REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Real guidelines for ride height. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680608-real-guidelines-ride-height.html)

westopher 02-17-2013 04:55 PM

Real guidelines for ride height.

I was wondering if there were any concrete answers of how low a car can be before we get hassled. I have read a few things, such as 24 inch headlight height, no part of the cars body can be lower than the lip of the rim, tires can not rub the fender, etc. but none seemed to be any official rules, just statements spread throughout the internet from whatever sources. Anyone have the real answer?
Thanks

jlenko 02-17-2013 05:43 PM

BC Laws

Happy reading!

westopher 02-17-2013 06:07 PM

Looks like this one is the main one to worry about. I'll just copy it here so the info is easily attainable. Thanks for the link.
Clearance height
7.091 A motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4 500 kg must have a minimum clearance for all parts of it, other than the wheels in contact with the level roadway, that is no lower than the lowest point on the rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway.

Looks like I'm safe:fullofwin:

AVS_Racing 02-17-2013 06:11 PM

"minimum clearance for all parts of it" as in nothing is scraping the road??

"that is no lower than the lowest point on the rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway. " as in body panels can't be lower than bottom of wheel??

westopher 02-17-2013 06:15 PM

That what I gather from that and have read in the past. Body panels and subframe, exhaust, etc.

jing 02-17-2013 07:09 PM

Even with all these laws, I think it's really up to the officer's discretion. I got VI'd way back from an officer who claimed that my exhaust would scrape on speed bumps, causing sparks that would inevitably lead to a brush fire. I rolled my eyes and didn't bother arguing, but I knew it was bs as my 3" turboback exhaust at the time tucked an inch above the frame tails. This was before I lowered the car even more and event that height the only thing that ever scraped was my front bumper.

My Miata now is a diff story tho... Polished frame rails and it's still pretty high in comparison to some other guys I've seen lulz

zulutango 02-17-2013 07:49 PM

As far as clearances for tyres etc goes, the full provincial inspection book will give you the actual things you need to pass an inspection.

melloman 02-18-2013 07:16 AM

@Westopher: You've got it pretty close to bang on.

Headlight height is 22" (56cm) from road surface to centre headlight:
Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

Then you already found the law stating the lowest part of the vehicle must be the bottom of the rim.

Tires must not rub is right. You also have coverage of tires, being that the TREAD must be fully covered by the fenders. If a tire is stretched, then the "stretch" part does not have to be fully covered by the fender.