REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #76
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
'nough said

Advertisement
Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #77
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 2,115 Times in 422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
also watch who you hangout with . those you see on a daily basis ...remember you are a sponge and you will soak up all their tendencies and nuances.

[i know its getting choppy here, but my thoughts are kind of all over the place]
if there is one thing that is underrated, talk talk talk talk.

communication skills are very key. be it body language, spoken, and the aura you give off.
you want to be able to convey what you are thinking clearly, efficiently, eloquently to those around you. this is how youll be succesful in post-seconary (and in life). this is where you can really hone your thinking process, which is really underrated. this is how you will meet the people who will mentor you and bring you to where u want to be

theres a million mental midgets out there, they go on a first date with a girl (or any social outting), and yet they are glued to their phones because they cant carry on a decent conversation. nor can they connect the logical dots between any idea. they have the mental capacities of hamsters, and there is a little wheel that spins at 1rpm in their heads. do not be that guy.
Quoted for truth. I spent the last two years completely revamping the way I lived and who I really am. Sounds goofy as shit, but after watching those "Simple Pickup" videos on youtube a couple years back, I knew I had to become way more confident and outgoing. Society has become so messed up that there are so many who can't carry out a conversation during dinner, and just browse twitter on their "dates". Charisma, confidence, sense of humor and just overall "likeability" are traits of what make people successful. Like you mentioned, "communication skills are very key. be it body language, spoken, and the aura you give off." Its what gets jobs and gets the punani.

edit: My grad year has been very yolo-eque lmfao. Love the school I go to and the people in it. Just been trying to enjoy, party, and bullshit the last years of teenageness.

Last edited by TopsyCrett; 02-28-2013 at 09:05 PM.
TopsyCrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #78
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Go work the rigs, make some money, think and contemplate, buy a nice truck/car, buy a house, then think about what it is you want to do.

If I could go back and do things over again this is the route i would go. I was lucky and found what I wanted to do early on but for most people they have no idea what they wanna do. Going to school right away is silly imo.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
HOW DID YOU GET A JOB AT A CALL CENTER WTF. I bet the pay is better than min wage. Find your passion and decide promptlyssince it's your final year in secondary, but also venture into adulthood.
Posted via RS Mobile
lol its a min. wage job and it's basically just taking customer orders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianhay View Post
...for Marketing program at Kwantlen, and I would highly recommend it if you're at all into the design aspect of marketing/advertising. I'll be going into my fourth year next semester, and have already worked in a marketing agency downtown and will be working at another design studio this summer.
I'm not exactly the best at photoshop, but I've used it before and I'm really into photography. Sounds like an awesome job though! I used to be really into creating graphic art in programs like photoshop and simple HTML coding during the early years of highschool. Ventured out into automotive photography in the last two years.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #80
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
OP do you know what you really want?

Marketing/advertising, sales perhaps?
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #81

^ Hopefully to work in that field! Maybe work at a Marketing firm... or in a bigger company like bestbuy, electronic arts etc... Or maybe even eventually start my own Marketing/Advertising firm. Dreams! lol.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #82
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
Well I'm in my first year as a highschool grad/freshman at SFU. I kinda regret taking the typical path or full load of classes, working, living up to expectations. I turned down all these other opportunities because I thought like it wouldn't help me in the future if I went to film school or played on a varsity team at a ju co. Live your life while your young, do what you want to do - not in a destructive drug and alcohol rampage but enjoy life, we have plenty of time to plan out our lives when the time comes.
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #83
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I got to travel Europe during my senior year at high school so I got that out of my system before graduating. I ended up getting a scholarship to Capilano University and spent a year there doing their film program (biggest waste of my time - I already had the knowledge and experience from during high school, but I needed that stupid piece of paper to do a couple jobs). I ended up going into film work afterwards, but quit after a couple years. Too many politics and whatnot ruined the experience for me. After that I started working a couple of different jobs outside of my field of study, though recently I've been going back to school for mechanical engineering. I genuinely don't know if I'll enjoy doing it as a job, but at the same time it's an opportunity to have a decent pay cheque. At the end of the day I still have my film knowledge to fall back on. I still do it once in a while. However, even though I love doing it, making an enjoyable hobby into your career is a great way to kill your passion for it.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #84

Thanked 1,089 Times in 114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
beginning of grade 12 till halfway through the first uni semester were the best days of my life lol

brb fuck around in class with your buddies / skip every other day
brb drink a lot blaze a lot
brb you and your buddies got your N's no more taking the bus
brb NOT A CARE IN THE WORLD during your summer break before uni
brb you're grade 12 so you can mack on LG's easy
brb brb
dealt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #85
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I'm probably on the older side of the RS average and let me tell you that if you take up a job for the money alone, you will be in so much trouble.

I took school and more school and more school and I really had the focus of taking whatever I needed to take in order to make money.

Of course, the reality is that you need money to live and we all want nice things. Just focus on what makes you happy and thats what counts. I'm not going to say if you focus on what makes you happy, you'll eventually make a lot of money.

A lot of people say that and I believe that's total BS. What I can say for sure is that if you take a job or career that you love - even if you don't get paid that well, you'll be better off.

I've had some very high profile jobs and it was very stressful, I was unhappy, and I have nothing to show for it anyway so I may as well have been broke to begin with!

One thing I will suggest is not to take a year off school. You can enroll part time the following September and that's cool but it's too easy to fall into the money trap.

If your friends are going to school and are broke, and you get a job paying $20 per hour, you'll feel like you're 'ahead' of your friends. You'll have money to finance a new car and always be able to go out with friends etc. It's very easy to get caught up in that and it's very hard to walk away from that back to a student lifestyle with limited money.

Life is all about momentum (object in motion stays in motion). You'll find that post secondary can be a lot of fun and it's a time where you get to explore so much about yourself and others.
Marco.911 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #86
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
I didn't take a year off after highschool (grad '02). went straight to post-secondary, then straight to work.
I don't regret a single thing.. i'm doing something i love making a decent wage. some of my friends just recently finished a bachelors, and still don't have concrete plans.

It's easy to say, 'just do what you love', or 'its ok to just travel and play video games for a while', but you have to realize that if you make that choice, you have to be fine with the consequences.

If that's enough to keep you happy, then that's great! But you can never complain about not having that car, or not being able to afford that house, or not being able to give your kids/parents certain things

edit: although we all know, life experiences > *
Old 03-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #87
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Go work the rigs, make some money, think and contemplate, buy a nice truck/car, buy a house, then think about what it is you want to do.

If I could go back and do things over again this is the route i would go. I was lucky and found what I wanted to do early on but for most people they have no idea what they wanna do. Going to school right away is silly imo.
This advice is crap. Go break your back doing grunt work straight out of high school just so you can buy some shit? Buy a new car? That's the stupidest thing to do. Buy a house? Ridiculous!

My advice is go travel. See other cultures. Learn what life is all about. Learn to put value on experiences and people, not material things.
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #88
nma
#RVG

you're all stupid my advice is the best!! lol jesus, people really need to learn to respect other people's opinions..

Then again, it's revscene
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #89
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopsyCrett View Post
Quoted for truth. I spent the last two years completely revamping the way I lived and who I really am. Sounds goofy as shit, but after watching those "Simple Pickup" videos on youtube a couple years back, I knew I had to become way more confident and outgoing. Society has become so messed up that there are so many who can't carry out a conversation during dinner, and just browse twitter on their "dates". Charisma, confidence, sense of humor and just overall "likeability" are traits of what make people successful. Like you mentioned, "communication skills are very key. be it body language, spoken, and the aura you give off." Its what gets jobs and gets the punani.

edit: My grad year has been very yolo-eque lmfao. Love the school I go to and the people in it. Just been trying to enjoy, party, and bullshit the last years of teenageness.
just simply being confident and outgoing will get you really far in life
confidence is a self fulfilling prophecy in just about any aspect of life

be it girls, cars, education

having that positive outlook will just let things fall in place so much easier

and pickup is hillarious. try that shit in the clubs with randoms when you are old enough. it only gets better

keep pushing your boundaries and keep the adventures rolling
thats what seperates you and Bob in the back off the office cubicle who has been working there for 30 years and still lives with his parents

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #90
Princess Dewey

Take a year off, I didn't and if I could i would. I started post secondary in grade 11 and it was worth it but very stressful. now I'm 19 and I will be finished my red seal and trades diploma in may but in something I'm not sure I want to do anymore. I applied for Automotive tech and got accepted right away only to change my mind again. Now I'm contemplating doing a degree in management on the terms that my diploma buys me 2 years credit towards the program and I'm still unsure if I will be satisfied with that but I have to keep guessing till I find what feels right which to me is better than forcing what doesn't feel right.
[05-03, 17:18] MPTness
if her age on the clock, she's too young for a cock

[12-03, 22:33] Amuro Ray
i was wearing women's clothing in my picture

[14-04, 00:16] Amuro Ray
i have hello kitty underwear

[14-04, 00:23] Amuro Ray
i find feet sexually exciting

[29-04, 00:21] Ri2
if i was a guy i'd just ejaculate on her face all up in her nose, mark yo territory like a beast

[14-05, 23:29] Ri2
i just watched japanese girls poop on each other for like 10 mins
smarv is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #91
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #92
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nma View Post
The amount of advice on this thread is overwhelming lmao...
life isn't simple bro
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #93
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
this is basically same thing that I posted on the first page! lol
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #94
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
passion is key dawg; do what you do with passion, and you'll never want to stop
it'll keep you rolling, so forget about the materialistic bs

money's still important tho lol
Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #95
My homepage has been set to RS

Its all about experience. Try everything once. Keep an open mind and explore as much as you can while your young.. but remember you need a balance!

Like they say you live only once, keep in mind and think about what you want in the future and how your going to achieve that. At the same time enjoy what you have now and dont be afriad to take a year or go on that vacation with your friends. I promise you will never regret a solid trip with your buddies, while your young!

Choosing your career ain't gonna happen in a few days or even months. I've changed careers multiple times from chef -> restaurant management -> hotel management -> banking -> Electrician.. I still don't know if this is the right path!
Even though I know I should be settling in soon, I don't regret changing so many times. Change doesn't scare me at all, its the thought have doing something for however many years and then realizing that isn't what I want to do...

Just remember this; keep pushing forward, don't regret your decisions, and don't settle for anything less then what you want.
(We all make poor decisions, its part of gaining that experience)
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #96
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPoola View Post
This advice is crap. Go break your back doing grunt work straight out of high school just so you can buy some shit? Buy a new car? That's the stupidest thing to do. Buy a house? Ridiculous!

My advice is go travel. See other cultures. Learn what life is all about. Learn to put value on experiences and people, not material things.
But of course you expect to get everything handed to you on a silver platter and not have to work hard for anything right?

I suggested buying material things (well you're gonna need a truck to get to and from the rigs so it's a necessity) and buying a house is a smart investment. Nothing is forcing you on spending your money this way, most of my friends who are doing the rigs are buying a house, have a nice car, and are travelling right now due to the shut downs.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #97
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Many people who are in highschool or just graduating are so worried about "what do I want to do".

When I was graduating, all I knew was I wanted to go into Arts, because I didn't like academic stuff, and always got bad grades from my lack of trying / not very smart lol. I went to Emily Carr, and finished the first year.

It wasn't until SECOND YEAR of university that I found my true passion; 3D Modeling/Animation/Art. Prior to second year of Emily Carr, that field never even entered my mind. I didn't even know you can take courses for it. (partly because I never thought much of it).

After graduating, I found a job at a animation studio doing what I love to do. And on the side I taught 3D art to other students (kinda like a tutor) for extra income.

A year later I quit that animation job to pursue teaching/tutoring 3D art.

I now tell all of my highschool students not to over think and worry about their University courses. Take whatever they have interest in, and simply change if they find something else. There is no rush. Its not a race.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #98
SiRVs up, dude

Lots of good advice here, but also a lot of bad stuff I'd never recommend. Didn't get a chance to read all the stuff, so hopefully I'm not repeating someone else's experience.

I also went straight from HS into University and I would not have done it any other way. I switched through three programs in total, two being smaller professional programs, and took around 8 years to finish, but my god what a ride it was. Don't be fooled into thinking that going to school means a dead social life, it's the total opposite especially if you end up getting into a smaller program (i.e. accounting, pharmacy, law, med etc.).

I had a few friends that did the 'take a year off thing', most of them ended up playing video games at home, travelling a little bit, working dead end jobs that at the time seemed to pay pretty good ($15-20/hour) and clubbing/partying. At the end of the year they were, for the most part, the same person. These guys mostly ended up taking 2-3 courses per term at Langara/Kwantlen, and they still are chugging away at it 8-9 years later with no real end in sight. I think the momentum from HS building up to post-secondary completely died with the year off.

I say if you want to travel, grow up or whatever, do the 8 months right after high school at a post-secondary institution. If the typical post-secondary 4 months of holiday [May-August] isn't enough for you to relax, then take the following year off, at least that way you have:
- been able to say you tried post-sec and didn't like it
- been with some of your friends that are going to the same institution
- been able to build on your social circle***
Old 03-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #99
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

It makes me laugh that people automatically associate high incomes with retarded money management. As if every guy making 500K a year is blowing it on coke and cars.

I guess people need a way to justify why they chose their own lower income, more lifestyle balanced paths...
MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #100
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,967 Times in 290 Posts
My advice to you is, do something that your passionate about and not listen to anyone else and what they think. I had to learn this the hard way going into the healthcare field.. after a while i switch paths into something more computer related ( after wasted a lot of time and money ).

Remember your still young.. so dont forget to live it up a little. I mean when are you ever going to find yourself having this much freedom with minimal responsibility?

UNCE UNCE UNCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
Comparing A&B with deadmau5? Really? I should fucking slap you

2007 Acura TL
2005 Acura TL....RIP
2003 Honda Accord Coupe V6....RIP
tonyvu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: