REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   Asking for Receipt to return Birthday Present (https://www.revscene.net/forums/681511-asking-receipt-return-birthday-present.html)

chickenugget69 03-09-2013 09:32 PM

Asking for Receipt to return Birthday Present

It was my birthday recently. My friends pitched in together and bought me a gift, two PC games. I'd be really stoked but thing is I don't play games.. at all. I played a few in the past, and although they're really popular (especially with my friends), I just choose not to play them. I'll get to this more later on, but the main thing is I want to return the games but I didn't get a gift receipt. What I'm thinking is to ask the person who paid initially for the receipt. My dilemma is that if I do that it might be a really dick move, seeing that they REALLY think I'm going to enjoy these games - and I acted really happy when I got them. Apparently they spent some time choosing specifically these two games, because I'm someone who doesn't play games so they chose "beginner" and "popular" games.

If I don't return them, I'm basically never going to touch them. I might be curious and play them on my laptop, but they're strategy games and I really hate these games (I can't get into games unless it's fast-paced like a shooter - the only time I play games is Halo4 at a friend's house), and strategy games take up a lot of time (which I don't have). What do you guys think? I'm already leaning towards asking for the receipt and returning them, but I'd just like to ask around if anyone thinks I shouldn't.

and JUST IN CASE you're wondering, why I don't play games:

- They take up a lot of time. Every hobby takes time, but in my opinion time is precious and I only want to spend it on activities that I NEED to do (like school, work) or things that bestow personal growth (working out, volunteering). In my perspective, games don't provide personal growth. Some people will disagree with me because games stimulate strategic thinking and motor reflexes, but I don't feel the time invested is worth the results.

- They're also addicting. I've known too many friends who play countless hours of LoL everyday and neglect all their priorities. I MIGHT enjoy playing games, but to play it safe I'm just going to stay away from them because I was addicted to games before. I played Runescape and GunZ in elementary school - and after a time I didn't even enjoy doing so, I just kept playing them because I felt it was a daily routine, there was nothing else to do. Don't ever want to get into that again.

There's probably a dozen other reasons, but those are my top ones. My reasons aren't important, I just want to put that in the open in case someone says I should just give the games a try because I might like them; I MIGHT like them, but I rather not play games at all.

jeedee 03-09-2013 09:43 PM

If you can't get a gift receipt, you could always just resell them lol

Just curious, if you're able to get the gift receipt, what would you exchange it for?

chickenugget69 03-09-2013 09:49 PM

If I can't get cash, I'll just get a gift card. At EB games, I have no clue what I'd get there. Maybe I can get a gift card and then use it to buy a gift for one of their birthdays in the future lol

bcrdukes 03-09-2013 09:49 PM

LOL you need to find new friends man!

chickenugget69 03-09-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8180807)
LOL you need to find new friends man!

I explained the situation to a friend and she said the same thing LOL
Thing is, although we don't share the same interests, I can trust these guys with my life, and when they're not gaming I really do have fun with them :P

subordinate 03-09-2013 10:25 PM

If you guys are really good friends, then a receipt would be no problem. If I gave a shitty gift and my friend wanted a receipt, I'd have no qualms. And I'd laugh it off.

If you feel it might strain things then going the Craigslist route might be a better idea.

BrRsn 03-09-2013 10:38 PM

that's a real first world problem you're facing

I suggest expressing your true feelings to your friends. Inevitably this will lead to your ostracization from the group, and ultimately your complete dissociation from society as you know it. However, this will give you a valuable opportunity to sulk in the shadows and drown yourself in self pity. Perhaps you can get on good anti-depressents and live out the remainder of your sad, meaningless, miniscule existence as an overindulgent habitual prescription drug abuser (the blue collar criminal of the drug abuse world, if you will.); perpetuating the stereotypical firstworld problems and glorifying those less fortunate with you with your ability to make so little with an overabundance of so much.

tl;dr

it don't matter
honesty is the best policy
when in doubt whip it out
wrap it before you tap it

?uestlove 03-09-2013 10:41 PM

if i were you. fuck asking for the receipt. that would make the situation awkward and you'd have to be all weird and explain why you don't play video games and shit. you know revscene, so i'm sure you know craigslist

chickenugget69 03-10-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ?uestlove (Post 8180838)
if i were you. fuck asking for the receipt. that would make the situation awkward and you'd have to be all weird and explain why you don't play video games and shit. you know revscene, so i'm sure you know craigslist

Howmuch do games go around on craigslist? I've never sold anything there aside from clothes :P
I'm assuming the games were 30 bucks each and apparently "classic games"

XplicitLuder 03-10-2013 12:27 PM

my guess is go on cl and search up that game , ex : call of duty black ops.

type in craigslist.ca, then click on vancouver cl unless its already there
now type in call of duty black ops PC (do they even make this? lulz)
search results will find call of duty black ops pc goes for roughly 25-35$
make an ad to sell call of duty black ops for 30$ and go from there

:badpokerface::ilied:

bcrdukes 03-10-2013 01:27 PM

I re-read the thread.

Here are my 2 cents and I don't mean to offend. Take it for face value.

1. Don't be so petty. Just accept what they gave you and be thankful.
2. Box them away and look past the whole situation. Just appreciate the fact that these "friends" of yours gave you something.

Win/win/win situation.

P.S. - Cross your fingers and hope they never see this thread.

twitchyzero 03-10-2013 01:36 PM

types a paragraph about gift return...ends up being about why you don't like playing games

haha

Purely 03-10-2013 01:40 PM

"and I acted really happy when I got them"

Why don't you just give the games a try.. or like others have said, just sell them on Craigslist.

MarkyMark 03-12-2013 11:35 PM

So basically you'd rather just return them and pocket the cash, nice.

I'd just keep the games and never bring it up again, unless you are that desperate for the money it just sounds shitty, especially if they spent time trying to pick them out.
Posted via RS Mobile

inv4zn 03-12-2013 11:57 PM

I thought you couldn't even return games?

Any digital media is exchange for same title only, isn't it?

Alby 03-13-2013 12:35 AM

if i were you, i'd do nothing. it was a gift. at worst, you could have gotten nothing. asking for a gift receipt will make shit awkward and not to mention they will probably talk behind your back.

sexyaccord 03-13-2013 08:04 AM

craigslist

yray 03-13-2013 08:10 AM

I'll take the games for free if that would help with your guilt. :troll:

Spoon 03-13-2013 08:24 AM

Look through Toys R Us's return policy regarding refunds with no receipt (might need to go instore). Bought a diaper disposal thing from there before and ended up not needing it. Even though I loss the receipt, I was able to get a full refund (it will be based on their lowest price in the past week or something).

If your friends bought it there, might be able to refund it there. If not, I have a feeling you still can anyways (but not sure if their policy differs for software).

Nlkko 03-13-2013 09:42 AM

Use them as decor. It's the birthday presents afterall. Who go and sell a present..... Unless you need the cash.

noventa 03-14-2013 10:24 PM

you do realize your friends won't care right? you should read this again in like 3 years. haha

dvst8 03-19-2013 03:09 PM

Friends gave you a gift. Be thankful. Keep it or sell it. Dont ask for the receipt. Man Law.

XplicitLuder 03-19-2013 05:34 PM

offer them some chicken nuggets as a trade :badpokerface:

LP700-4 03-19-2013 05:48 PM

Easiest solution in the world. Wait till your sister/brother/cousin/far away friend's birthday then pass the gift along to them! Just make sure whoever you're giving the games away to doesnt know your friend who gave it to you in the first place.