REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Driving with your Learners License question

I'm not 100% sure if this was ever posted, but I'm just curious as to what would happen to you if you got caught by the police driving with a Learners license alone, without breaking any laws? (like a random check)

would you get your license suspended?
car towed?
etc.

thanks
Advertisement
skyline32 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
na dude completely safe
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
Don't think anything is going to happen

Spoiler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:01 AM   #4
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
You should try it and let us know what happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
You get a VT for no DL or driving contrary to restrictions, your car gets towed and probably pay storage till it gets bailed out, you get your L cancelled by MVB, your L period starts again after the suspension and reinstatement costs involved are paid and if you have a crash ICBC insurance will not cover you. I can't see any problem...can you? Are you really that....how can I say this tactfully..... uninformed ?

Last edited by zulutango; 02-14-2013 at 06:47 AM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Depending on what time of the day you do it, you risk up to $327 worth of tickets just for the restriction violations, plus any other moving violation tickets, plus the tow, plus the possible shaming in your parents being called to tell them that their car is in the impound lot waiting for them to pick it up.

Then you get to wait for the letter from the OSMV telling you that they're prohibiting you from driving. Then hopefully you'd be smart enough to not drive while prohibited and get to start your L process all over again from the beginning after paying to have your DL re-instated. At the end of the day, all costs involved will add up to close to $1000 (factoring in any taxis/bus trips needed while prohibited as well).

As zulu said, ICBC wouldn't cover you in any collision and may attribute majority blame on you even if you weren't the cause of the collision, due to the fact that you shouldn't have been on the road at all.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #8

thanks, and another thing, am i allowed to drive past the US/CA border WITH a qualified supervisor?
Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
Yes
Posted via RS Mobile
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
take it from someone who thought was almighty, never-gonna-get-caught kid who drove alone with his L

first time - i got pulled over cus i forgot to turn my headlights on at night, anyways as soon as i got pulled over i wasnt gonna bs and lie, i got caught red handed with my L lol so i told the officer i shouldn't be driving cus i dont have my N, etc etc and she basically only gave me one ticket "driving against restrictions " and told me to call my guardians to come get my car so she doesnt tow it. nice lady

couple months after i get a letter from icbc saying theyre putting me in probation and any further tickets may result in suspension

couple months after that i still thought i was this "almighty, never-gonna-get-caugh-again kid" and guess what i got caught a second time!

didn't bs the officer and told him straight up what i said to the first one. he gave me just one ticket "driving against restriction" and made me call my guardians again so they pick it up.

2 months later i recieved a letter from ICBC telling me to surrender my license and i lost it for 3 months.

in the end was it worth it? $$ wise nope, some can say i dont know how to drive and i was a danger to society or other drivers but ive been driving before that (always practiced out in the country and when i lived back in my country i use to practice as well since i was younger) and i thought i drove like any body else out there.

after 2 tickets + paying to get my license back i never did anything bad again lol and now that i can drive legally i have never gotten any tickets (knock on wood)

so moral of the story ? dont do it

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Dont risk it. Im not even worrying about the police, just on the fact that icbc wont cover you.
Posted via RS Mobile
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

lol that would suck, getting hit by a c-lai or a drunk driver and being totally at fault
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #13

totally agreeable, guess it isnt worth it

btw whats the yearly insurance rate for New Drivers? anyone care to share? and is there a way around to paying the full amount? i heard from a friend that i can use, my father's insurance and have him put my name under his insurance? so that i would have his 43% etc?

thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #14
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline32 View Post

btw whats the yearly insurance rate for New Drivers? anyone care to share? and is there a way around to paying the full amount? i heard from a friend that i can use, my father's insurance and have him put my name under his insurance? so that i would have his 43% etc?

thanks
That may be good and all up until you are involved in an accident. In which case insurance may not cover you driving the car so even if you were not at fault, you would still be on the hook.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #15
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Having it under ur fathers name would mean that the car is primarily drive by HIM, not you. You are allowed a maximum of 4 days of usage per month or something, ICBC will cover you at the extend that you are not the daily driver
Posted via RS Mobile
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlo View Post
Having it under ur fathers name would mean that the car is primarily drive by HIM, not you. You are allowed a maximum of 4 days of usage per month or something, ICBC will cover you at the extend that you are not the daily driver
Posted via RS Mobile
If you have it under your fathers insurance, you need to ensure that you can prove your father drives it more calendar days per month than you do in the case of an accident. Aside from that, there is no limit on the amount you can drive it. As long as you aren't the one they drives it the most

I would be careful if you drive to and from work/school though. 6 calendar days maximum for you and your dad combined if you are only buying leisure
Posted via RS Mobile
aznkev03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:

thanks
Actually, the insurance can be under your father's name. However, you would have to lie and say your father was the principle driver to get whatever discount he has. If you do the proper way and have him designate you as the primary driver, then the insurance rate would be based on you. There may be a slight discount this way, but I don't think so, unless he already owns 4 other cars and this is the 5th one, then he'll get a slight discount.

Last edited by wing_woo; 02-20-2013 at 08:50 AM.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #18
I don't get it

If only you could fail...
dygital is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

My friend was driving with L all the time. This is like 4 years ago. He got caught like 4 times by the police. All they did writing him a bunch of ticket then threaten to tow his car away. (Usually he call someone and have them drive his car away) Funny thing is, he disputed every single tickets and went to court. And the judge actually reduce his fine like 50% every time. (He pledge guilty and said he was too poor to pay the ticket)ICBC keep suspending his license after he got his N though. He ended going back to China shortly after he got his N.
hkRicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #20
Throw yo paws in da air!

^ but is it worth it?..ive answered that question myself as someone who has done it. and your friend only recieved tickets but if your friend got into an accident it would be a whole different story. Thats why we are telling the OP not to do it..not "hey go ahead and fight the tickets when you get them, because you'll get your fine reduced most of the times since youre young and poor "

1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #21
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
Depending on what time of the day you do it, you risk up to $327 worth of tickets just for the restriction violations, plus any other moving violation tickets, plus the tow, plus the possible shaming in your parents being called to tell them that their car is in the impound lot waiting for them to pick it up.

Then you get to wait for the letter from the OSMV telling you that they're prohibiting you from driving. Then hopefully you'd be smart enough to not drive while prohibited and get to start your L process all over again from the beginning after paying to have your DL re-instated. At the end of the day, all costs involved will add up to close to $1000 (factoring in any taxis/bus trips needed while prohibited as well).

As zulu said, ICBC wouldn't cover you in any collision and may attribute majority blame on you even if you weren't the cause of the collision, due to the fact that you shouldn't have been on the road at all.
ICBC would still cover you in the event of a collision and cannot assign blame to you if you weren't the cause of the collision.

ICBC | When and why claims are denied

Violating your restrictions doesn't miraculously invalidate your license.

It's still an incredibly stupid idea to drive by yourself with an L unless it's an absolute emergency (i.e. your friend is dying and you need to get him to the hospital right now).
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #22
Throw yo paws in da air!

to add to what the officers in this thread have said, i disagree on something (unless they changed the rules recently)

they have stated that you start your L over again, which is NOT true (but like i said, unless they changed something within the last 2-3years) i never had too, i just continued my L when i got my license back. I had about 2 months left when i was suspended, and when i got it back 3 months later, i still had only 2 months to complete my L. Also you guys have stated that they get prohibited from driving, which is ICBC's call, which i believe is not true. if you get ONE ticket through the ordeal thats 3 points (assuming the tickets has pts and depending which ticket), and i believe 3 pts when on your L gets you into "probation" meaning any further tickets until you graduate from your L or N MAY result in a suspension. Last time i check anything more then 3 pts is immediate suspension. So if your ONE ticket you get is 4 pts + then youre SOL.

This is, once again, just my personal opinion that i observed while i was going through it

1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
Old 02-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznkev03 View Post
If you have it under your fathers insurance, you need to ensure that you can prove your father drives it more calendar days per month than you do in the case of an accident. Aside from that, there is no limit on the amount you can drive it. As long as you aren't the one they drives it the most

I would be careful if you drive to and from work/school though. 6 calendar days maximum for you and your dad combined if you are only buying leisure
Posted via RS Mobile
okay so how am i supposed to prove everytime my dad drives the car? incase of an accident? take a picture everytime he goes to work??
most likely the case is that im not buying leisure as he needs it as a DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
ICBC would still cover you in the event of a collision and cannot assign blame to you if you weren't the cause of the collision.

ICBC | When and why claims are denied

Violating your restrictions doesn't miraculously invalidate your license.

It's still an incredibly stupid idea to drive by yourself with an L unless it's an absolute emergency (i.e. your friend is dying and you need to get him to the hospital right now).
and JMac what do you mean ICBC will cover me?
like lets say i was driving across the intersection during a green light and some guy crosses a red light and hits my car. would i still be paying full price for the collision? due to the fact that when you have your Learner's you shouldn't be on the road?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #24

Quote:
okay so how am i supposed to prove everytime my dad drives the car? incase of an accident? take a picture everytime he goes to work??
most likely the case is that im not buying leisure as he needs it as a DD

like lets say i was driving across the intersection during a green light and some guy crosses a red light and hits my car. would i still be paying full price for the collision? due to the fact that when you have your Learner's you shouldn't be on the road?
They may ask for things like a letter from your father's employer stating which car he drives to work, etc.
Posted via RS Mobile
aznkev03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #25
Throw yo paws in da air!

Quote:
you are allowed on the road with your L, youre just legally supposed to be with a supervisor of 25years+ and they have to have a full license. In a case of an accident, if someone else hits you and you were alone with just your L, from what i read, i think you'll still be covered because it says the only way it wont cover you is "You were driving without a valid driver's licence or while your licence was suspended. " ...and although its your Learners, thats still a VALID drivers license (correct me if im wrong). I could be wrong though..and knowing ICBC they'll probably do whatever they can to find YOU at fault, even if you didnt cause the accident because you are driving without a supervisor

1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)