REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #51
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
I went to college right after HS, I wish I didn't, biggest waste of money ever. I wasn't sure about my career choice and it has stung me ever since. My biggest suggestion is enjoy your life after HS and make sure what you want to do is actually what you want to do. For example, asking others who work in your field of interest about their careers. Remember your only 19 (or 18?). You have plenty of life ahead of you. Schooling is an option that is always available.
Advertisement
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #52
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
^ Yea, taking a year off > wasting time/money/energy doing random crap at school
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #53
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
the hard part is finding what you like
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #54
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
HOW DID YOU GET A JOB AT A CALL CENTER WTF. I bet the pay is better than min wage. Find your passion and decide promptlyssince it's your final year in secondary, but also venture into adulthood.
Posted via RS Mobile
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #55
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
I decided to go back to school right after high school. I wanted to get into BCIT's automotive program but ultimately decided against it after careful consideration. Although I am a very passionate automotive enthusiast, I want a career that can support my numerous costly hobbies, not career that IS my hobby, but not necessarily make a decent income.

There are some who are sure of what they want, and others who don't. I was one of those who knew what I wanted right out of high school and decided to follow it. Getting into politics and/or law are my final goals, so UBC was the school for me.

Though, I will admit that I should've taken a year off to work and travel...
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #56
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I dont necessarily LOVE my work but I do enjoy and it is fulfilling. I needed higher education to get to where I am today.

What I regret is taking one year off to work and "find myself" which never really came. Just lit a fire under my ass to get school done with.
Isaiah11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #57
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
I went right into University after high school. I think I thought your were just supposed to, so I did. But if I were to think it through, I think taking a year off at least is a better call, unless you REALLY know what you want to pursue.

What was useful about University for me was that I found what I DIDN'T want to do, which is equally useful. I was able to try things that interested me, and found out I didn't want to pursue them. For example, I kept my options open in high school to pursue Sciences; while finding them really cool, I didn't feel the drive to pursue them.

What I will say about post-secondary is this: if an exchange program is offered, DO IT. Get away from here. Live abroad. Experience life from the point of view of another country. It will shape you into a much better person. I lived in Paris for a year, and turned 21 there. Best year of my life, and I made friends all over the world who I still stay in touch with.

Can't say I'm using my degree now, though I'm beginning to succeed at my dream, after taking this long to hone in. I may not make as much as others my age (30), but I'm really happy doing what I do, and I know I'm good at it.

And that's satisfying. but it took a decade of discovery and exploration to find it. You might be luckier and find out much sooner, but I have no regrets, because I have a life full of one of a kind experiences.
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #58
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Its been 4 years since i graduated hs and in that time i sat on my ass for 1 year after graduating, then went to vcc for a year, then worked in a vegetable plant for 1 year, and now working in a body shop. I'm now deciding whether i want to pursue a career in auto body or go back to school for computer programming. If i were to do it again, i wouldve just went straight to uni after hs. But you have plenty of time to decide, i know a couple guys from hs that still havent done shit!
lowda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #59
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopsyCrett View Post
As my high school journey is coming to an end... All I can seem to think about is what life is going to be like after high school. I've completed all applications for the local universities I would like to go to (SFU, Kwantlen.. and Douglas College just in case lol.), and I feel that I am set in the Business field (More specifically Marketing... or advertising.) I felt I was a lazy shit that just went to school, went to the gym, worked on my car, and browse twitter & car forums... so I got a part-time job at a call center as a Customer service representative at Panago Pizza to start putting on my "big boy pants".

I just feel some anxiety through the fact that it seems like whatever I choose now will effect the rest of my life... like what if I'm not down for the business field in 5 years? then what? Even though I feel Marketing and advertising is something I am passionate about, other than cars of course.. I feel some uncertainty as to that is exactly what I want to do the rest of my life!

So I ask you Revscene... I know most of you are older than me, and there are members here I know have been through a lot and have much more under their belt than I. So I ask,

What were you guys like when you were in your senior year? What route did you take post-secondary/high school? What inspired you to choose the profession/route/job you took?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post

Idk what to do ether, maybe probably going to head to arts at SFU or UBC and internal transfer somewhere?
I have no clue what to do either

Can't get into UBC or SFU cause of low-ish marks

Original plan was to go to BCIT for Auto Tech but I like cars and working on them but i dont want to do that every single day.

Now plan is to go into Langara for business with 2 of my best buddies then transfer to UBC/SFU. Not sure if this is the best idea because as most people say HS friends will slowly lose connection in post-secondary. Don't want to be stranded alone in business
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #60
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
You won't be stranded alone in business if you don't want to be. You'll have so many classmates just start making friends.

Plus business usually has networking and like events involved so there's your chance.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #61
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Some of the advices I see here scare me.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #62
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
those who are having troubles dealing with post secondary and what to do with life, PM me, i had the honour of being taught by the BEST teacher IMO and he has sent my set in particular a slide that is exactly how OP is feeling and how to respond to it
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #63
nma
#RVG

The amount of advice on this thread is overwhelming lmao... If OP was ever unsure of what to do before, all this thread did was deep him a bigger hole... hahahaha

Honestly dude you have to read each of these comments with a grain of salt. Everyone has different personalities, capabilities, etc...

Based on your description of yourself, I would strongly recommend you go to post secondary right out of high school. It is VERY difficult to get motivated in school when you've done jack shit for a year or two. Second, relax... Enjoy the university life... Go to a few parties, meet some new people, take some courses you'd never normally consider. The great thing about university is you have to take electives in your first years that are credible towards any degree. Take some courses, see what you like. Make sure to only take like 2-4 courses in your first semester just to make sure you have the hang of it. Doing bad can cause you to have a shitty attitude towards post-secondary education and may hurt you further down the road. Also, make sure you start trying right away. Even though it seems like grades don't matter anymore, they sure will when you decide having a bachelors degree doesn't cut it anymore.

Even though traveling seems appealing, it is probably not the best option. You will have a lot of time after you graduate to choose whichever path you think is best for you, and that will include time for traveling. Regardless, just relax and enjoy the best years of your life.. (That's what most people say anyways)

Last edited by nma; 02-28-2013 at 05:49 PM.
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #64
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin7352 View Post
Thats inspirational and all but I just wish someone told me one thing back when I was in high school. Capitalize on all those girls who are down to f. Thinking back.. man.. so many of them.. and what did I place too much value on? Hanging with the boys.. so many wasted opportunities.. what an idiot!

For the record, no post secondary, make a good wage, essentially pick my own hours. Have a nice home, beautiful wife and children. I'm a happy camper and don't think there is one right path to take. Everyone is different, do what feels right for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Thats inspirational and all but I just wish someone told me one thing back when I was in high school. Capitalize on all those girls who are down to f. Thinking back.. man.. so many of them.. and what did I place too much value on? Hanging with the boys.. so many wasted opportunities.. what an idiot!

For the record, no post secondary, make a good wage, essentially pick my own hours. Have a nice home, beautiful wife and children. I'm a happy camper and don't think there is one right path to take. Everyone is different, do what feels right for you.
girls girls girls
i think master roshi also echoed these sentiments
but yes capitalize!

one of the greatest parts about high school and post secondary is the amount of females surrounding you....and at such a curious age

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #66
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
do what makes you happy. fuck what anyone else says.
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #67
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
be like strykn, become a day trader and get jacked

/mirin
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #68
I STILL don't get it

Life after high school is mostly about sitting around at your parent's house, and when they get annoyed, you go to the park. Oh yeah, and you hang out with the rest of your buddies who don't have a job or school to go to.
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #69
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:

THIS!! story of my life
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #70
I STILL don't get it

^the grass is always greener on the other side
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #71
J.C

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
Quote:

Still in high school
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #72
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Then take my advice and get 'er done. Pun intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #73
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

after highschool i decided to just work and make some money.. when i turned 20 i decided i wanted to be an autobody tech so i went to vcc and did their 8 month program. After that i got into a bodyshop working as a detailer to start and realized that body techs dont make much money for the work they do. i ended up getting out of detail and working in the parts department then i got a few promotions along the way and three years later im an estimator at the body shop. i dont mind my job its pretty slack and the money is awesome.
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #74
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #75
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 2,115 Times in 422 Posts
I would like to thank you all for your responses! holy shit...

I'm not exactly the richest guy, just a kid living in Coquitlam in your typical middle class family. Money isn't a huge issue - but prices for University tuition are pretty absurd! Whatever money I would use for travelling I usually put into my car or save up haha. However I've been travelling to different Countries... and different states throughout high-school during summer vacation, and in Oct 2012 I spent some time in San-Fran. I know travelling with family isn't exactly the same, but I spent quite a lot of time on my own during these vacations! Doing some travelling this summer as well.

As mentioned, it is true to take each piece of advice with a grain of salt. I realize everyone here is different but I was just curious to what some people have opted for after HS. Some of your responses have sparked some serious interest for me! As for grades, I'm doing my best! really stepped it up this year to open more doors in the future - however I didn't take Chemistry or Physics this year because I knew it just wasn't me. I took more business related courses, such as a business math, and entrepreneurship. I took courses like Social justice and Law because I'm also interested in becoming involved in the Police force. As mentioned by LP700-4, I too didn't want to let my hobby become my job. I just couldn't see myself turning wrenches for the rest of my life.

As for being "Social" and "Out going" after University - I couldn't agree more. There are so many opportunities and relationships to be embraced that I have made my self as outgoing and social as possible. I never really was the shy kid that was insecure as fuck throughout highschool. I fuckin love wheeling girls hahahahahahaha.

I feel really secure knowing that people have completely changed their degree / choices in university down the road. Thanks a lot guys, you have know idea how helpful you guys have been. I'll try and reply more specifically to some responses as I read over the thread again.

Last edited by TopsyCrett; 02-28-2013 at 09:01 PM.
TopsyCrett is offline   Reply With Quote