REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #51
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Why, hello Canada..

Quote:
Think you're eating tuna? Think again
Food experts surprised at lack of concern over mislabelled fish in Canada
Posted: Apr 8, 2013 5:37 AM ET

DNA analysis shows 41 per cent of fish in Canadian seafood outlets is mislabelled, but food experts say Canadian consumers are not paying enough attention. (AP Photo)

While controversy over horsemeat in the European beef and pork supply has captivated people around the world, food experts say Canadian consumers are blasé about mislabelled seafood in North America.

DNA analysis shows 33 per cent of fish sold in grocery stores, restaurants and sushi venues in the U.S. is mislabelled, according to a recent study conducted at the Biodiversity Institute of Ontario (BIO) at the University of Guelph.

The result is consistent with a 2011 study by BIO that looked at samples from five Canadian cities, including Vancouver, Toronto, Gatineau, Que., Montreal and Quebec City and found that 41 per cent of fish was mislabelled.

The latest study of U.S. fish samples, commissioned by the ocean conservation group Oceana, found inferior farmed fish are often substituted for more expensive species. For instance, pangasius is often sold as grouper, sole and cod; tilapia as red snapper; and Atlantic farmed salmon as wild or king salmon.

Dirk Steinke, BIO's director of education and outreach who conducted the 2011 study and helped interpret the results of the latest U.S. sample tests, said he was "a little amused" by Canadian consumers' lukewarm response.

"Of course the Americans were very shocked. I saw a few reactions from close by in B.C., where people said in Canada that won't be the case. Knowing that in Vancouver we found the same rate [of mislabelling], I'm a little surprised to hear that," he said.

Among the recent study’s key findings:
  • Red snapper and tuna are the most frequently mislabelled species (87 and 59 per cent, respectively).
  • Only seven of the 120 red snapper samples tested correctly.
  • 84 per cent of white tuna samples were actually escolar, which can cause digestive issues for some people.

Mike Nagy, a sustainable food systems consultant in Ontario, said that consumers seldom tolerate fraudulent labelling of land-based food like beef, but there is less diligence when it comes to seafood.

“Somehow in our psyche, especially in Central Canada where we are not tied to the coast, seafood is sort of off our radar,” he told CBC Radio’s The Current.

According to Nagy, consumers who fall for seafood mislabelling are not only paying more for lower-grade items, they might also be buying fish that is unsustainable and carry potential health risks.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency, which enforces the country’s food labelling laws, was not available for comment.

Learning from “Sushi-gate”

Seafood fraud has garnered the interest of researchers since 2008, when two high school students from New York did a DNA analysis that found a quarter of fish products at Manhattan sushi restaurants and seafood markets were mislabelled.

Steinke said that since "Sushi-gate," there has been no improvement in fish labelling, despite numerous studies that confirmed the global trend.

"I don’t see anybody being punished for mislabelling anything. I don’t see any kind of legislation that actually tracks them down."

Steinke added that while the horsemeat that somehow managed to show up in the European beef and pork supply is likely an accident that will eventually sort itself out, the rampant seafood fraud is an ongoing global problem.

"It's a systematic way of keeping the entire economy going on the wrong premises," he said.

According to Steinke, the seafood industry's identity crisis is driven largely by the financial pressures on companies having to deal with depleted fish stocks. As a result, they take advantage of the price gap by substituting lower-grade fish for expensive species.

While financial advantage is a factor, the sheer number of transactions from the fishing vessel to the dinner table also complicates the labelling process, Nagy said.

"So you have vast amount of products going through vast amount of hands, and that leaves a lot of room for substitution and fraud," he told CBC News.

‘Difficult to make an informed choice’

Nagy said the problem is made worse by Canada's lax labelling system, which gives buyers little information about the country of origin and the capture method of seafood products.

"It's very difficult to make an informed choice just based on basic product [labelling], let alone whether it's the right product in there or not," he said.

Melanie Joy, a Harvard-educated psychologist and author of Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows, said she is "curious about the public's reaction" to the latest seafood fraud study.

"What I find interesting is this study doesn't seem to have been as widely disseminated as the horsemeat one," she told CBC News.

She cited “carnism,” a belief system that guides us to eat certain animals. She said that the more we identify with an animal, the more likely we are to feel empathy for it and the less likely we are to want to eat it.

"It’s easier for humans to identify with mammals, for example, than it is to identify with fish. It's more difficult to perceive the suffering of fish and other aquatic life," she said.

"The idea of eating horsemeat causes a stronger moral reaction and therefore a stronger level of disgust."

Source: Think you're eating tuna? Think again - Technology & Science - CBC News
Discus.
Advertisement
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #52
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
"Discuss"
Old 04-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #53
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
"Discuss"
You already commented in this thread the first time and didn't point it out.

Spoiler!
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #54
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

do we know what they are mislabeling them as? and what their definition of mislabeling is? maybe pink salmon mislabeled as coho? oh no.....
bbcbrbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #55
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Discus.
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #56
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
I'm in if you guy are in.

Let's do it.

I will need to get a rubber mallet.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #57
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Honestly, while reading, I was thinking, "oh god, they aren't using horse are they?"
what's wrong with horse meat?!

As for this news Im glad I didn't buy the tuna steaks at costco now might have ended up with a weekend on the crapper
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #58
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #59
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,129 Times in 7,144 Posts
"BULLSHIT ASSHOLE, NO ONE LIKES THE ESCOLAR HERE"
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #60
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
soon, our milk is not from cows.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #61
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

^^
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rat milk.jpg (14.5 KB, 0 views)
Retrac is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #62
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
that is fucking disgusting .... even from the simpsons

the 90's simpsons was whack but great at the same time

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #63
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW607 View Post