REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #276
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,195 Times in 5,577 Posts
Picked up some NMC on that twitters recommendation lets see how it goes
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #277
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,163 Times in 1,548 Posts
It's a long climb to $20. The secret is to get your buys in before they announce the pump. The price usually shoots up a buck, really quick. Then you can decide if you want a quick profit, or to try to ride the wave for more.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #278
I bringith the lowerballerith

You win some, you lose some.

Was in on NMC at $4.xx 2 days ago. Sold at $6.xx and missed the pump to $12-15.

Hoped on the LTC train now and it's flat -_-;
Old 11-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #279

Has anyone verified, deposit, traded on Virtex yet?

If so how long did it take?
Old 11-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #280
Old School RS

Thanked 3,926 Times in 1,196 Posts
I have started the process of L2 Verification and am still waiting, going on 3 days now. They are estimating a week.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I have started the process of L2 Verification and am still waiting, going on 3 days now. They are estimating a week.
How long did it take you for L1?
Old 11-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #282
Old School RS

Didn't do L1, just went straight to L2...
Old 11-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #283

Quote:
Didn't do L1, just went straight to L2...
Thanks.

Not sure if I feel comfortable with PAD straight from my bank account even if i do/do not authorize from their website.

I'm still waiting for L1 and it's taking long!!!
Old 11-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #284
Old School RS

Yeah I have a bank account that is a bit more insulated for that purpose.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #285
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
I don't think it's worth the risk of getting transactions reversed to go the eBay/Paypal route. One scam could wipe out all your profits.
true in away, but I'm taking my precautions, hopefully I don't have to deal with that!

Just sold 10 LTC for $690 on eBay. After all fees, net $600usd, not bad
hoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #286

Lol so much for NMC looks like a longer hold than expected bought in at 12.8
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #287
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Setup to get lvl 2 verification on virtex a couple days ago....still nothing.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #288
Need to Seek Professional Help

hey all, regarding the ATM at Waves, is there a minimum to deposit?
FYI: I dont have a "wallet"
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #289

Lol fuck spend too much time at work watching the markets, I'm thinking of rolling like skinny and sell off my LTC for BTC and prepare for a long term hold
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #290
Old School RS

I am looking to buy a large lot of LTC at market prices, ideally close to 1000LTC, but would consider buying lots as small as 100, with cash or draft locally in Vancouver if anybody knows of anyone who would like to get cash which is a pretty tough gig these days.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #291
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Wait till feather coin comes up hahahah
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #292

Was thinking it kind of hurts to buy BTC at $950 when just last week I got one for $400, but I guess it's all relative when I'm selling LTC at $45 lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #293
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
i just read this thread... first time I've ever heard of these things... i still don't get what makes them worth money.
You guys are comparing them to foreign currency or to stocks on the exchange. To me, foreign currency is backed by governments, who have economies, which is why their currency is worth money.
stocks for various companies are worth money because the companies that sell stocks have some assets and profits which makes their stocks worth money.
What makes bitcoins worth money? Just because there's a limited number of them? What exactly are they? They aren't anything physical from what I understand like gold or diamonds, for example.

What about taxes? Do you guys declare the profits you make from trading these things? Are they considered investments by the CRA? I sure hope no one gets audited and fined for not paying taxes

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #294

Quote:
LTC up over $38 on BTC-E... who feels like an idiot selling? This guy!! I have bought and sold 3 times today but keep getting out as it always seems "too good to be true"
Yeah, I feel the same. I had like 1200 LTC a few weeks ago, 30000 FTC and 5000 NMC. Had I just left it alone I'd have over $100,000 worth of coins.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:45 AM   #295
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Yeah, I feel the same. I had like 1200 LTC a few weeks ago, 30000 FTC and 5000 NMC. Had I just left it alone I'd have over $100,000 worth of coins.

over 60k worth of NMC -.- and FTC is not worth much so that's okay... 1200 LTC is 45,6 as well... damn.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:00 AM   #296
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,754 Times in 8,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
i just read this thread... first time I've ever heard of these things... i still don't get what makes them worth money.
You guys are comparing them to foreign currency or to stocks on the exchange. To me, foreign currency is backed by governments, who have economies, which is why their currency is worth money.
stocks for various companies are worth money because the companies that sell stocks have some assets and profits which makes their stocks worth money.
What makes bitcoins worth money? Just because there's a limited number of them? What exactly are they? They aren't anything physical from what I understand like gold or diamonds, for example.

What about taxes? Do you guys declare the profits you make from trading these things? Are they considered investments by the CRA? I sure hope no one gets audited and fined for not paying taxes
Hi Grandpa, let me explain some things

Quote:
To me, foreign currency is backed by governments
This is not always true. Currency treasuries are usually (but not always) separate from the government.

Quote:
who have economies, which is why their currency is worth money.
Countries are not what make currencies "worth money". What makes something worth "money" is that you can exchange them for goods or services. If people don't want USD anymore, it isn't worth anything, even if it's money. Many currencies (often backed by governments) have gotten to the point where people don't want them anymore. At that point, they are only worth whatever material they are made with.

Quote:
What makes bitcoins worth money?
The same thing that makes anything worth 'money'. You can buy stuff with them. Now it's brand new, so there's not much you can buy with it. But there are more and more stores that accept it as payment..

The other allure is the idea that the economy (that you seem to count on so much) is going to eventually crash, as we go through a paradigm shift. When that happens, people will need something to buy and spend with. For the last few thousands of years, it has been gold and precious metals. In this day and age, digital currency makes much more sense.

Quote:
What about taxes? Do you guys declare the profits you make from trading these things?
For the people talking about their huge gains here, I sure hope they are declaring it
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #297
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,537 Times in 1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
They aren't anything physical from what I understand like gold or diamonds, for example.
if you can get over this idea, then you will understand it... you'll understand a lot more beyond bitcoin actually.

thing's dont have to be physical to be real. or to be worth something. things don't have to be tangible or "real" to be real.

just like how world of warcraft money is worth money. or items you find in game.

as long as there is a supply, and there is demand, then it is real, and worth something.

things don't have to be backed or anything.

sure bitcoin aint backed. but it's limited, and people can exchange it for stuff, it's in demand, and there's less of it than there is demand.

why is it any different than... USD? sure USD is backed by the govt.
but that's NOW. what if the US govt dissolves into nothing? another great empire takes over and USA is just a memory of the past.

you think USD will be worth anything?

u think it's worth something cuz it's backed NOW. when it's not backed, then it will have no demand and drop.

same as BTC. when people decide they don't want it any more for whatever possible reason, then demand will drop and the worth will go down.

like anything.

you're saying it doesnt make sense to invest cuz there's nothing backing it. yeah, maybe in the future, but it hasnt happened yet, and we don't know if it will happen.

all that matters is that there is demand NOW, and right NOW there is opportunity to make money off of it.

what happens LATER, is something for LATER.

like i said, you can invest in some government backed product X, but if tomorrow it suddenly isn't backed any more, or there's something better, you can be damn sure you'll dump it, because you feel it's got no value any more.

value isn't determined by just numbers and math. it's determined by individual humans.

you think snapchat is worth 4billion? is it real? it isnt even tangible. it could be worth nothing next week if everyone switches to something else. what "assets" does snapchat have? the program itself? ok... they probably have an office with office equipment... that's worth next to nothing. so what is the real worth? what makes it worth something?

ya get my drift?

another example can be intellectual property, that's not tangible, and yet it is worth something. why? there is demand for it. the technological/intellectual patents are WORTH something cuz people WANT it (for whatever reason, any reason will do).

you can say the same for art. art is even more "useless" than bitcoin. why is some picaso painting worth 10's of millions? what's it backed by? the material it's painted on isnt even worth 5 bucks.
it's just cuz people want it. and if i want it more than you and i have more money than you, then I make it worth that much more. and if the world agrees with me, then it is.

economics is subjective. non tangible. determined by human elements which are chaotic and unpredictable to a certain degree... nothing is "real".

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 11-29-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #298
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Problem with bitcoins and all cryptos at this point is that they are deflationary.
Cryptos are acting more like commodities instead of currencies which is leading to hyper deflation.
Bitcoins don't have any value outside of being a currency. It isn't gold and shouldn't be treated as such, currencies need to circulate to succeed. This is one of the biggest problems with bitcoins.

On a side note, it doesn't mean you can't make mad money speculating. I'll will buy all btc and ltc at market rate. Or conversely if you want to sell your stash in china, I can help you with that.
Posted via RS Mobile
dna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #299
Old School RS

LTC has had a pretty epic crash, unfortunately I hold some still, but that stuff is in for the long haul at this point so doing my best not to watch it. Cavirtex has a post on their homepage that they have extra staff working verifications right now so I am hoping that I get verified soon.

Cheers
Old 11-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Was thinking it kind of hurts to buy BTC at $950 when just last week I got one for $400, but I guess it's all relative when I'm selling LTC at $45 lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Hurts even more buying 13BTC for $3000 a few weeks ago, and now only having got 2.6BTC for the same $3000.

I took a gamble with FTC. It's the last crypto not to see a huge increase like LTC, NMC, PPC etc. So I bought a few thousand yesterday morning. So far I've doubled in value and it looks to be continuing to climb. Will it see $10 like NMC? Who knows, but NMC was $0.50 a week ago.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote