REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #51
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
whoa thats overpriced. i went to a local store in richmond and got a .73ct/e/vvs2 round cut for 5K.
what most people, especially girls, don't understand is that the most important C is cut. It's been mentioned several times on this thread yet not one single person has mentioned cut grade when talking about how much they spent on stone/e-ring. And no, cut doesn't mean the diamond shape, ie "round cut".

what was the cut grade of your stone? was it GIA/AGS certified?

Cut will determine the beauty of the stone, while colour, clarity and even carat really just defines the rarity.
Advertisement

My Feedback

Blah™

Last edited by Hakkaboy; 02-18-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #52
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Oh man, don't buy from Spence... more business --> more revenue --> more of those awful commercials with the dude's fucking annoying voice.

Plus... can't remember where I read it, but apparently they have microphones stashed around the store so they can listen in on people discussing budgets/stones/etc in "private".
Majestic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
Customer service at Spence is probably the best. But the setting demos at Spence are nothing like Tacori. (I know... I am comparing apples to oranges).

Diamond wise, I think Spence's price is similar to any other local jewellers. So it's way more expensive than online. Do they offer GIA/AGS certs? I think Spence "adopt" GIA guidelines only.

I think you got a pretty good deal with a platinum

Obviously when I walk into Birks, I expect way higher price.
Yeah, they use GIA guidelines, assuming I'm reading the Cert properly. I do agree with you that theirs settings are crap. I only found 1 that I liked but the gf wants to get a custom band, so the platinum is gonna get melted with a couple of her old platinum bands and we're gonna get a custom one done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
whoa thats overpriced. i went to a local store in richmond and got a .73ct/e/vvs2 round cut for 5K.
You're referring to the quote I got from Birks, right? I think they kinda inflate their prices a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
what most people, especially girls, don't understand is that the most important C is cut. It's been mentioned several times on this thread yet not one single person has mentioned cut grade when talking about how much they spent on stone/e-ring. And no, cut doesn't mean the diamond shape, ie "round cut".

Cut will determine the beauty of the stone, while colour, clarity and even carat really just defines the rarity.
How is cut graded?
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #54
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
^ yes, i was referring to the price from birks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post

yes it was sent in and got appraised and certified. make sure you do that as well. get papers for insurance and travel purposes. it was appraised at 10k or 15k.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #55
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

anyone had any prior experience purchasing from bluenile? They ship from the states hence there will be duty/brokerage fee charged?
fetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post

How is cut graded?
This online vendor does a pretty comprensive job explaining it:

Cut - GoodOldGold.com

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:09 AM   #57
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Imperial Hotel Management College: The Diamond's 4C's / Diamonds 101
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #58
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
diamonds are the worst investment
not as bad as the woman he's about to give the diamond to ... or man ... not that there is anything wrong with that ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #59
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

A co-worker told me the Hearts and arrow cut is the best cut you can get. It maximizes on glitterness+bling. However, it requires a lot of precision as 1 nick can flaw the entire diamond. Plus jewelers use the higher grade diamonds to do this cut so more $$$. Anybody have any insights to this cut?
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #60
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Any one know if these local jewellery store sell "placeholder" rings?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #61
RS controls my life!

Are you able to finance rings at jewlery stores?
red_2 is offline   Reply With Quote