REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Japanese Restaurant Charges For Leftover Food (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680497-japanese-restaurant-charges-leftover-food.html)

Timpo 02-15-2013 02:03 AM

Japanese Restaurant Charges For Leftover Food

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

xilley 02-15-2013 02:28 AM

I respect that.

coming from an asian family, I always finish the LAST piece of rice in my bowl.

RevYouUp 02-15-2013 02:34 AM

When I read the thread title, I thought this was going to be about AYCE sushi

StylinRed 02-15-2013 02:44 AM

a lot do

i remember a server discussing it with the manager when my friend and i left a lot of food on our plates (at some sushi place) they had decided that since we left a sizable tip that they'll ignore it (speaking in canto assuming we were clueless)

FerrariEnzo 02-15-2013 03:56 AM

Why is this even news?

We have a " The Official No Need To Start a New Thread, Thread" for a reason

PJ 02-15-2013 06:03 AM

I think it makes sense for AYCE... Otherwise I disagree.

What difference does it make to the restaurant if I finish the food there, or take it to go and toss it in the garbage?

I understand there's a respect angle to it, but if you're charging the customer.. then the food's already "paid for."

drunkrussian 02-15-2013 07:11 AM

i agree if you paid for it and it's not ayce this is disrespectful to the customer. Their customers keep them in business, they should respect them
Posted via RS Mobile

Spoon 02-15-2013 07:11 AM

Despite all the save the whales attitude. North Americans are one of the most wasteful countries when it comes to food. Not surprised that things like these actually made it to the news ...
Posted via RS Mobile

SkinnyPupp 02-15-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8160627)
Despite all the save the whales attitude. North Americans are one of the most wasteful countries when it comes to food. Not surprised that things like these actually made it to the news ...
Posted via RS Mobile

Spend more than one day in Japan, and you'll see that they are the most wastefull country you've ever been to.

Which is why I find it funny how they promote themselves as "leading the way" in terms of 'saving the environment'. They create these projects that get a lot of press, like construction developments and cars, but in day to day life, there is no one more wasteful than the Japanese.

Mr.HappySilp 02-15-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8160630)
Spend more than one day in Japan, and you'll see that they are the most wastefull country you've ever been to.

Which is why I find it funny how they promote themselves as "leading the way" in terms of 'saving the environment'. They create these projects that get a lot of press, like construction developments and cars, but in day to day life, there is no one more wasteful than the Japanese.

Can you list some exaples, just curious.

I am agree if it is AYCE then yea if I am wasting food then charge for it but if I pay for it, I do what I want with it.

I remember reading an article about how wasteful Los Vegas is. One day of food there can feed a 3rd world city for a month or something like that.....

rsx604 02-15-2013 08:15 AM

How about individual packed everything for one? Packaging is crazy there.

SkinnyPupp 02-15-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8160650)
Can you list some exaples, just curious.

I am agree if it is AYCE then yea if I am wasting food then charge for it but if I pay for it, I do what I want with it.

I remember reading an article about how wasteful Los Vegas is. One day of food there can feed a 3rd world city for a month or something like that.....

Easiest example I can think of off the top of my head while drinking

Went to Mr. Donuts to buy a donut.

Bought one donut. They put it in a bag.

Then they put that bag in a bag.

Then they put that bag in a box.

Then they wrapped that box in a bag.

For one. Fucking. Donut.

And that is how they package everything sold in retail.

Again that is just one example, but that's just how it is there. On one hand they push themselves as leaders in 'the planet' but all it really comes down to is that they are leaders in 'eco marketing' something I am totally against.

Nightwalker 02-15-2013 08:50 AM

I've never heard of anything like this, but I kinda like it.

I always get my leftovers in a doggy bag for later anyway though.

I HATE wasting food.

Spoon 02-15-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8160657)
Easiest example I can think of off the top of my head while drinking

Went to Mr. Donuts to buy a donut.

Bought one donut. They put it in a bag.

Then they put that bag in a bag.

Then they put that bag in a box.

Then they wrapped that box in a bag.

For one. Fucking. Donut.

I was actually referring to North American's lack of appreciation for the food that's available such as their biases towards the consumption of an animal 's innards etc (which is pretty much wasting perfectly good food).

SkinnyPupp 02-15-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8160686)
I was actually referring to North American's lack of appreciation for the food that's available such as their biases towards the consumption of an animal 's innards etc (which is pretty much wasting perfectly good food).

Oh the innards don't go to waste, don't worry. Even if people don't eat it, it'll end up as dog food or something.

El Bastardo 02-15-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8160686)

If they reuse broth and rice at Pho Hoa, they'll reuse a few pieces or rolls at AYCE sushi

AzNightmare 02-15-2013 11:20 AM

I don't know, I'm getting more of the impression the restaurant is too full of themselves.
Reminds me of that article where the restaurant doesn't allow you to use soy sauce for their sushi because you're ruining the chef's "perfect" creation, and it's meant to be eaten exactly the way it's served.

:seriously::rukidding:

ToneCapone 02-15-2013 12:37 PM

This is all pretty shitty, and imma let y'all finish.... but Simply Delicious (on main st) charged me $1 for tea with my meal. It wasn't even a tea bag... it was the standard pour tea that all Japanese places serve for free. WTF! Otherwise it was pretty good.... live music on Thursdays. You should go there. Don't get tea. Unless you want some tea. Then you pay.

And I totally respect what the restaurant in Japan is doing with regards to the donations. Pass on the sea chanty.

Matlock 02-15-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xilley (Post 8160580)
I respect that.

coming from an asian family, I always finish the LAST piece of rice in my bowl.

"...or else the poor rice farmer will cry," which was what I was always told.

miss_crayon 02-15-2013 12:48 PM

I can see both arguments here on the thread.

But like someone said, as an Asian..I was always taught to finish everything in my bowl. Momma Crayon always told me to finish off each grain of rice cause the rice farmers spent a lot of time and effort growing it. ..THAT and my parents made me believe the myth where if you don't finish all the grains of rice in your bowl..your husband/wife will be pimpley faced.

Where do parents come up with these things?? This was also told by their parents and their grandparents etc etc.

freakshow 02-15-2013 01:14 PM

It's possible that they just do it for show, kind of like when you have to sign a waiver to eat hot sauce at sammy js

noventa 02-15-2013 01:29 PM

why is rule one "don't talk about fight club"?

Not really racist! 02-15-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss_crayon (Post 8160826)
I can see both arguments here on the thread.

But like someone said, as an Asian..I was always taught to finish everything in my bowl. Momma Crayon always told me to finish off each grain of rice cause the rice farmers spent a lot of time and effort growing it. ..THAT and my parents made me believe the myth where if you don't finish all the grains of rice in your bowl..your husband/wife will be pimpley faced.

Where do parents come up with these things?? This was also told by their parents and their grandparents etc etc.

yup, parents taught me the pimpley face one.. hahha

TheKingdom2000 02-15-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ (Post 8160608)
I think it makes sense for AYCE... Otherwise I disagree.

What difference does it make to the restaurant if I finish the food there, or take it to go and toss it in the garbage?

I understand there's a respect angle to it, but if you're charging the customer.. then the food's already "paid for."

I don't see this being any different from buying a membership in a club. If you're in the club, you follow the rules of the club.

Likewise, if you go to their restaurant you must follow their rules. They even tell you about the rule. If you don't like it then don't order it or don't go to that restaurant. It's not like they're blind siding anyone here.

Hurricane 02-15-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8160630)

Not even close.

Fortunately, some people who likely spent much more than one day in Japan did the research for us.

Pollution municipal waste per capita statistics - countries compared - Environment data on NationMaster

Yes they use a lot of extra packaging in particular retail (mostly high end food/souvenir) shops.

On the other hand, the average 4 person family puts out a small 20L garbage bag a couple of times a week, meanwhile many North American families put out 2 70L giant garbage cans worth.

Lets not even consider the fact the whole recycling system in Japan is about a decade more advanced than here.

Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong.