REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Hot Air Balloon crash kills 19 tourists in Egypt

BBC News - Egypt: Balloon crashes near Luxor killing 19 tourists

Quote:
The governor of Luxor, Ezzat Saad, told the BBC he wanted to send his condolences to the families of those killed and injured.

"We have never seen anything quite like this in Luxor before. It is an awful thing," he said.

"For the safety of the tourists and the Egyptians I have ordered all the companies dealing with balloons to stop flights until we know exactly what happened and the reasons for it."

The balloon was on an early morning flight above the ancient temples of Luxor when it caught fire and exploded
The crash happened on one of the many dawn hot air balloon flights that give tourists an aerial view of Luxor's famous sites, such as Karnak temple and the royal tombs in the Valley of the Kings.

The balloon's operating company, Sky Cruise, said a gas cylinder exploded on board, bringing it down in sugar cane fields just west of Luxor.

Luxor has seen a drop in visitor numbers since the 2011 uprising
Cherry Tohamy's balloon was landing when she heard an explosion and saw flames from a balloon above.

"Our pilot told us that the balloon had hit a high pressure electrical cable and a cylinder on board exploded," said Ms Tohamy, an Egyptian living in Kuwait who was on holiday in Luxor.

"People were jumping out of the balloon from about the height of a seven-storey building."

Alaa Mahmoud, a sales manager for another local balloon company, Magic Horizon, told the Guardian newspaper that the accident happened as crews tried to anchor the balloon to the ground using ropes hanging from the basket. The ropes became entangled in the tubes leading to the gas cylinder and severed them, after which the gas was ignited, he added.

"The flames were so strong that the pilot and one guy jumped," he said. "When they jumped, the balloon lost balance and the balloon went up again."

An investigator with the state prosecutor's office also told the Associated Press that a landing cable had got caught around a helium tube.

Another witness, US photographer Christopher Michel said his balloon was just about to land when he "heard an explosion and saw smoke".

Eyewitness Christopher Michel: "We heard a loud explosion"
The area has been cordoned off by police and investigators are inspecting the charred remains of the balloon.

Egypt's civil aviation minister has reportedly flown to Luxor to head the investigation into the crash.

Hot air balloon crashes have happened in Luxor before. Two British women were among 16 injured when their balloon came down after hitting a communications tower in April 2009.

Balloons were grounded for six months after that crash while safety measures were tightened up and pilots re-trained.

But, says the BBC's Aleem Maqbool in Cairo, since the 2011 revolution that toppled President Hosni Mubarak, the rule of law is not being respected in many aspects of Egyptian life, so it has been difficult for the tourism ministry to impose its authority on sites like this.

Luxor, like many other parts of Egypt, has seen a sharp downturn in visitor numbers during the two years since the uprising.

What a way to go. I wonder if anyone got killed by the explosion, or if everyone just plummeted to their demise. RIP
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Shieet. That is scary. Serious question, I wonder if you would survive if you grabbed another individual, preferably larger than you, and used them as a landing? Then you'd roll or flip off, trying to divert some of the stress on yourself? (Sort of like how parkour people will do a side or flip after the landing from a large height)

Maybe jump out at the 3-4th story mark. There must be some research on this.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
There must be.

...because this sort of thing happens all the time.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
like a helicopter, i would never go on one, 1 thing wrong and you are fcked, even big plane can glide to the ground, yes they can still crash, but the chances or surviving by gliding in a plane rather then falling like a rock.

still very unfortunate that this happened
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
like a helicopter, i would never go on one, 1 thing wrong and you are fcked, even big plane can glide to the ground, yes they can still crash, but the chances or surviving by gliding in a plane rather then falling like a rock.

Just buy a parachute, carry it around when you fly. When trouble hits, say f'this, and jump.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
The chances of any aircraft crashing relative to the number of flights being made every day is tiny. There's really no need to worry about it.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post

The thing is... you don't fall like a rock when your engine stops in a hellicopter. If you didn't know, helicopters can actually glide like planes too (autorotation)

starts @ 1min-ish
double0seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Shieet. That is scary. Serious question, I wonder if you would survive if you grabbed another individual, preferably larger than you, and used them as a landing? Then you'd roll or flip off, trying to divert some of the stress on yourself? (Sort of like how parkour people will do a side or flip after the landing from a large height)

Maybe jump out at the 3-4th story mark. There must be some research on this.
This isn't a movie. You'd die.

The sudden deceleration isn't slowed down (much) by another body that's relatively solid. You'd also have a difficult time trying not to roll and break your neck/back at the same time.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
This isn't a movie. You'd die.

The sudden deceleration isn't slowed down (much) by another body that's relatively solid. You'd also have a difficult time trying not to roll and break your neck/back at the same time.
You could say Subordinate's theory is full of hot air

AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,104 Times in 974 Posts
Devastating news. RIP
tegra7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Footage of the balloon going down:

Old 02-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Very tragic

RIP
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

i just took a hot air balloon ride in turkey..the experience is surreal..no engines, just silence as you float
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #14
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
i heard there were 2 survivors; 1 seriously injured and 1 perfectly fine (according to cnn)

its scary how fast it deflated and crashed i had assumed that it was a slow descent crash

scary video

rip
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #15
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

...not what you think of when you see them piecefully in the syk.
mac25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:09 AM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
the lucky guy that jumped off the ballon ran 200meters and shouted "my wife is burning, my wife is burning up there"
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #17
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

never riding balloons anywhere..

RIP
aznb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #18
Doesn't know that condom-depot.com has free shipping

man, are airliner, helitours, hang gliding, hot air balloon companies all stupid? you would think they would have provided everyone with parachutes on board in this part of the trade just in case something goes wrong, at least the passengers would have a chance to survive rather then just sitting in one spot, or falling to their doom. Yes it will cost a lot more money and maybe training would be in need but, at the end, this is about peoples lives. They should put more effort into developing a safety slim chute or something people can just strap on quickly.
doritos is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #19
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
I wouldn't imagine that safety regulations in a country like Egypt are as strong as they are here. This is an example of how bad things can get.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #20
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doritos View Post
man, are airliner, helitours, hang gliding, hot air balloon companies all stupid? you would think they would have provided everyone with parachutes on board in this part of the trade just in case something goes wrong, at least the passengers would have a chance to survive rather then just sitting in one spot, or falling to their doom. Yes it will cost a lot more money and maybe training would be in need but, at the end, this is about peoples lives. They should put more effort into developing a safety slim chute or something people can just strap on quickly.
I'm not sure a parachute would do much good at 1000 feet. Anyone who went sky diving would know better I guess.
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
I wouldn't imagine that safety regulations in a country like Egypt are as strong as they are here. This is an example of how bad things can get.
bbc was saying that after the revolution that safety standards became non-existent for these tourists groups
Old 03-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #22
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
sad news indeed. The hong kong tourist were booked under the same company that was involved with the mass tour bus shooting in the Philippines a few years ago.

For Hong Kong News source, they said a few jumped out and was burning and asking for help but the local farmers all fled.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #23

the details still seem sketchy but from what ive read the pilot and the brit survivor jumped out very soon before the balloon shot up in the air

(sounds like the brit survivor fended for himself since his wife never made it out)

and when the balloon was 300ft up more people jumped but fell to their death