REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Ram 1500 Diesel this year

There's been rumors for years of 1/2 ton diesels but now it looks official on multiple sites (I'll believe it when I see it)

Chrysler Group LLC’s Ram truck division said it will begin selling a version of its Ram 1500 pickup with a diesel engine – a feature rival truck makers offer only in commercial-oriented heavy-duty models, or don’t offer at all.

The coming truck, which will arrive in the third quarter of this year as a 2014 model, will have a 3.0-liter V6 called the EcoDiesel, and an eight-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission. Chrysler said it expects this powertrain combination to give the vehicle best-in-class fuel economy.

“Truck owners have been emphatically asking for it, and Ram will be the only manufacturer to offer a diesel powertrain in the half-ton segment with the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel,” said Fred Diaz, president and CEO of the Ram brand and Chrysler de Mexico.

The diesel Ram is part of a broad program at Chrysler to chip away at its market-share deficit compared with “Detroit Three” rivals Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Co. The Ford F-150 and Chevrolet Silverado light-duty pickups have long outsold the Ram. The company hopes to attract a wider range of customers, including personal-use buyers, by offering more features including engine options.

“The half-ton truck market is incredibly competitive,” Diaz said, noting the latest Ram has won a number of awards but cannot rest on its laurels. “We must keep pushing,” he said.

Chrysler said the 2014 Ram’s turbo diesel engine is manufactured by VM Motori, which has supplied the company with diesels since 1992.

Official press release
http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsre...d=13869&mid=70
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
This engine would be much better in the Wrangler... Slightly underpowered for a full size pickup imo.
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
No to the part of lack of power. With the diesel the torque peak will be probably 1500-2000 rpm which will be perfect for every city person who wants a daily driving truck that isn't 8000lbs, can still pull a small camper, or trailer and probably still get class leading mileage.

Jeep has a diesel already. If you got a wrangler it seems the go to swap is a hemi.

Edit: I believe I read somewhere that it will be around 400lbtq stock. Also been reading Cummins is coming out with a v8 engine.. Possibly to be found in a ram in the future.
Posted via RS Mobile
TjAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Idk. I would buy a Wrangler with that 3.0l turbo diesel in it tomorrow.
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
Idk. I would buy a Wrangler with that 3.0l turbo diesel in it tomorrow.
Report: Jeep Wrangler diesel is next “target” after Grand Cherokee diesel in US - egmCarTech

"According to the report, Jeep’s head honcho Mike Manley told TheDetroitFreePress that demand for a Wrangler diesel is high: “Wrangler customers really want a diesel. It’s a target vehicle for a diesel once we see the reaction to the Grand Cherokee [diesel].”

No shit. We've been asking for a factory North American diesel since the CJ days. The Pentastar is a great improvement over the 4.0, 3.6 and 3.7 that preceded it but there's certainly room for progress with a solid diesel in the platform somewhere.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
or you could always be a trooper and swap in a 4bt Cummins.
Posted via RS Mobile
TjAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
i remember there was a rumour that ford was going to include a diesel on the new f150 but they said nobody would pay $6-7000 for the option. Wonder how dodge is going to pull it off.

Maybe theres hope for the 4.5L duramax or any of fords wonderful duratorqs
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
even tho Im a Ford guy this is very exciting news. Anytime one of the 3 (or 4 if you count toyota) steps up and offers something new or a step forward it drastically moves all of the trucks forward.

Ford was going to do a diesel F150 but instead opted to do the Ecoboost and the next generation is going to focus on cutting weight with extensive use of Aluminum.

Your move, GM. Oh wait, you've already played your hand and it was more of the same.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

that's awesome, plus the ram made top 10 most reliable veh for 2013 eh
beproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
i remember there was a rumour that ford was going to include a diesel on the new f150 but they said nobody would pay $6-7000 for the option. Wonder how dodge is going to pull it off.

Maybe theres hope for the 4.5L duramax or any of fords wonderful duratorqs
I think there is totally a market for a diesel powered truck, that isn't the size of a semi.

Shit. They put them in everything in every other part of the world. Make it happen here.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
The thing is, 15 years ago, 1ton trucks like the F350 and 3500s were the same size truck as the half ton F150s and 1500s. They used the same body, but had heavier chassis/axles and bigger engines. Today, the half tons are double the size they were 15 years ago, with the one tons significantly bigger than that, and the term half ton is actually irrelevant as most F150s and 1500s can payload a ton and the big trucks can payload like 2+.

And today,an F150 today can tow 11,300lbs, similar to an F350 from 15 years ago. 15 years ago max towing on a half ton was somewhere around 7000lbs.

There arent many regular people who need an F350 or 3500 these days, and honestly, they are tough to drive in town and parking is a nightmare.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Giant recall zaps Ram 1500, Dakota pickups

T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

TUNDRA MOTHERFOCKERZ

PULLED THE FUCKING SPACE SHUTTLE BITCH

Last edited by Ronith; 02-16-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Ronith is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #14
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronith View Post
TUNDRA MOTHERFOCKERZ

PULLED THE FUCKING SPACE SHUTTLE BITCH
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote