REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
"New York Times Tesla unreliability claims a sham" says Tesla onboard computers

Quote:
Tesla has torn into the New York Times review of its Model S electric car, using systems logs showing charge and recharge status, driving style, cabin settings and more to undermine claims the EV is unreliable. In a detailed run-down of the stats gathered by the Model S’ onboard computer – something Tesla says it always does “carefully” on media drives, after UK car show Top Gear made similar reliability claims about a previous model, in a case which ended up in the courtroom

Tesla CEO Elon Musk argues that NYT reviewer John Broder was prejudiced against electric cars from the start, and did as much as possible to portray the Model S as unfit for the road.

For instance, the onboard logs showing what charge the Model S had at points of the journey, and when Broder decided to recharge, indicate he took the car off the power connection earlier than stated in the original review. “The final leg of his trip was 61 miles and yet he disconnected the charge cable when the range display stated 32 miles” Musk argues. “He did so expressly against the advice of Tesla personnel and in obvious violation of common sense.”

Meanwhile, some of Broder’s claims about how he tried to minimize power consumption are also challenged. Musk points to the typical speeds driven at – 65 to 85 mph – and the average cabin temperature of 72F for the duration of the test, and the fact that the reviewer also actively turned the heating up when charge was getting low.

Broder is even accused of trying to artificially run down the Model S’ battery by more than it would typically, driving “in circles for over half a mile in a tiny, 100-space parking lot” in front of one of Tesla’s Supercharger power stations, in what Musk suggests is an attempt to fully drain the car.
Tesla tears down NYT Model S review with car’s own logs - SlashGear
Advertisement
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,151 Times in 2,395 Posts
Here's a nice list of the goings-on of the whole debacle:

More Reading On The Telsa VS New York Times Story
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I skimmed through a bunch of the articles, and it seems like the reviewer was really pushing the limits of the Model S' range capabilities. I don't think the average commuter would really travel that kind of mileage on a regular basis, let alone expect their Model S to last that long on a single charge.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Two CNN reporters are doing the same route with 96 miles to spare. That NYT reporter won't be enjoying the next week.

From reddit (source from the Twitter feeds of the two CNN reporters):
Two CNN reporters are driving Tesla Model S over same route as NYTimes columnist right now! : technology
dasani604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Wow, Tesla couldn't buy publicity like this even if they wanted to.

Having said that, I would buy a Tesla...after fulfilling my fantasy 20 car garage first.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote