REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
I don't get it either

Bitcoins anyone?

Anyone on RS mining or trading or speculating Bitcoins?
Advertisement
Boostaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,537 Times in 1,501 Posts
I almost bought one of these new super mining rigs. almost.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
I don't get it

I bought some bitcoins when they were $11/btc through cavirtex.com.

Now they're at $35/btc so I might hold onto them or invest-but they were $35 18 months ago, and then the price plummeted.

Bitcoin mining is not recommended unless you have an extremely powerful PC-find odd jobs that pay in bitcoins, or just buy them with cash.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
I don't get it

Been mining for a year now on my single 7970, made quite a bit with the recent spike @$40USD/BTC. Not worth it anymore to GPU mine.
ryugeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,342 Times in 3,438 Posts
where they not like a buck each last year?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
My knowledge about bitcoins is extremely limited, but I thought there was a finite number of bitcoins available? How does mining them work, then?
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,565 Times in 4,288 Posts
I think there is only 21mill bitcoins available, fuck I have no clue how that shit works at all or how you even mine them.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
I don't get it

Data is recorded in the Bitcoin protocol through "blocks". Blocks are records of the most recent Bitcoin transactions that have not been recorded in previous blocks (think of a stock transaction ledger). When you mine a block, there is a difficult mathematical puzzle to solve-each block has unique solutions. It uses the Hashcash proof-of-work system, which is used to limit email spam and denial of service attacks. When you solve the puzzle, you get rewarded with Bitcoins. The amount of bitcoins rewarded halves every 210,000 blocks, or four years. The reward for solving the puzzle will be the first transaction recorded in each block. Additionally, each newly mined block will have a reference (or hash) to the previous block to ensure it was mined legitimately, and is added to the end of the record of all blocks, which is known as the block chain. The block chain is the database of all Bitcoin transactions and is Bitcoin's main innovation. It serves to limit spending Bitcoins twice.

A bitcoin is divisible to 8 decimal places. Once the reward for Bitcoins becomes 0.00000001, it turns into 0 when halved and no more Bitcoins will be produced. This will happen when block 6,929,999 is mined, which should happen in the year 2140. Right now there are about 224,300 blocks, and a new block is added to the block chain every 10 minutes or so. Blocks will continue to be generated without end as long as people are trading Bitcoins, since it's the record of all transactions. If you go onto Black Market Reloaded and buy some Adderall because MSP doesn't cover it, that transaction of Bitcoins will be added to the block record.

Computational power is used to mine bitcoins. You can use CPU or GPU power to mine them, with a specialized program. Unfortunately, the amount of processing power needed, combined with the cost of electricity for home miners, makes it extremely difficult to turn a profit.

For an explanation in plain English: http://codinginmysleep.com/bitcoin-m...-plain-english

Last edited by BurnoutBinLaden; 03-05-2013 at 01:22 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

i have access to multiple servers, how easy is it to mine bitcoins.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
i have access to multiple servers, how easy is it to mine bitcoins.
Depends on the power of your hardware. Check here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_Hardware_Comparison
Old 03-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,537 Times in 1,501 Posts
with all theses ASIC's coming out... unless you have one, there's no point trying to mine.

as soon as these become wide spread, it will be the standard for mining.

I couldn't get the first wave shipments (i calculated you'd mine like 150-300 bux a day)... but as soon as they become wide spread it becomes like 150 bux a month....

not worth it in my opinion.

in BC we do have really cheap electricity vs other places... but the costs are negligible.

if u order an ASIC now you wont get it for a few months. in my opinion that's too late.

the window of opportunity for benefiting from having an ASIC machine was the end of last year to this april/may. after that anyone GPU mining will be paying more for electricity than the amount they mine.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
I don't get it either

the price went up so much the last month, it almost seem like a huge bubble again.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Is this a gaming currency? I'm lost =/
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
where they not like a buck each last year?
I think about 15-20USD.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
I don't get it either

This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #16
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,881 Times in 744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
in BC we do have really cheap electricity vs other places... but the costs are negligible.

if u order an ASIC now you wont get it for a few months. in my opinion that's too late.

the window of opportunity for benefiting from having an ASIC machine was the end of last year to this april/may. after that anyone GPU mining will be paying more for electricity than the amount they mine.
Most RS users still live at home anyways and probably don't pay rent or have to contribute to the household so it could still be worth it for such individuals.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #17
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
so you mine these bitcoins and then they can used to buy things?
but... how does the mining thing work and how long does it take to get the coins???
so its based on GPU? so having the best GPU would yield the most coins?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
I have nVidia cards so it's not worth it
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,754 Times in 8,158 Posts
If you want to mine at home, it depends on the hardware. I just posted this AMD vs Nvidia review yesterday, comparing a couple GPUs:

The 7870 does a decent job of mining... I don't know what all the rates are, so I just used this conversion calculator. According to it, mining with the Radeon 24/7 would bring in 1.45 BTC per month, worth about $62 USD a month.

Looking at the power consumption then:

It depends on the power cost of your country. For me in HK, it would cost about $17 a month to do, which is a net profit of $45 a month. In BC it would only cost about $8 a month to mine 24/7.

There is certainly more efficient hardware out there, which would be more profitable to run, but then you have to factor in the cost of the hardware itself.

IMO if you have a high end Radeon card, it might be worth mining a bit just to recover the cost of the card itself
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #20
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,388 Times in 906 Posts
I have the radeon hd 7870 but would it be harmful to my graphic card if i was to run this 24/7 for a month?
Gerbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #21
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I bought a few days ago. Already made 30 bucks

https://blockchain.info/charts/market-price

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
so you mine these bitcoins and then they can used to buy things?
but... how does the mining thing work and how long does it take to get the coins???
so its based on GPU? so having the best GPU would yield the most coins?
Yes but mining isn't the only way to aquire. You can buy them off people who usually charge a % for profit just like currency exchange shops. You can mine from pretty much anything. GPU is just yields better results than CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
Is this a gaming currency? I'm lost =/
Think of it as another currency that isn't controlled by banks. Some really smart guy came up with a really cool way to distribute money and you can use it wherever its supported. For example... Google stripcoin (nsfw)

Last edited by mos_skeeto; 03-05-2013 at 09:21 PM.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

can anyone provide a step by step on how to get started thats geared for total noobs?
you! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #23
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
I have the radeon hd 7870 but would it be harmful to my graphic card if i was to run this 24/7 for a month?
no but having it at pretty much full load 24/7 (i presume) would likely mean a shorter lifespan.

For some this isn't an issue because they just use the money earned from mining to get a new card every other year.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #24
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
dude these ppl r nuts,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:29 AM   #25
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Only time I heard about bitcoin is when I was reading about "deep web" and how there were merchants in there that accepted bitcoin.

E.g. You would have drug dealers, from hard-to-attain prescription drugs to weed. Interesting part was how weed was delivered via regular USPS.