REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   getting married raising family in a 1 bedroom apartment (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680670-getting-married-raising-family-1-bedroom-apartment.html)

diesel_test 02-18-2013 09:17 PM

getting married raising family in a 1 bedroom apartment

Turning 28 in a few months and im planning to get engaged/married soon wanna start a family have a few kids, do you think my girlfriend will get turned off if i plan to buy a 1 bedroom apartment to raise a family in OR A HOUSE is a MUST?

flagella 02-18-2013 09:20 PM

Think first. How the hell are you gonna raise a FEW kids with 1 bdrm?

Gridlock 02-18-2013 09:22 PM

I've been in people's apartments that have a couple has a child in. It's insane. First, the smallest human takes up the most space. The apartment loses all sense of being "a home" and becomes a vessel for containing bodies.

I won't rent to people that are trying to do what you are thinking of doing. It's just nothing but problems.

I don't think you need the house-its nice for sure, but the child needs a room.
Posted via RS Mobile

kunoman1 02-18-2013 09:22 PM

I dont think a house is a must..but seriously where do you expect to put a few kids in a 1 bedroom apartment...unless one of the kids is sleeping in one of these

http://dorkdaddydotcom.files.wordpre...9/cupboard.jpg

q0192837465 02-18-2013 09:40 PM

You wouldn't have stairs in an apartment.
Posted via RS Mobile

vafanculo 02-18-2013 09:46 PM

One kid is doable..but you best be moving out before he or she turns 4..

Also you can do a 2 bedroom apartment or a townhouse..both cheaper
Posted via RS Mobile

1exotic 02-18-2013 09:47 PM

what about everything inbetween.

a 2 bedroom apartment, a smaller house, townhouse, complex house? .....

kwy 02-18-2013 09:48 PM

:seriously:

E-40six 02-18-2013 09:49 PM

1 Bedroom apartment is definitely doable with your skill set :thumbs:

There have been others that have done it

spideyv2 02-18-2013 09:54 PM

I'm puzzled as to how the OP found a woman. I'm even more puzzled as to how he's going to raise a family.

Ulic Qel-Droma 02-18-2013 09:57 PM

do what you can afford, and move up from there when you make more money.

twitchyzero 02-18-2013 09:59 PM

it's been a while since diesel_test created a thread

http://blogs.evtrib.com/nerdvana/fil...206320-yes.jpg

MG1 02-18-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diesel_test (Post 8163619)
do you think my girlfriend will get turned off if i plan to buy a 1 bedroom apartment to raise a family in OR A HOUSE is a MUST?

I usually don't like getting involved in other people's business, but since you brought it up..............

Why don't you ask your girlfriend instead of posting this on RS?

Pretty important to discuss the topic of starting a family with your life partner, yes?

Honestly, maybe you need to get to know your girlfriend a little better before getting married.

J-Chow 02-18-2013 10:13 PM

Yea, it's not gonna happen unless you're overseas in Hong Kong or China (just sayin) lol.

I'm 27, gettin married next month, and we just bought a 2 bed 2 bath condo. If we have more than 1 kid, then we move to a townhouse because houses in Richmond are overrated :P

StylinRed 02-18-2013 10:51 PM

guys its dieseltest... why you taking this seriously?
asians raise bigger families in a loft ;)

drunkrussian 02-18-2013 10:53 PM

ppl are spoiled me and my friends grew up this way and we are fine. With that said of course if you can afford it a two bedroom would be more comfortable. The house thing is bullshit western thinking, if you prefer a house that'd great but by no means is it a must
Posted via RS Mobile

Matlock 02-18-2013 11:11 PM

I grew up in a 1 bed room apartment until the age of 13, but I only lived with my dad. Works fine for single parents I guess. Maybe fathers with sons in particular. I think it would be awkward for fathers with daughters or mothers with sons.

BrRsn 02-18-2013 11:48 PM

parm104 02-19-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diesel_test (Post 8163619)
If im to get engaged/married soon wanna start a family have a few kids, do you think my girlfriend will get turned off if i plan to buy a 1 bedroom apartment to raise a family in OR A HOUSE is a MUST?

Before you start asking whether your "girlfriend would get turned off"....perhaps ask yourself whether you think you can raise a family in a one bedroom apartment?

If the answer is no, then save up more money and wait to start a family. If you think you can do it, then just go do it. If your girl will walk away because you can't afford a house, then maybe you should check in with someone else?

just my $0.02

geelaw 02-19-2013 01:30 AM

agreed, if your girl is going to be "turned off" or walk away and not be supportive of what you can or cannot afford right now.. might be a problem here.

radioman 02-19-2013 03:20 AM

Man you are one of the most resilient human beings I know.

You've suffered bankruptcy, severe depression, career change, and now marriage.

You should right a book like our friend Jason2000.

OP LIFE STORY: http://www.revscene.net/forums/67307...ml#post8016637

LancerBoy 02-19-2013 06:34 AM

Buy a1 bedroom condo for now. This keeps the minimum mortgage payment low. Use the surplus to make extra payments in order to save interest and shorten the amortization. Live easy with money flexibility.

Travel the world with your wife for 2-3 years and enjoy the date life before the kids come. No need to rush at all.

When you both agree its time to bring a new life to this world, then buy a 2 bedroom/townhouse/house. Sell the 1bedroom or rent it out, your choice.

duc_evo_sp 02-19-2013 06:44 AM

I believe op way of thinking is a wise one.

1. A child isn't going to care if you live in a huge house or a shack. Being involved in their life is much more important.

2. A child needs their parents to be around a lot more these days than in the past.

3. If you do as you say "cheap out" and buy an apartment, you could possibly free extra monies by no having to deal with the annoyances of a detached home.

4. Working 40 hours a week tops and not worrying about bills will have a positive effect on your child.

That's my pov but op shouldn't give a shit what people think. FUCK PEER PRESSURE OR FUCK WESTERN PEER PRESSURE!

Presto 02-19-2013 06:55 AM

Does your girlfriend know you're planning on getting engaged/married, soon? Your life planning seems to be on the same level as your financial planning.

punkwax 02-19-2013 07:00 AM

Don't even think about having kids until you're financially secure. Srs. :denied: