REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 02-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Avoiding holograms after polish

I am still failing to understand what creates those holograms in paint after polish. So I keep my pad as flat as possible, don't spin it too fast, moist surface and still get those. What causes it? Too much/little compound, or too much/little lube? What is it really and how to prevent it from happening?
Advertisement
mnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
An aside: can I hand remove those holograms with Scratch-x?
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

I'm assuming you are using a rotary buffer?

Try to go with the grain of the paint and not go against it. Unlike a random orbital, you can do north south, east west.

When you go against the grain of the paint, it's more likely to put swirls/holograms into the paint, or more likely to have the swirls you could potentially put into the paint, be seen.

Also,what I like to do is spray a bit of spray wax on the pad to moisturize it before adding any compounds or polishes.

Watch out for how much pressure you are putting and how fast you are moving the buffer as well.

Hope this helps!
AYAutocare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

There are a few things that will cause holograms when polishing...

- Using an abrasive product to remove scratches and not following up with a finishing polish
- Using too high a speed
- Using an overly aggressive polishing medium i.e. wool pad vs foam
- Not keeping the polishing pad parallel to the paint surface. Tilting the pad slightly can cause holograms when using a rotary.
-Even pressure, consistent arm movements and proper pad/polish choice are essential to being successful with a rotary. Depending on the paint type, some cars are damn near impossible to finish down perfectly with the rotary because of how soft the paint is. Subaru, Infinity and Porsche tend to fall into this category. It takes years of practice to get perfect results with a rotary. For enthusiasts, a dual action polisher like the Porter Cable, Griots or the new Rupes are a way better choice. Almost impossible to produce holograms under any conditions.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: