REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Having become a lot more knowledgeable with aviation lately due to getting my pilots lic., you all have to remember that aircraft have some of the strictest regulations of anything in the world. If China built this and only wanted to fly in China then sure, they won't have the same safety standards. However if they want to fly to North America this plane will be gone over by the FAA and Transport Canada thoroughly before they are allowed to fly in our skies.

I wouldn't feel any worse flying in one of these than many of the 40 year old aircraft that Horizon, Alaska, United etc. are still flying around.

p.s, whatever happened to hands and feet for flying. Looks like everything other than Boeing is going to this joystick control system.
Advertisement

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #27
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
p.s, whatever happened to hands and feet for flying. Looks like everything other than Boeing is going to this joystick control system.
I prefer flying with a stick over a yoke for the most part.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #28
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
^ With today's protection systems, there's no more cable controlling, all FBW. Check out airbus control laws, that shit is just .

China has been building planes for ages, heck they even stole plans to copy a 707 back in the 60s. With today's technology, I can't see why they can't build an airplane; they already sent people in the space .

Airplane QC takes at least 10 years to determine. The 777 had a 99% dispatch rate until one went down at LHR due to a RR fuel-oil filter. MD-11 are notorious to flip over due to their under-designed rudder during landing. MD80/90 and their uncontained engine failure that kills the person beside you? 737 rudder servo issues that took 7 years before an Airworthiness Directive was handed out to Boeing by the FAA. Heck, the 787 and the Li-ion batteries that are made in Japan have QC problems, luckily some engineer in Seattle had the brains to put a box around the battery to prevent flames from reaching the avionics bay.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you

Last edited by yray; 02-22-2013 at 06:25 PM.
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #29
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #30

^ JFK is the worst when it comes to ICAO official ATC terminology. ICAO develops idiot proof, but JFK ATC has to divert from it creating a clusterfuck. Most pilots from non English speaking country have trouble there, even american ones do.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #31
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
China has been building planes for ages, heck they even stole plans to copy a 707 back in the 60s. With today's technology, I can't see why they can't build an airplane; they already sent people in the space .

That's not reassuring at all...

The problem is that the engineering mastery of China is still not proven. They have been copying other designs and technology for decades with little understanding, subtle nuances they missed out while copy pasting their designs could lead to a disaster.

Not only that, but parts quality control would be a disaster, unless they import everything from all over the world.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #32

^ Japan did the same thing with cars. Did they have engineering mastery from the beginning or was it after years of copying that they gain the technical know how?

Quality control is not stuck at one point and can't be improved. Compare a Merc from the 90s and 00s, Merc had some amazing quality control in the 90s. QC in China has improved immensely if you take a look at the amount of products that are made in China. If their QC wasn't decent enough, your house would've been on fire already.

The amount you pay is what you get. Cheap shit= shit quality

Quote:

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #33
Need my Daily Fix of RS

It will work when the country as a whole wants to improve. Until then corruption is still rampant and all it takes is some money and greed to show the result.

Toppling buildings and trains flying off it tracks anyone?
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #34
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
pew pew pew boeing fighter!
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #35
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
nose of a 787... body of an A320/A319
Old 02-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #36
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
^ Japan did the same thing with cars. Did they have engineering mastery from the beginning or was it after years of copying that they gain the technical know how?

Quality control is not stuck at one point and can't be improved. Compare a Merc from the 90s and 00s, Merc had some amazing quality control in the 90s. QC in China has improved immensely if you take a look at the amount of products that are made in China. If their QC wasn't decent enough, your house would've been on fire already.

The amount you pay is what you get. Cheap shit= shit quality
Japan did copy, but not to the point like China.

The Datsun 240Z was a Jaguar Copy, Lexus LS was a Mercedes S copy, the '73 Celica was a Mustang copy, Mazda RX-7 was a Porsche 924 copy, FJ40 was a Jeep copy, and so on.

But the way Japan copied was they simply stole design cues.

Not like China how they would try to carbon copy BMW(like BYD) or how Geely copying Mercedes...or all the Corolla and CRV knock offs.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #37
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Thread title fixed to unfuck Timpo's Engrish.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #38
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
In related news, it has been announced the tv program Mayday will remain in production for the forseeable future.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #39
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E60_M5 View Post
I think we should be more open minded about these products made in China. A lot of Boeing and Airbus parts are currently made in China and even have assembly lines in China.

If you guys look at the mess Boeing is having with the 787, does that mean you wont board a Boeing plane as well?
For me, it's not the fact that it's made in china that bothers me. I have said this before - China has some of the brightest engineers, and a huge pool of resources to build amazing things. It's the management that's fucked up, and I wouldn't trust it for things like transportation.

If companies like Boeing or Airbus themselves want to do manufacturing in China, I'm all for it. But I wouldn't trust a grounds up operation until they have had at least a decade or two of relatively problem free operation.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #40
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Thread title fixed to unfuck Timpo's Engrish.
OWNED
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #41
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
^ With today's protection systems, there's no more cable controlling, all FBW. Check out airbus control laws, that shit is just .
Yeah, I was thoroughly impressed after reading into that, the comprehensiveness and level of redundancy is astonishing.

But I'm just speaking about light airplanes with good ol' fashioned cables or push-rods, all that I've ever flown!

Curious, what's your background? Engineer?
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #42
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
With all the cost-cutting *effort* that Chinese put into their manufacturing, there is not a chance I'd ever fly a Chinese-made plane no matter how many safety standard they pass.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #43
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60_M5 View Post
well then, u should look into not boarding some mcdonald douglas and airbus planes. they have / had assembly lines in china.
Posted via RS Mobile

The Airbus aircraft you speak of being assembled in China are built for the Chinese domestic market. In this case, the assembly of A320 aircraft takes place in China while the design phase is conducted by EADS in Europe.

With regards to the chinese developing their own aircrafts. I wouldn't be too worried about carriers other than chinese ones choosing to outfit their fleets with these. Not only do they have an unproven track record in terms of design and operational reliability, post purchase support for these aircraft with regards to parts and technical expertise is non-existant outside of China (important criteria considered by any large commercial airline before the acquisition of new aircraft)

For those referring to the 787 and its current set-backs, one must also consider that the technology being used is very new and that there is no precedent in terms full-scale composite fuselage designs in commercial applications. Also of importance is the way in which parts are manufactured and assembled for the 787. Instead of the conventional in house manufacturing process, many major components are manufactured around the world culminating with the final assembly in Everett. As with the development of any new technologies, certain kinks and anomalies will need to be ironed out. Necessary bumps in the road so to speak in order to achieve full operational maturity of the aircraft itself and of the assembly line. For example, airlines often report different efficiency ratings regarding fuel consumption for the same model aircraft, the difference being the ones that came off the assembly first usually havent had the luxury of being tuned with the updates made by the accumulation of flying hours that the later models come off the line with.

I personally look forward to my first experience aboard a 787!

Last edited by Infiniti; 02-23-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #44
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBishop View Post
I prefer flying with a stick over a yoke for the most part.
In what though? Are you a commercial transport pilot? I haven't had the chance to fly any type of tailwheel plane or anything (like a cub) but I imagine it would be much more fun that a Cessna 152.

I'm curious as to how an Airbus system works because it's offset a bit more like a computer joystick.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBishop View Post
Curious, what's your background? Engineer?
I read 744 and 777 manuals for fun when I was young understood Boeing, but not Airbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post

For those referring to the 787 and its current set-backs, one must also consider that the technology being used is very new and that there is no precedent in terms full-scale composite fuselage designs in commercial applications.
What are you talking about? It's held together by temporary fasteners and duct tape. .

It's amazing to see that the wing still maintains the same shape compared to the 777. Too bad Boeing didn't release the 757 wing load test, it went up to ~200%.

Quote:

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant

Last edited by yray; 02-23-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #46
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
Think about those international flights coming in from China and circling YVR for final approach. People in Richmond need to beware of falling parts from these planes
Special derively from homerand China LAAAAA!
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #47
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarobbt View Post
It will work when the country as a whole wants to improve. Until then corruption is still rampant and all it takes is some money and greed to show the result.

Toppling buildings and trains flying off it tracks anyone?
Yea, unfortunately china is kind of an inferior brand right now. They may be making great products, but until they produce quality products that they can have pride in, the Chinese products will always have that stigma.

Hell, even my parents even dont fully trust products made in China. It's going to take the government to crack down on corruption to get rid of this stigma.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #48
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
With all the cost-cutting *effort* that Chinese put into their manufacturing, there is not a chance I'd ever fly a Chinese-made plane no matter how many safety standard they pass.
This, there's been to many horror stories from cost cuttings that have tarnish the reputation of products coming out of china. And people will (rightly or wrongly) always associate them with that.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote