REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Contact Lenses (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680766-contact-lenses.html)

K3V 02-20-2013 09:22 PM

Contact Lenses

I just got my contact lenses yesterday and they are a bitch to put on and take out.

How long does it take to get used to this? I pick at my eye for atleast 10-15 trying to take them out..

invader 02-20-2013 09:43 PM

You get use to it. Takes some time.

Mr.Money 02-20-2013 10:23 PM

hold down the skin on the bottom of you're eye,they use to try make that shit complicated spreading your eyes with your pointing finger & thumb :fuckthatshit:
make big eyes,fold down the skin on your bottom eye while looking in the mirror in drop in the Contact....done...

make sure after you take you're contacts out of the case,wash them again with some solution..there's still crap loose floating around in it

taking the contact out is the easy part.....have dry fingers & "pinch" them out...of course softly & carefully...having short finger nails helps 100%..

FN-2199 02-20-2013 10:33 PM

When I first started using contacts, I would always position the lens on my index finger, and then with both middle fingers, pull my eyelids open and plop it on. Same procedure to get it out, except you grab it with your index and thumb.

Over time you'll get used to touching your eye, and countlessly get pissed off every time you drop a contact into the sink.

Good luck! :thumbs:

mr_chin 02-20-2013 10:57 PM

I find that when the contacts are very wet, it's hard to stick to your pupils.

Some tips I would offer is

- Try to get all the water out of the concave part of the lens
- When you have the lens in contact with your pupil, hold it sets in (you'll feel it)
- Make sure all your finger tip is dry except for your index finger (easier to hold your eye lids open)
- Taking it out is the easiest part. My optometrist taught me to pick it. But I find it better to pinch it from the side.

I stopped wearing mine because it's so irritating. I find it very hard to set in. I think I only had one occasion where I didn't actually feel anything in my eye. Otherwise, it felt like there is an eyelash in my eye. The contacts covers more than my pupil, maybe that's why.

subordinate 02-20-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K3V (Post 8165595)
I just got my contact lenses yesterday and they are a bitch to put on and take out.

How long does it take to get used to this? I pick at my eye for atleast 10-15 trying to take them out..

They can be trouble taking out when worn for a while. I like to move them around a bit so it breaks the dried funk when worn for a long time. Then I open my eyes without blinking until I can't anymore (weird I know, but oddly, I find it easier to take out after lol). And using the method posted above, I take it out.

Yeah, some days, contacts can be a breeze to put in/take out and vice versa on other days.

Just keep in mind the IMPORTANCE of washing your hands with soap and drying them off. And how long they need to be kept in solution to be cleaned and to NOT get water in them if you are going to wear them for an extended time after.

A couple stories out there on people who wore weeklies/monthlies and swam or showered with them without realizing bacteria can be caught behind the lens and fester. Then they lose vision.

jack3d 02-21-2013 04:49 AM

make sure your fingers are dry, have a firm grip on them first before you pinch. its easy

yeppi 02-21-2013 10:12 AM

My tip for putting contacts on is not to stick the contacts evenly to the eye, but to put it in at an angle first

A tip to get contacts out when worn for a long time (eyes and contacts become dry) is to either drip one or two drops of solution into the eye, then take it out. Instead of doing a drop or two, you can also wet your pinching fingers with solution first.

Works for me
Posted via RS Mobile

K3V 02-21-2013 09:25 PM

Thanks for the tips, got a lot easier by the next day !

TheSalesman 02-26-2013 06:32 PM

I always look another way so I put the contact on the side of the eye and slide it towards the proper position. I found it easier then putting it directly on.
Also if it doesn't stick on, I will move my eye around while still holding it in with my index finger and it usually helps.

Ri2 02-26-2013 06:54 PM

I work at an optometrist office and I get this question all the time

Is this your first time using contact lenses? How often are you planning on wearing contacts? (How many days out of the week? How many hours? Doing what?)

What brand lenses do you have? Are they sphere or toric lenses? What is your Rx like? What kind of solution do you use?

At the end of the day when you take them out, are you finding that your eyes are red, dry, itchy or uncomfortable in any way at all?

As for putting them in, that will take some practice... make sure that you are putting they on the right way... when it's on your finger tip look at the edge of the lens, it should resemble the edge of a bowl.. if it's a sharp edge, it's probably the wrong way.

Make sure there is no residue or particles on the lens when you put it in, you will be able to feel it once it's on your eye anyway. If when you put it on and it feels uncomfortable, don't rub it... if there's a particle on it and you rub it you could scratch your cornea.

If you're having trouble taking them out, try using eye drops that are safe for all contact lenses. The ones we give out at the office for CL wearers are Systane and Blink. Bausch & Laumb Refresh are also good.

Put a few eye drops in and wait 5-10 minutes, blinking a few times before you attempt to take them out. The reason they are hard to take out is probably at the end of the day they're dry and stuck to your eyeball.....sufficient lubrication will help that. If the first application of drops doesn't help, put more in.

You don't want to continuously pick at your eyeballs because you could damage your eye.

If you're having a hard time even with the drops, you can buy a little suction cup to help you take them out.

see.lai 02-26-2013 07:56 PM

Been using contact lenses for about 4 years.
What I learned is that you should never sleep with them on (accidentally). You may get more tired when you wear them.

The method that has worked for me was the 2 middle fingers keeping the eye open. It literally takes less than 1 minute for both to go on unless there's a freaking eyelash in there.

Ri2 02-26-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by see.lai (Post 8170765)
Been using contact lenses for about 4 years.
What I learned is that you should never sleep with them on (accidentally). You may get more tired when you wear them.

The method that has worked for me was the 2 middle fingers keeping the eye open. It literally takes less than 1 minute for both to go on unless there's a freaking eyelash in there.

Air Optix Night & Day are actually approved to be worn 30 days/nights straight.... but optometrists still don't recommend wearing contact lenses while sleeping just do to the bacteria/protein that builds up over time :)

Any other contact lenses are better if they're out at the end of the night.... ESPECIALLY coloured lenses!!! Colour lenses are really bad for your eyes because of the thickness so the amount of O2 that goes through the lens is very minimal compared to a clear, regular lens....

If you sleep with coloured lens and experience any discomfort please see an optometrist right away.....

InvisibleSoul 02-26-2013 10:04 PM

I wear O2Optix and I never take them off.

I had a full eye exam done a few months ago at the Downtown Vancouver Optometry Clinic, and was told my eyes are in very good condition.

Then I told him that prior to the exam, I had worn the same pair of contacts for four years continuously. He was pretty shocked.

EXV603 02-26-2013 10:25 PM

^you are crazy man. 4 years??? obviously you took them out and cleaned them right???

subordinate 02-26-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 8170962)

I had a full eye exam done a few months ago at the Downtown Vancouver Optometry Clinic, and was told my eyes are in very good condition.

Then I told him that prior to the exam, I had worn the same pair of contacts for four years continuously. He was pretty shocked.

What the hell, after a week, the quality of the contacts noticeable break down.
How'd you manage 4 years, out of a single pair? That's unheard of!

kunoman1 02-27-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 8170962)

What about when you were in the shower, or while in water?

What kind of contacts are these and where can I get them?!

invader 02-27-2013 12:29 PM

Damn you lucky guys. My eyes are at the point where they get allergic to silicone and I can't wear them for more than 3 hours.

sam0m0 03-04-2013 01:55 PM

I wear the 2 weeks acuvue oasis with hydraclear for 1 month. Even if you got the 1 yr versions, wearing them for 4 yrs is nuts lol