REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Premier's deputy chief of staff resigns over leaked memo, Christy Clark next?

Has anyone else been following the shitstorm this week from the memo the NDP obtained outlining the Liberal's plans to suck up to Chinese people by apologizing for the head tax and use taxpayer money to try to buy the non-white vote? All over concern that the NDP communicates with ethnic folks better and they had to "catch up".

One person involved just resigned: B.C. Premier

So the NDP wins in in the spring, huh?
Advertisement
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Looks like it,

Christy is just one gong show after another.

"Leaked" lol, I wonder if someone within leaked it to get Christy out already.

Too bad people were too pissed over the HST implementation to realize that Gordon Campbell was the better of the evils.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
to be honest who ever wins there is going to tax hikes. I see no winners here.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Green party will win
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
yeah ive been following all the shit that Christy has been trying to pull heck even the Conservatives on the national front

and its mind boggling to me that Canadians/British Columbians aren't up in arms calling for a revolution (europeans/middle-easterns/asians rise up and demonstrate/riot over far, far less)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
yeah ive been following all the shit that Christy has been trying to pull heck even the Conservatives on the national front

and its mind boggling to me that Canadians/British Columbians aren't up in arms calling for a revolution (europeans/middle-easterns/asians rise up and demonstrate/riot over far, far less)
Because, unlike the HST issue, things like this aren't affecting us on a daily basis in a manner we're able to see.

It's how people in BC are, though. You can play the Game of Thrones behind the scenes as much as you want, but don't you fucking dare add a two cent tax to my coffee!

Edit: Yes, I'm still bitter over the fact that the BC population decided to be idiots and repeal the HST.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
2-Wheelin' Mod

Revolution for what? Our standard of living is sufficient. Europeans revolt because their governments are forced by the EU to reign in horrifically unsustainable spending practices... I have lived in Europe and have spent enough time in the Middle East to understand that all things considered, we have it pretty good...
Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #8

and that's the exact problem

"ah im happy i don't care about all the bullshit, butt raping that im getting" but its not like everyone in the country is getting those same standards either like those further in the interior and North

things could be far far better in terms of our standards of living if we held these people we appointed to account

its not like our standards are good or even better when compared to other countries; citizens of many european/middle eastern/asian countries have it better and imo that's because their citizens don't take crap and say its good

to add the governments (prov/national) have been and are trying to lessen our standards saying it's unsustainable/inconceivable (legal aid, affordable housing, health care)

edit: and firing the deputy and acting like she had nothing to do with it is CLASSIC Christy Clark just like how she knew nothing about her Husbands criminal activities

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-01-2013 at 08:01 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

all govt. are fucked...One way or another..
Posted via RS Mobile
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
I thought Dianne Watts was involved in this. Metro paper had up front. Unless I was too sleepy to recognize Dianne from Christy

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I'm pretty disappointed. I usually fall in the conservative side of the liberal party. I'd happily vote liberal, and feel good about it knowing that you get a pretty solid middle performer. This is both BC and federal. You get a touch of the tree hugging, and a touch of the small c conservatism.

I've watched the federal party implode.

I'm watching the provincial party implode.

Yes, I know one is not linked to the other.

That means, here provincially, the NDP are going to come to power, and in a big way I assume. It's their election to lose. Notice how they are currently shutting the fuck up? Not by accident.

The current liberals may have done some creative accounting to have a balanced budget..I'd like to see how creative the accounting needs to get to have the same thing next election. The NDP came to power in NS for the first time last election...and are just killing whats left of the province. Handouts, and deals and incentive's to industry. It's insane. None of the deals have actually worked the way they are supposed to.

I call it today, in 4 years...1.5 b plus deficit spending in BC after a 4 year term of NDP.

I want one, decent, middle of the road party that I can vote for.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #12
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
I thought Dianne Watts was involved in this. Metro paper had up front. Unless I was too sleepy to recognize Dianne from Christy
No...she's keeping herself distant from them. They begged her to run for the lib leadership, and she was smart enough to stay away. This election is un-winable for the libs. It was as soon as Campbell stepped down.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #13

some more resignations in the Liberal party

Quote:
James Plett, Vice-President of the BC Liberals Surrey-Tynehead Riding Association announced on Twitter he was quitting his post.

Sick of “Today’s @bcliberals” corruption + scandal after scandal. Worse than the BC NDP of yesteryear. I quit effective now #bcpoli, he tweeted.

Two Liberal riding association presidents have also resigned in Surrey-Whalley and Surrey-Fleetwood, which is candidate Peter Fassbender’s riding.
Premier's deputy chief of staff resigns | News1130
Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
and that's the exact problem

"ah im happy i don't care about all the bullshit, butt raping that im getting" but its not like everyone in the country is getting those same standards either like those further in the interior and North

things could be far far better in terms of our standards of living if we held these people we appointed to account

its not like our standards are good or even better when compared to other countries; citizens of many european/middle eastern/asian countries have it better and imo that's because their citizens don't take crap and say its good

to add the governments (prov/national) have been and are trying to lessen our standards saying it's unsustainable/inconceivable (legal aid, affordable housing, health care)

edit: and firing the deputy and acting like she had nothing to do with it is CLASSIC Christy Clark just like how she knew nothing about her Husbands criminal activities
couldn't agree more - i'm a brit, we don't stand for certain shit (well, didn't, my country is now a mess - we've gone weak) - high consumption taxes, poor infrastructure, police state mentality, big government - i WISH the people here were more progressive... what crusty clark and her liberals gets away with is shocking. NDP will be no better, in fact, i'm sure they'll be worse.

Lose, lose, or lose - this is why i don't vote, none of them are any good (this will change when a BC conservative party is actually viable... just b/c they haven't had a chance to fuck up like NDP/Liberals in the years i've lived here... but only b/c they weren't around)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #15
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

anyone else only see "leaked" and "christy clark" in the title and was hoping for nudes or a sex tape?
[22-02, 21:43] ?uestlove i personally find it very attractive when women have stinky farts.
?uestlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
2-Wheelin' Mod

StylinRed, you say that many "european/middle eastern/asian countries have it better".... WHICH?

What is your context of better?

Political freedoms?

Freedom of expression?

Climate?

Economic opportunity?

Environment?

Having lived and work in the EU, I can tell you that any notion that European countries have it "Better" is a temporary mirage... what has been achieved in the EU with respect to social welfare, highly-regulated job markets and universal education and healthcare is NOT sustainable... the EU itself has spent more than a decade combating member states' excessive social spending (limiting government deficit to 3% of GDP and debt to 60% of GDP)... that members like Greece, Italy and Spain struggle to operate within these established parameters has led to massive subsidies from the ROE to help them avoid mass-default and governmental collapse... the root of their fiscal calamity? Excess social spending and ann inability/unwillingness to reign it in as their domestic economies contract.... the EU's Growth and Stability Pact was largely designed with the anticipation that Europe's social spending was eventually to become unsustainable..

And the Middle-East? What part of the Middle East boasts a better standard of living than British Columbia/Canada? Syria? Jordan? Lebanon? Qatar? Saudi Arabia? Iran? Iraq? Egypt? UAE? Please, that the region and localized states have the ability to construct a high standard of living for their citizens doesn't mean that they chose to do so... and even when they do, restrictions on freedom of speech, movement, employment, religion, association, etc., etc., quickly undermines your allegation that people in the Middle East have a better standard of living then we do.

Let me know when you have be to Iran, Qatar, Dubai, Saudi... that Dubai might be interesting to visit doesn't mean the standard of living is high... I can read and write Arabic and Farsi and still wouldn't chose to live my life in the region or raise a family there...

Again, what state in Asia boasts a significantly higher standard of living than here? Japan? With a shrinking population, a contracting economy and massive debt loads, Japan has massive challenges of its own.... ROC? ROK? Singapore? HK? Despite rapid growth and industrialization in each, I could argue that our standard of living is still above that of any of those.. particularly in a geo-political sense (ROC ; identify and debated sovereignty, HK ; lack of democratic process, accountability, ROK ; rapid growth but consistently in the shadow of a potential conflict and eventual absorption of 18 million North Koreans (which will cripple the economy), Singapore ; size, pollution, access to public services, etc.).... etc... etc... etc... I'm not suggesting that one couldn't live a fullfilling and happy life in those countries, but the opportunities and freedoms in this country are much larger....
Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
a BC conservative party is actually viable...
This is their time to shine, and...nothing.

All they could do is have their own little leadership issue and then nothing. They should be out storming the streets passing the message that "we're here and you don't have to vote NDP to not vote liberal"
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #18
I don't get it

What about the super-efficient Nordic countries like Norway, Denmark, etc...I guess the Netherlands would also be included if it wasn't in the Euro. Shame.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfighter View Post
StylinRed, you say that
Spoiler!
first, thanks for your insight and views and i'll be frank im not looking for a debate

second, I'm not saying Canada is horrible I'm saying we could be so so much better if we stood up against all the bullshit instead of just taking it because "im happy"

now to some of your questions

to name a few

ireland, denmark, germany, uae, saudi arabia, south korea, japan, malayasia (even indonesia quite soon given its growth), hong kong

I wouldn't argue environment (although some of the countries i named have more forward thinking environmental reforms/sustainability plans in place... hmm maybe i should then...)

I would argue economic opportunity, and social services

Every country has their positives and challenges that they have to face and its not strictly due to social services there are so many factors which take a toll on their economic situations but of all those countries you've named there is change going on there; certainly there are politicians who fuck up there as well the only difference is the citizens protest unbelievably to get those reforms in place and to hold those politicians to account

you note for the Middle East

Quote:
that the region and localized states have the ability to construct a high standard of living for their citizens doesn't mean that they chose to do so...
one, its silly to assume they wouldn't choose to do so, that would suggest that they're "evil" but that same point "they wouldn't choose to do so" can be used for ANY country in the world Including Canada

but to use that point, you agree with me then, if it wasn't for the fear that the citizenry would rebel/protest etc the government wouldn't be providing those standards and that's my point exactly if we here in Canada were more prone to say NO to the bullshit we would have a greater Standard of Living

Even if we were to look at the UN's Human Development Index, we're only 6th when, imo, we could be 1st

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-01-2013 at 08:50 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #20
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?uestlove View Post
anyone else only see "leaked" and "christy clark" in the title and was hoping for nudes or a sex tape?
jimmyrustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

and it sounds like the NDP wouldn't do the same thing
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #22
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?uestlove View Post
really??
bartone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #23
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
first, thanks for your insight and views and i'll be frank im not looking for a debate

second, I'm not saying Canada is horrible I'm saying we could be so so much better if we stood up against all the bullshit instead of just taking it because "im happy"

now to some of your questions

to name a few

ireland, denmark, germany, uae, saudi arabia, south korea, japan, malayasia (even indonesia quite soon given its growth), hong kong

I wouldn't argue environment (although some of the countries i named have more forward thinking environmental reforms/sustainability plans in place... hmm maybe i should then...)

I would argue economic opportunity, and social services

Every country has their positives and challenges that they have to face and its not strictly due to social services there are so many factors which take a toll on their economic situations but of all those countries you've named there is change going on there; certainly there are politicians who fuck up there as well the only difference is the citizens protest unbelievably to get those reforms in place and to hold those politicians to account

you note for the Middle East

one, its silly to assume they wouldn't choose to do so, that would suggest that they're "evil" but that same point "they wouldn't choose to do so" can be used for ANY country in the world Including Canada

but to use that point, you agree with me then, if it wasn't for the fear that the citizenry would rebel/protest etc the government wouldn't be providing those standards and that's my point exactly if we here in Canada were more prone to say NO to the bullshit we would have a greater Standard of Living

Even if we were to look at the UN's Human Development Index, we're only 6th when, imo, we could be 1st
So whose paying for it all? typical entitled Canadian attitude. I think we have it really good. Not having to worry about healthcare is already huge.
Hong Kong has a greater wealth gap than the US btw.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #24
I subscribe to Revscene

Dude Canada has a shit load of resources and now oil (in the top 5?) with a small population.
Canadian ignorance on your part.

Quote:
Would you take the first step in organizing a facebook page to protest the ICBC insurance and Skytrain rates in the greater Vancouver?
This issues can bring many people together and if the numbers reach anywhere to the Quebec student movement... then you would have a voice to dictate other reforms.

Here is a good scale to compare this country to others.

Last edited by Graeme S; 03-02-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Edited to embed image
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
So whose paying for it all? typical entitled Canadian attitude. I think we have it really good. Not having to worry about healthcare is already huge.
Hong Kong has a greater wealth gap than the US btw.
I've no problem in paying high taxes if it's used properly and we reap the benefits, I don't really see that we're getting all we can get from it

Not having to worry about healthcare? but we do since the govt. is constantly trying to axe and encumber the system and switch us to a private system thanks to the private sector lobby

We have a wealth of natural resources as mentioned by cic but even places with similar populations are able to offer more than just healthcare they're able to provide post-secondary education and even virtually free petrol to its citizens to name a few services (AND INSANELY LOW TAXATION); yet we, a wealthier nation, with far more potential for growth are struggling to keep what services we have not because we can't afford it but because we bend ourselves over and take it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
couldn't agree more - i'm a brit, we don't stand for certain shit (well, didn't, my country is now a mess - we've gone weak) - high consumption taxes, poor infrastructure, police state mentality, big government - i WISH the people here were more progressive... what crusty clark and her liberals gets away with is shocking. NDP will be no better, in fact, i'm sure they'll be worse.

Lose, lose, or lose - this is why i don't vote, none of them are any good (this will change when a BC conservative party is actually viable... just b/c they haven't had a chance to fuck up like NDP/Liberals in the years i've lived here... but only b/c they weren't around)

i don't believe the NDP will be worse, i'm pro ndp btw , i think they'll switch the focus to areas that have long been forgotten by the Libs (social services) and they're a necessity imo

I'm not a fan of the Cons i know they're not the same as the federal party but the fear that they will be is too much of a risk imo
Thankfully the Cons were unable to get their house in order so whatever momentum they had gained when they first appeared has long been lost; they can't even run a small party how are they going to deal with a province and filling up those party spots?

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-01-2013 at 10:34 PM.