REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Shopping for ties (https://www.revscene.net/forums/681627-shopping-ties.html)

tru_blue 03-12-2013 03:13 PM

Shopping for ties

So how do you guys shop for ties? I see some at Sears for $19.99 while brand name ones like Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren cost $65. and Burberry ones cost $100+.

Is there a difference when wearing them?

Can people tell an expensive tie from a cheap one?

I need to get some ties. What are your opinions and advises when I'm selecting a tie?

*there are ones at Sears that cost only $12.97, are those decent?

I'm a noob when it comes to buying ties :okay:

lowside67 03-12-2013 03:25 PM

Ties, like every article of clothing, are priced on the basis of materials, workmanship, and the markup they can get away with (the name). Everybody can tell cheap clothes, even if they can't tell you how they know they are cheap - a poor fit, obviously inferior materials, poor workmanship, etc.

For ties, you need to look at 100% silk. Once you are in a decent material, just pick a pattern, cut and pricepoint you can live with.

Mark

tru_blue 03-12-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8183053)
Ties, like every article of clothing, are priced on the basis of materials, workmanship, and the markup they can get away with (the name). Everybody can tell cheap clothes, even if they can't tell you how they know they are cheap - a poor fit, obviously inferior materials, poor workmanship, etc.

For ties, you need to look at 100% silk. Once you are in a decent material, just pick a pattern, cut and pricepoint you can live with.

Mark

alot of them say they are made with 100% silk including the ties for $20.

are there different types of silk though?

when i run my nails on some of them, they have this feeling of "stuck" just like worn wool pants and track jackets (not sure what the word is). Does this mean the tie is made from cheap silk?

tru_blue 03-12-2013 03:38 PM

can people tell a good fitting tie from a poor fitting one? I didnt know "fit" applies to ties as well. I thought it was only for clothing (shirts and pants).

lowside67 03-12-2013 03:39 PM

For a tie it's cut, not fit. Is it skinny, is it wide, is it tapered, etc?

JKam 03-12-2013 03:41 PM

if you want cheap ones, go to thetiebar.com $15 each.

tru_blue 03-12-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKam (Post 8183065)
if you want cheap ones, go to thetiebar.com $15 each.

not looking for a cheap one. Just comparing whats out there and which ones to buy.

tru_blue 03-12-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8183064)

in terms of "cut" what would you look for when you are buying a tie? (for yourself that is)

lowside67 03-12-2013 03:53 PM

The cut of a tie depends a lot on your own body type. The skinnier you are, the skinnier your tie should be. Younger people also tend to gravitate towards skinnier.

I wouldn't own only "skinny" ties, but I do find myself wearing mostly them. I just find it's pretty tough to wear a "full" width tie these days and not look like you are just wearing your dad's hand-me-down ties.

It's not my favourite photo of myself, but this is one of my favourite ties, a 100% silk CK "skinny" tie:

Mark

FI-Z33 03-12-2013 09:38 PM

^ lookn good!

bought a red tie for my bf before for valentine's day...i think i love the tie more than he does...man it was $$ but totally worth it :fullofwin:

tru_blue 03-13-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8183064)

what do u mean by "tapered" ?

hud 91gt 03-13-2013 09:35 AM

Tie width should correspond to your lapel, or collar width. Wearing pops old suit from the mafia days? Don't wear a Skinny tie :p

skiiipi 03-13-2013 09:52 AM

Buy your ties in January, when they go 50% off
i got a decent collection of Armani, Canali and Boss ties for $50-70 each
The quality just feels that much better than the stuff you get at Moores....and at $50-70 each, its not bad.....I wouldn't pay the $100-$150 regular price on them though...dont wear ties often enough to justify it.

tru_blue 03-14-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 8183681)
Tie width should correspond to your lapel, or collar width. Wearing pops old suit from the mafia days? Don't wear a Skinny tie :p

so what is it? Don't wear a skinny tie or a wide tie?

I thought wearing a wide tie makes you look like wearing your dad's ? :suspicious:

lowside67 03-14-2013 06:49 AM

There are not just "skinny" ties and "wide" ties. There are a bunch of in betweens. A tie doesn't need to be as skinny as the one I posted, it should just look right. I just find there are not any examples of a young and reasonably slim guy wearing a WIDE tie and not looking ridiculous.

wichu 03-14-2013 11:29 PM

I find my ties at winners. Designer brands (dkny, calvin klein, penguin, etc) for around $20 or less instead of $50 or more. I think skinny ties are more for a younger look. Wider ties for maturer image.

yogenfruz 03-15-2013 08:25 AM

Here's a quick comparison of width when it comes to ties:
http://cyberoptix.com/images/colors/...Compare835.jpg
Personally, I like the look of narrow ties for a more "professional" look, and a skinny tie if it's for a social event, like a wedding or party.

Like others have said, find silk, and then basically look for a design you want for an amount you're willing to pay. I recently went to Moore's as they were having their 50% Winter Sale, and got a nice silk CK tie for about 40$.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tru..azn (Post 8184375)
so what is it? Don't wear a skinny tie or a wide tie?

I thought wearing a wide tie makes you look like wearing your dad's ? :suspicious:

Like he said, it depends on your suit cut. If you're wearing a suit with very trim(narrow) lapels, don't wear a wide tie, it'll clash and make you look bad. Same thing in the opposite direction; if you're wearing a traditional or wider lapel, don't go for a skinny tie. It makes you look fatter as the tie seems shrunken compared to your body/suit lines.

tru_blue 03-15-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogenfruz (Post 8185432)
Here's a quick comparison of width when it comes to ties:
http://cyberoptix.com/images/colors/...Compare835.jpg
Personally, I like the look of narrow ties for a more "professional" look, and a skinny tie if it's for a social event, like a wedding or party.

Like others have said, find silk, and then basically look for a design you want for an amount you're willing to pay. I recently went to Moore's as they were having their 50% Winter Sale, and got a nice silk CK tie for about 40$.

Like he said, it depends on your suit cut. If you're wearing a suit with very trim(narrow) lapels, don't wear a wide tie, it'll clash and make you look bad. Same thing in the opposite direction; if you're wearing a traditional or wider lapel, don't go for a skinny tie. It makes you look fatter as the tie seems shrunken compared to your body/suit lines.

thanks so much !! makes much more sense now.

"Lapel" is the collar of your suit jacket right?

JLC 03-19-2013 07:38 PM

+1 for Ties | Mens Ties | Discount Neckties | Silk Neckties | Mens Silk Neckties | Extra Long Ties | Bow Ties | Cufflinks | Pocket Squares | Wool Ties | Cotton Ties (The Tie Bar)

Low priced ties...good enough quality so that you can mix it up.
Maybe if you wear ties once in a while you can get away with buying a few at $75-$100...but when you have to wear one everyday and you want some good variety of ties, tie bars, pocket square, i wouldnt even think of going anywhere else.

Good prices, great styles, decent quality.

And no you dont need to only look at 100% silk ties. Cotton, wool, wool knit ties are all very popular and fashionable these days

tru_blue 03-22-2013 09:51 PM

is this how you guys usually tie your ties for the office and other work enviroments? or do you guys tie it differently? what is the norm for ties?

miss_crayon 03-25-2013 10:52 AM

I can't give too much input since I don't wear ties but thought I'd share something my dad has always said, "A man should know ties like a woman knows shoes."

BBMme 03-31-2013 06:48 PM

I was at a buddies wedding and I think I was the only one wearing a standard tie!! Time for me to buy some skinny ties
Posted via RS Mobile

yogenfruz 03-31-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tru..azn (Post 8192353)
is this how you guys usually tie your ties for the office and other work enviroments? or do you guys tie it differently? what is the norm for ties?

How to Tie a Half Windsor Knot | Art of Manliness - YouTube

Pretty much the go-to knot. I didn't even realize that's the knot I tie, I just always knew "this is how to tie a tie."

For the most part, people aren't going to pay attention to what the knot looks like, unless you do a shoddy job and it's loose or crooked. Just practice a few in the mirror to get it down.

Also, JLC: Thank you for that site, if they're as good as they look, I'll be buying from there for now on.

unit 04-01-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 8183681)

not only that but all of these things should depend somewhat on your body type.

fat guys wearing skinny ties just looks especially wrong. it accentuates your body type by contrast.

JLC 04-01-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogenfruz (Post 8200124)
Pretty much the go-to knot. I didn't even realize that's the knot I tie, I just always knew "this is how to tie a tie."

For the most part, people aren't going to pay attention to what the knot looks like, unless you do a shoddy job and it's loose or crooked. Just practice a few in the mirror to get it down.

Also, JLC: Thank you for that site, if they're as good as they look, I'll be buying from there for now on.

My standards might not be the same as yours, but I like to think I have fairly high standards when it comes to clotihng or anything else for that matter.

The great thing is they offer free returns as well so if you don't like it, return it :)