he showed his badget and claimed he could issue me a ticket and put anyone in jail bla bla bla, but that one just left with a verbal warning.

quasi 02-12-2013 08:50 PM

It happens, the 68 year old guy I work with got his car impounded and an excessive speeding ticket this summer on hwy 1 coming to work in the morning. Happened on a Friday, was a 7 day impound but they don't release the car on the weekends and the Monday was a stat. He ended up losing his car for 10 days then they charged him extra for the privilege of keeping it those extra days.

TheKingdom2000 02-12-2013 08:57 PM

You are right. You did admit you were at fault.
I guess I just got irritated because I hate drivers who drive reckless or obliviously.

falcon 02-12-2013 09:03 PM

You should at least dispute it to get the chance to have then waive the points. If he doesn't show, plead not guilty. If he does show, plead guilty and request the fine be lowered and points removed. None tones out of ten you'll leave the court house with a minimal fine and no points on your lic.
Posted via RS Mobile

Ludepower 02-12-2013 09:09 PM

I believe you're charged base on your points for the next 3 years.

Eff-1 02-12-2013 09:38 PM

lol you must have been driving like a total wanker to have an off duty officer actually take the time to write down your plate then come personally serve you with a ticket that night and charge you with three separate things.

Eff-1 02-12-2013 09:40 PM

was it the same cop who was off duty and then write you the ticket? if it was two separate officers, i'd dispute since both will have to appear in court for the charges to stick. your chance of escaping is much higher.

ImportPsycho 02-12-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkRicer (Post 8158409)
I picked up my car today from Surrey, so I did a little bit of spirit driving on my way back to Richmond. Apparently there was an off duty cop caught me in the act of excessive speeding.... He wrote down my license plate and waited for me to get home at night then gave me a big fat ticket.

Huh? he wrote down your plate number, found out where you live and went your house, and waited outside?

WTF?

hkRicer 02-12-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eff-1 (Post 8158560)
lol you must have been driving like a total wanker to have an off duty officer actually take the time to write down your plate then come personally serve you with a ticket that night and charge you with three separate things.

It is the same cop cause he said he saw me speeding and changing lane without signaling on hwy 1. He said he was originally planning to give me 6 citations and impounding my car. The first question he asked me is if I could speak English :okay:

hkRicer 02-12-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImportPsycho (Post 8158586)
Huh? he wrote down your plate number, found out where you live and went your house, and waited outside?

WTF?

Yeah that's exactly what happened.