REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 03-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Good exhaust shop?

Im looking for a shop to install my exhaust for a reasonable price.

Key points are I need a shop that is going to do a great job, and not have leaky welds, rattles, exhaust tip not aligned etc.

I would do it myself but I need a resonator welded in so id rather just take it in and get it all done at once.

I have bought a pre-bent exhaust for my car, plus the resonator and muffler and tip so its just a matter of putting it all together. Probably some tweaks and cuts to make it fit just right.

I have had some work done by Evolution and all be it they do amazing work its a little pricey for what im doing. Plus last I talked to Kevin he wasn't to into doing a aluminized exhaust.

I live in the Metrotown area so around that area would be great.

Basically looking for a shop that cares about the work going out so I dont have to be annoyed after the fact.

Thanks..
Advertisement
Triballurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Search box shows 5 threads about recommended exhaust shops check them and call the shops for quotes.
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

muffler man
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
muffler man is cheap but the work could be better, depends how nice you want it done.

Speed syndicate is good but not cheap, $95 an hour, charged me 3 hours to put on cat back, make 1 shortening cut, reweld that section and one additional structure weld.
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Triballurker "amazing work its a little pricey"

AVS Racing "cheap but the work could be better"
"good but not cheap"

Hmm...I notice a common theme here. I have never seen nice exhaust work for cheap, although I am very picky. I have however seen good work that is expensive and bad work that is expensive.

The only way you will get good, less-expensive work is a private guy without shop rates. Also it's almost easier to make an exhaust from scratch then have a customer bring in something that needs a few "tweaks and cuts" That is if you don't want cheated bends etc

If a shop charges $100 an hour find a backyard guy with references and offer him $30-50. Hes making money, you're saving money.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
Triballurker "amazing work its a little pricey"

AVS Racing "cheap but the work could be better"
"good but not cheap"

Hmm...I notice a common theme here. I have never seen nice exhaust work for cheap, although I am very picky. I have however seen good work that is expensive and bad work that is expensive.

The only way you will get good, less-expensive work is a private guy without shop rates. Also it's almost easier to make an exhaust from scratch then have a customer bring in something that needs a few "tweaks and cuts" That is if you don't want cheated bends etc

If a shop charges $100 an hour find a backyard guy with references and offer him $30-50. Hes making money, you're saving money.
I dont mind paying for good work, but there is a line where its just too much for a basic exhaust on a dd.

Put it this way I expect to pay $2-300 but when your getting up above that its a little ridiculous considering it can be welded up easy with a mig. If I was doing a full ss catback id expect the high cost since it takes skill and a tig. Not to mention on my car the exhaust removal takes about 15 min at most.

When I say tweaks.....I bought a prebent mandrel exhaust for my car. So in essence it should fit. But things like the tailpipe might be to long for where I want the tip to sit etc.

When you say Muffler man isnt great..whats the issue with his work?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:34 AM   #7
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 2,028 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triballurker View Post
I dont mind paying for good work, but there is a line where its just too much for a basic exhaust on a dd.

Put it this way I expect to pay $2-300 but when your getting up above that its a little ridiculous considering it can be welded up easy with a mig. If I was doing a full ss catback id expect the high cost since it takes skill and a tig. Not to mention on my car the exhaust removal takes about 15 min at most.

When I say tweaks.....I bought a prebent mandrel exhaust for my car. So in essence it should fit. But things like the tailpipe might be to long for where I want the tip to sit etc.

When you say Muffler man isnt great..whats the issue with his work?
the issue with their work is that its done quickly and may be all fine the second your pulling out. but in most cases ive noticed that anyone that gets work there will have to return to fix a rattle/ poor weld.(which the do no problem from what i hear.)

its cheaper because they get more customers through quickly.
Nicotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #8

Its all good.

I went to Evolution in Maple Ridge.

Kevin did a great job and gave me a more then fair price. When I ever need work ill be going back there. Its worth the drive.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
I am Hook'd on RS

Good to know, i have been into muffler man, quiet muffler, and applo muffler all on Kingsway,, I have never satisfied with them,,, Appllo muffler did poor welding leaking and bending pipe,,, quiet muffler bad of alining,, muffler man, did so quick, cop cop my expensive exhaust(HKS),,too short,rushing,,,they want me to come back to redo the fitting,, due they will loosing customer, if they had to finish my car.

I will try EVolution someday,,,
cohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Do any of the above shops do the "angled" style of welding the muffler on? I just bought a N1 style muffler and wanted to do this.
Vigorous is offline   Reply With Quote