REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #26
I subscribe to Revscene

"I didn't see you or measure your speed, but you sounded" like you were speeding."

What's next, "Unicorns told me you were speeding"?
Advertisement

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #27
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
"I didn't see you or measure your speed, but you sounded" like you were speeding."

What's next, "Unicorns told me you were speeding"?
As if what the OP accurately described what happened or what the PO said. Just like every poster arguing that they were not speeding says, `i don`t know how fast i was going, but i KNOW i was not going a km over 50!`
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #28
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Stupidest ticket ever

When I was new to manual, I was driving along the Pacific that used to be part of the Indy track in first (because racecar)and the engine was screaming. A cop beside me looked at me funny before he passed me but I didn't get a ticket
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #29
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Old thread I know sorry to bump it up again, but got my letter saying when it was my court date today.

Long story short, its similar to this topic. Was cruising down on cambie with another buddies car in front of me who has a loud exhaust just past 49th and Langara. Shortly after behind me I saw lights and got pulled over. My buddy just continued driving off.

Cop gets out says, pulled you over because I had a phone call said you were racing on 49th and Langara. I didn't argue with him and just nodded. Keep in mind this was at 5 pm where there is traffic everywhere so no way I was speeding.

I honestly don't know why he gave me a ticket just cause he had a call from some random person that accused me and my buddy of speeding. The cop didn't radar me or anything. It was all just based on one call .....

How would I dispute this ticket .. would I have a chance ? Pretty much a "bystander" is always right ? who probably thinks there is a loud exhaust= racing is correct.? How would this play out? Anyone have tip or suggestions ?
ricecookerboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #30
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
It's pretty easy to dispute.

The officer did not witness you speeding (because you weren't). He was going on the word of some unknown person instead of his own. And factor in the traffic around the area, two cars going at a constant excess speed long enough for someone to call the cops, have an officer be dispatched, be in your area AND catch you in the act is impossible.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #31
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricecookerboi View Post
I honestly don't know why he gave me a ticket just cause he had a call from some random person that accused me and my buddy of speeding. The cop didn't radar me or anything. It was all just based on one call .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
It's pretty easy to dispute.

The officer did not witness you speeding (because you weren't). He was going on the word of some unknown person instead of his own. And factor in the traffic around the area, two cars going at a constant excess speed long enough for someone to call the cops, have an officer be dispatched, be in your area AND catch you in the act is impossible.
This. If you're telling the truth, all you have to do during the dispute is ask the Officer if he/she actually witnessed the offence taking place. The Officer will then say no. And the JP will either ask a few more questions or just throw it away. From personal experience, an Officer cannot give you a traffic ticket based on what someone else says, unless they have personally witnessed the offence during or after the fact (surveillance cameras, etc) what happened.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #32
I subscribe to Revscene

Chances are good that the guy who "saw you racing" won't want to be called into court to provide his side of the story.

Dispute, ask for the officer's evidence and notes and prepare your case.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #33
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Cop gets out says, pulled you over because I had a phone call said you were racing on 49th and Langara. I didn't argue with him and just nodded. Keep in mind this was at 5 pm where there is traffic everywhere so no way I was speeding.
Good thing you didn't argue or act like a dick about it - the officer probably has very little notes to make a case against you.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #34
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Yeah, I believe if you dispute it, the person who called it in has to actually appear in court to defend his accusations if the officer's ticket was handed out purely based on that person's call.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2015, 05:05 AM   #35
I bringith the lowerballerith

...unless before he pulled you over, he paced your vehicle (for any amount of time or distance) and found you were travelling over 50km/hr.... Then he has all the evidence he needs to convict for a speeding ticket.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2015, 07:44 AM   #36
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,315 Times in 370 Posts
since i started this thread, i should give you guys an update on what happened. (In my original post)

I disputed the ticket, and went to court, the cop was ruled not enough evidence and forced to drop the ticket.
jmanhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:05 AM   #37

Thanks guys really appreciate the insight !!,

Yeah so the cop I know for a fact was not trailing behind me what so ever. I clearly know that when i saw him in my rear view mirror I was pretty much stopped on all the red lights and in traffic during that time. Was just creeping and slowly moving. After a couple lights down from King Edward he decided to switch on his lights just before ( SOHO) the bubble tea joint on cambieand there I got pulled over.

I remember when he issued me the ticket I don't think he wrote a lot of notes. He gave me 138$ ticket which I think is a low amount for ( speeding in municipality)? and I just agreed and kinda made it seem like I would just pay the ticket, so I hope he didn't write much notes down at all or any at all.

When he pulled me over he said a bystander said someone with a black roof and a black trunk which was me , but in reality it was my buddie that had the loud exhaust. I just happened to trail behind him so I guess from a bystander point of view it may look like me but it wasn't..

What I'm worried about now, will he make me rat on my friend who has the loud exhaust ? are they able to do that ? what should I do if that does happen. I hate to rat on someone...

Man what kind of ticked me off he said " I don't know where your friend is but tell him he is lucky , I gotta give some one a ticket and it happens to be you " . I was like -__-.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:44 AM   #38
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
4000rpm in second is 50km/h on the nose. 4600rpm is 60km/h.

So if you were doing 4600rpm in second you were speeding.
Chances are you were past 4500rpm is they noticed the noise as that when the VANOS opens up and makes it sound like unicorns having sex. If that the case you were above 50km/h at 4500rpm.

If you were still in first you would have at 28km/h at 4000rpm and 35km/h at 4600rpm.
7000rpm in first is 50km/h.....so for you to even be speeding you would need to be in second.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #39
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanhas View Post
since i started this thread, i should give you guys an update on what happened. (In my original post)

I disputed the ticket, and went to court, the cop was ruled not enough evidence and forced to drop the ticket.
If they know they have too little evidence, why even bother with a charge/ticket? It's a waste of the cop's time, the court's time, your time and an overall net loss to society.

Any attempt at a cash grab.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #40
RS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks guys really appreciate the insight !!,

Yeah so the cop I know for a fact was not trailing behind me what so ever. I clearly know that when i saw him in my rear view mirror I was pretty much stopped on all the red lights and in traffic during that time. Was just creeping and slowly moving. After a couple lights down from King Edward he decided to switch on his lights just before ( SOHO) the bubble tea joint on cambieand there I got pulled over.

I remember when he issued me the ticket I don't think he wrote a lot of notes. He gave me 138$ ticket which I think is a low amount for ( speeding in municipality)? and I just agreed and kinda made it seem like I would just pay the ticket, so I hope he didn't write much notes down at all or any at all.

When he pulled me over he said a bystander said someone with a black roof and a black trunk which was me , but in reality it was my buddie that had the loud exhaust. I just happened to trail behind him so I guess from a bystander point of view it may look like me but it wasn't..

What I'm worried about now, will he make me rat on my friend who has the loud exhaust ? are they able to do that ? what should I do if that does happen. I hate to rat on someone...

Man what kind of ticked me off he said " I don't know where your friend is but tell him he is lucky , I gotta give some one a ticket and it happens to be you " . I was like -__-.
how do you know whether or not he wrote a lot a little, or any notes? the "notes" part of the VT is attached to his copy not yours... Also your " agreeing" with him will be in his "notes" for sure. Also, I don't know ANYONE who is innocent, who was accused of street racing, not speed, but STREET RACING, would nod their head up and down and agree with the officer, pretty much admitting fault. Unless you speak no English at all, and like to nod your head and smile.... Whether the cop saw you or not, you know what you did.

Lastly, you do realize just because you don't see a cop doesn't mean they don't see you. The time most people realize a cop is behind them or around them, it's pretty much too late.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #41
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
^^ I wish I could fail you in here.

It's a known fact that arguing with the officer at the side of the road is NOT going to get you out of a ticket. Say thank you, take the ticket and dispute it through the proper channels.

Come on man
Old 02-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #42
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
^^ I wish I could fail you in here.

It's a known fact that arguing with the officer at the side of the road is NOT going to get you out of a ticket. Say thank you, take the ticket and dispute it through the proper channels.

Come on man
This x100. What you say at the side of the road doesn't help your case at all and it is often way worse for you to try and start to argue with the cop.

Nodding your head, or just saying okay to the officer is not an admission of guilt. He probably just recognized that the officer was going to do whatever the fuck he wanted anyway, and decided to make it easy on all parties involved.

Even if you know the officer is wrong, arguing at the side of the road is something only an idiot would do, take the ticket, dispute it through the proper avenue.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #43
RS Veteran

There is a difference between arguing with the officer and disagreeing with him/her. You can tell the officer, "sorry but I really wasn't racing anyone"... obviously at one point or another every driver has gone over the speed limit so they cannot really argue the first tier speeding charge. But if to be accused of "street racing"... would you guys really nod your head and say ok, if you DIDN'T do it? I don't think you would. Strangers don't call 911 for traffic incidents "just cause". Chances are buddy boy was driving like, well, an idiot.. to get the attention of Joe Blow.

PS.. I am not saying disagreeing with the officer will get you out of a ticket.. I am saying that it boggles my mind that if you are accused of something that you didn't do, that you will nod your head and agree with him/her.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:14 PM   #44
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Chances are buddy boy was driving like, well, an idiot.. to get the attention of Joe Blow.
Maybe that was the PO's attitude when he spoke to the driver, regardless of whether he had the right car or the witness account was accurate. In which case, it's totally understandable why the driver would just "yes sir" the guy and deal with it in court. By not doing anything, he's not going to make things worse but by disagreeing, the PO might find other things to cite him for.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 02:15 PM   #45
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
I am saying that it boggles my mind that if you are accused of something that you didn't do, that you will nod your head and agree with him/her.
Its called being intimidated by authority. A lot of people get scared or nervous when they get pulled over even if they have done nothing wrong! They just say ok ok ok to get out of the situation because they are afraid of what might happen if they disagree. Its actually very common. Its only after you've had time to digest everything that you realize you should have explained yourself or maybe the officer was not in the right.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #46
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
Its called being intimidated by authority. A lot of people get scared or nervous when they get pulled over even if they have done nothing wrong! They just say ok ok ok to get out of the situation because they are afraid of what might happen if they disagree. Its actually very common. in the right.

Spoken like a happily married man! I'm a man and I can change if I have to I guess. (The Man's prayer...Red Green)
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #47

Quote:
how do you know whether or not he wrote a lot a little, or any notes? the "notes" part of the VT is attached to his copy not yours... Also your " agreeing" with him will be in his "notes" for sure. Also, I don't know ANYONE who is innocent, who was accused of street racing, not speed, but STREET RACING, would nod their head up and down and agree with the officer, pretty much admitting fault. Unless you speak no English at all, and like to nod your head and smile.... Whether the cop saw you or not, you know what you did.

Lastly, you do realize just because you don't see a cop doesn't mean they don't see you. The time most people realize a cop is behind them or around them, it's pretty much too late.

Spidey yeah I see what you mean, but I nodded and agreed with the officer regardless because if I disagreed it would just make the problem worse..... So just nod and be on my way kind of deal. Officer said "here is a ticket make sure you pay it by this date any problems call the number" etc. all I said was yes sir, yes sir.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:39 PM   #48

Quote:
There is a difference between arguing with the officer and disagreeing with him/her. You can tell the officer, "sorry but I really wasn't racing anyone"... obviously at one point or another every driver has gone over the speed limit so they cannot really argue the first tier speeding charge. But if to be accused of "street racing"... would you guys really nod your head and say ok, if you DIDN'T do it? I don't think you would. Strangers don't call 911 for traffic incidents "just cause". Chances are buddy boy was driving like, well, an idiot.. to get the attention of Joe Blow.

PS.. I am not saying disagreeing with the officer will get you out of a ticket.. I am saying that it boggles my mind that if you are accused of something that you didn't do, that you will nod your head and agree with him/her.

And no I don't see how I could of drove like an Idiot when there is traffic everywhere plus Traffic Lights. But regardless weather I got accused of something I didn't do I still will say, ok sir yes sir. I don't see the point in arguing, like ICEBOY said that just gives the P.O a reason to cite me on something else. But anyways We will see in court what happens.......
Old 02-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #49
RS Veteran

so, ricecookerboi, did you do it? I haven't once read you state "I didn't do it". All your responses are "I couldn't have because.... I don't see how I could have drove like an idiot when.....". Sounds like you either aren't aware of your own driving habits, or are using external factors to try minimize someone witnessing you committing the offence you were charged for.

I doubt you would say "ok ok yes sir" when you are completely innocent. Let's say you were waiting for the bus, and a cop comes up to you and says you are under arrest for robbing a bank... No one would say "ok ok yes sir". It is the natural reaction of anyone who is innocent of something to defend themselves from being wrongfully accused.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #50

Spidey, I don't think you understand what they are saying. If I was in his situation, I would just accept the ticket and move on. There's no need to play the innocent card in front of the PO, unless you want things to get out of hand. If you are innocent, let the court decide.
korroke is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: