REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #26
I don't get it

...Is this real life?

Hahaha what a crazy asshole, his people are starving to death and he wants war... actually that kinda makes sense to me.

And it's hilarious that they call themselves the Democratic People's Republic of Korea - their whole history sounds like someone tried to make the most ridiculous movie script kinda like the book 1984, except this is real.
Advertisement
hotshot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #27
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
There's really no need for concern, and I highly doubt that if North Korea really wanted to invade the South, that they would publicize everything. No one here in Korea even gives a shit.

My buddy was talking about if a war does break out, he has the role of a secretary. Apparently he just sits in a room typing up shit, and if the North invades the building, he has a handgun to shoot himself with (or his buddies around him that don't suicide). Oodly enough, we were both laughing about it.

And then you also have to take into account Kim Jong-un. He probably lives like a King eating what he wants, fucking women all day (North Korean women are actually more beautiful than the South's), and chilling with Dennis Rodman. There's no reason for him to get involved in some bullshit war he know he's going to lose, and get blown to pieces.

Mind the Gap Between Rhetoric and Reality | Nautilus Institute for Security and Sustainability

Interesting read above. No Coles notes. If you can't bother to read that, go fuck yourself.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.

Last edited by Razor Ramon HG; 03-08-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #28
I subscribe to Revscene

Member ZenOps from the Alberta Beyond.ca forums states some beautiful views on this subject... here is one.

Spoiler!
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

This is just another reason to jack up the price of oil.
Posted via RS Mobile
dinamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #30
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Yeepie!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #31
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #32
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #33
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
From the National Post

They seem to have far more reach with their arsenal than I had previously thought.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #34
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
There's really no need for concern, and I highly doubt that if North Korea really wanted to invade the South, that they would publicize everything. No one here in Korea even gives a shit.

My buddy was talking about if a war does break out, he has the role of a secretary. Apparently he just sits in a room typing up shit, and if the North invades the building, he has a handgun to shoot himself with (or his buddies around him that don't suicide). Oodly enough, we were both laughing about it.

And then you also have to take into account Kim Jong-un. He probably lives like a King eating what he wants, fucking women all day (North Korean women are actually more beautiful than the South's), and chilling with Dennis Rodman. There's no reason for him to get involved in some bullshit war he know he's going to lose, and get blown to pieces.

Mind the Gap Between Rhetoric and Reality | Nautilus Institute for Security and Sustainability

Interesting read above. No Coles notes. If you can't bother to read that, go fuck yourself.
right.... there goes your credibility
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #35
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
From the National Post

Spoiler!

They seem to have far more reach with their arsenal than I had previously thought.
But besides their smallest missile...
They don't really have any accuracy with any of the farther ranged ones.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #36
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noventa View Post
right.... there goes your credibility
Sorry, I forgot to add naturally in there.

As hard as it is to believe, yes, North Korean women are naturally more beautiful than the South. Many people here in South Korea think that way.

In any case, tomorrow will be an interesting day (Monday the 11th). The US and SK are conducting military drills together, which the NK are denouncing as a threat.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/nati...02600315F.HTML
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.

Last edited by Razor Ramon HG; 03-10-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #37
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,693 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to add naturally in there.

As hard as it is to believe, yes, North Korean women are naturally more beautiful than the South. Many people here in South Korea think that way.

In any case, tomorrow will be an interesting day (Monday the 11th). The US and SK are conducting military drills together, which the NK are denouncing as a threat.

N. Korea threatens all-out war ahead of S. Korea-U.S. military drill | YONHAP NEWS
Not entirely sure what your basing your opinion on, but you can't really come across many North Korean women in a lifetime.

All the pretty ones are sent to the government's "happy squad" (read: Dear Leader's whores) - although you're right that a large percentage of South Korean women are...unnaturally pretty.
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #38
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Not entirely sure what your basing your opinion on, but you can't really come across many North Korean women in a lifetime.

All the pretty ones are sent to the government's "happy squad" (read: Dear Leader's whores) - although you're right that a large percentage of South Korean women are...unnaturally pretty.
My original statement was based on what the majority of people in South Korea believe. It's not so much an opinion as it is considered a common fact here in Korea, even in the media.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #39
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
My original statement was based on what the majority of people in South Korea believe.
I've taught Koreans for nearly seven years now. I have yet to meet the views you describe, B-dawg.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #40
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
I've taught Koreans for nearly seven years now. I have yet to meet the views you describe, B-dawg.
Interesting.

I was talking about the whole NK/SK situation with my friend, and we ended up on the conversation of North Korean women. He said that amongst South Koreans, there's sort of this idea that the women in the North were much better looking.

Then I asked a few other guy friends, and they thought the same thing. I never asked a woman though.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #41
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Interesting.

I was talking about the whole NK/SK situation with my friend, and we ended up on the conversation of North Korean women. He said that amongst South Koreans, there's sort of this idea that the women in the North were much better looking.

Then I asked a few other guy friends, and they thought the same thing. I never asked a woman though.
Always keep in mind that the section of people that you or I would meet is the tiniest of the tiny of the miniscule.

Talk to a cab driver, a convenience store worker, a restaurant server...and you'll get a completely different answer than the people we'd meet that can speak English and have an international mindset.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:47 AM   #42

Quote:
Interesting.

What you've heard may be stemming from an old(ish) Korean saying...남남북녀 (Nam nam buk nyuh), literally translated to South Man North Woman...essentially meaning South men are better looking, as are North women.

It stems from older Korean culture, much before the split, saying women from northern parts are prettier as they have fairer skin. The standard for good looking men was ruggedness and bronzed/tanned skin, from the south. It has nothing to do with North and South Korea, and all to do with geographical climates and what the standard of beauty was back then. Such standards change over time - the reason the Kim's of the north are all fat is because in North Korea, obesity is a symbol for wealth and power. This used to be so in South Korea in the 70's - obviously not so anymore.

Anyway, the notion that North Korean women are prettier is in no way factual, and even much less applicable these days.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2013, 01:57 AM   #43
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:

Really? Where can I find the article about that?
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:05 AM   #44
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
What you've heard may be stemming from an old(ish) Korean saying...남남북녀
I think that's probably it. I was trying to think of how such a belief could still be around as like you said, not many people get to see NK women. I was actually surprised when my friend told me that.

It's interesting how the concept of beauty can change over time. Now it's all about having lighter toned skin.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:06 AM   #45
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I think it's always a stupid statement to generalize a whole nation having more beautiful people.
It's not just this specific example, but I keep seeing statements like these online, especially threads with a gallery of girls.

People see 3 Spanish models posted. OK, SPAIN has all the pretty girls.
See 3 French models. OK! France has all the pretty girls.
etc.

Not to even mention, "beauty" is subjective.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
Really? Where can I find the article about that?
Kippumjo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North Korea's Pleasure Squad - Marie Claire Magazine - Yahoo!7 Lifestyle
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #47
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts

The perfect day for North Korea to invade South Korea
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #48
Say! Say! Say!

The Key Resolve drills have started here as planned, and the South Korean military has begun preparing for any surprise attacks by the North. The sea border is being heavily monitored. The communication hotline between the two nations have also been severed.

On the news, elementary school students were told to stay at home just in-case something does happen.

Definitely a very interesting chain of events. But I cannot see anything really happening unless North Korea directly fires at Seoul.

North Korea has tried to assassinate the president of the South a handful of times in the past, and even then, nothing has really come out of it. One of the more recent events, the incident at Yeonpyeong also yielded no real military response from the South (aside from the initial counterattacks).
Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #49
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

hope dennis rodman will be alright
bbcbrbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:03 AM   #50
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
SEOUL, March 30 (Yonhap) -- North Korea said Saturday that inter-Korean relations have entered into a state of war and all cross-border issues will be dealt with in a wartime manner, the latest in a near-daily series of strident threats against the South in recent weeks.

The warning came a day after North Korean leader Kim Jong-un put strategic rocket units on standby, threatening to strike targets in South Korea, the U.S. mainland, and its military bases in Hawaii and Guam, in anger after nuclear-capable U.S. B-2 stealth bombers participated in joint military drills in the South.

"From this moment, the North-South relations will be put at the state of war, and all the issues arousing between the North and the South will be dealt with according to the wartime regulations," the North said in a special statement issued by the country's government, parties and other organizations, according to the Korean Central News Agency.

"The state of neither peace nor war has ended on the Korean Peninsula," it said.

The communist nation also said it will "immediately punish any slightest provocation hurting its dignity and sovereignty with resolute and merciless physical actions without any prior notice."

Pyongyang has sharply ratcheted up belligerent rhetoric in recent weeks with repeated war threats against the South in anger over joint military exercises between South Korea and the United States as well as a new U.N. Security Council resolution adopted for its third nuclear test.

In Saturday's statement, the North denounced the mobilization of the U.S stealth bombers for the exercise as "an unpardonable and heinous provocation, and an open challenge."

"If the U.S. and the South Korean puppet group perpetrate a military provocation for igniting a war against the DPRK (North Korea) in any area, including the five islands in the West Sea of Korea or in the area along the Military Demarcation Line, it will not be limited to a local war but develop into an all-out war, a nuclear war," the North said in the statement.

The South's defense ministry denounced the recent series of menacing rhetoric by the North as unacceptable threats that hurt peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula, and pledged to thoroughly punish Pyongyang in the event of provocations.

It also said this week's exercises involving stealth bombers were defensive in nature.

"Our military is maintaining full preparedness to leave no blind point in safeguarding the lives and safety of the people," the ministry said in a statement.

Despite harsh threats, the North is showing no unusual military moves, a military source said.

In Washington, the White House said it takes the North's warning seriously.

"We've seen reports of a new and unconstructive statement from North Korea," said Caitlin Hayden, spokeswoman for the National Security Council, according to AFP. "We take these threats seriously and remain in close contact with our South Korean allies."

Hayden said the North's threat follows a pattern of bellicose rhetoric and threats.

"We continue to take additional measures against the North Korean threat, including our plan to increase the U.S. ground-based interceptors and early warning and tracking radar," she said.

Despite Pyongyang's latest threat, border crossings by South Koreans to and from the joint industrial complex in the North Korean border city of Kaesong proceeded normally, beginning with 78 people entering the complex at 8:30 a.m, Seoul's unification ministry said.

The North notified the South of its approval of the border crossings via the park's management committee earlier in the day, the ministry said. On Saturday, a total of 241 South Koreans were scheduled to travel to the factory park, with 510 people set to be coming back, it said.

The complex, where 123 South Korean companies run factories with cheap North Korean labor, is a major source of hard currency for the impoverished communist nation.
(4th LD) N. Korea says inter-Korean relations enter into war phase | YONHAP NEWS

You can read the declaration here - Full war declaration statement from DPRK (via KCNA... | Reuters.com