REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #26
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
wait wait wait...

all the signs should be 33.33/33.33/33.33, they totally forgot about french!!!

they should realise, these businesses aren't targeting them.

richmond will never do it.

i went to the queens diamond jubilee award ceremony in richmond.
almost all the recipients were chinese. most havent even been in the country for more than 10 years. they were awarded the medal for political reasons. everything is HIGHLY political.

Malcolm Brodie was like one of the few white guys in the whole room. he's very cozy with the chinese, obviously.

i'm just gonna go out and say it, the chinese have taken a foothold and basically taken over richmond. richmond IS chinatown.

things change, areas change. you adapt. or try to fight it, but you must realise when you're fighting a losing battle. the chinese dictate how richmond is run. end of story.

MB has to if he wants to be Mayor of Richmond for a long time. If he gets Honorary Chinese Status from the eyes of the Chinese voters (especially the older ones), he is set. Tons of allies, very few enemies. Once he runs for Premiere, he's got the Asian votes locked down.
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #27
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Didn't read the thread but I read the article in the Sun

and she's not trying to remove the chinese signs she just wants some english/french signage on those same buildings because she has no idea what those establishments are and to be multicultural and inclusive of all she believes there should be signage with the official languages as well like Aberdeen Centre

I happen to agree with that sentiment I can understand how those residents may feel lost in their own hometown and disconnected by their multicultural neighbours because they are seemingly unwelcoming

might be a better artcile since the title of the one in the op seems skewed http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Chi...095/story.html
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #28
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
This ain't Quebec. Private businesses should be private, as in they can do whatever the fuck is legal and run however they want.

Welcome to a free country. If you dislike that, go to North Korea.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #29
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
I'm all for the English bit, but having French is just going to confuse people in this province.
2/3 of the sign though? damn, do these people not realize that this means we are going to see a lot of "english-ized Chinese" that you (nor anyone else) will be able to understand anyways? (YAOHAN, TSIM TSAI NOODLES, SUN KEE... shit like that you know what I mean)
Old 03-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #30

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
1) Maybe they only want to attract chinese customers. If I design an ad that wants to attract male gamers, am I going to put hello kitty and stuff related to fruits and vegetables?

2) Maybe the owner just doesn't know english. When did people who immigrate to Canada HAVE TO learn english? You live in a community with the majority of one ethnic, you're going to have to adapt to it.

3) If you're so curious as to what those chinese signs says, maybe you should get off your ass and find out. When someone's curious/interest in my language, why the hell should I go learn yours to introduce mine?
wanting to attract only chinese customers is a little discriminating dont you think?

maybe the owner should LEARN english then. if i were to walk into a store and the server didnt speak a fucking word of english i would seriously flip out at him/her..

why should i get off my ass to find out? its not the language were born and raised to speak here. they should be going out of their way to learn our language...after all...they flew here...we grew here. theres a picture floating around somewhere of a bikers jacket saying something along the lines of "i will not go out of my way to learn your language in my country". if i want to learn the language, sure, ill take classes and learn. if i have to learn just to get around in my own city....thats pretty fucked up in my books.

--edit--

i dont care if their signs have their language on it...but the majority of it should be in either english or french.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #31
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
If I decide to move to China, I would try my best to learn Chinese, so why is it so hard to do the same here?

You are coming here from somewhere else, I would at least expect you to add some sort of english to your signage so that I can at least understand what your establishment is.

Seriously, it's not racist or rude on our part, it's proper etiquette. When you travel or move somewhere else, you are expected to at least show some form of respect for the primary language and/or culture of the land.

If you've already been here all your life, I really have no idea why you would omit english from any of your signage.

Oh yeah, and the activists aren't trying to "remove Chinese signs", they are asking that english and/or french be INCLUDED in the sign. Misleading title.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #32
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
i don't go to richmond because i just don't really feel welcome there (it's also because of the terrible drivers, and fact that i live downtown, so have little reason to go there)... but the signage, or lack of english/french signage is a problem.

i thought there was a law to say that at least 50% by size had to be an official language?

i'd like to go to richmond to eat chinese food, foods from all parts of china, i think a bit more help on the part of signage with at least some english would make me more inclined to spend my money in richmond
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #33
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
I'm all for the English bit, but having French is just going to confuse people in this province.
2/3 of the sign though? damn, do these people not realize that this means we are going to see a lot of "english-ized Chinese" that you (nor anyone else) will be able to understand anyways? (YAOHAN, TSIM TSAI NOODLES, SUN KEE... shit like that you know what I mean)
I don't think anyone is asking for the names of a company to be Anglophone-ised (much like Quebec activists asking companies like Wal-Mart and Best Buy to change their names into French translations). I think this is alluding more to signs that are pure characters and nothing else.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #34
Head Moderator

Quote:
1) Maybe they only want to attract chinese customers. If I design an ad that wants to attract male gamers, am I going to put hello kitty and stuff related to fruits and vegetables?

2) Maybe the owner just doesn't know english. When did people who immigrate to Canada HAVE TO learn english? You live in a community with the majority of one ethnic, you're going to have to adapt to it.

3) If you're so curious as to what those chinese signs says, maybe you should get off your ass and find out. When someone's curious/interest in my language, why the hell should I go learn yours to introduce mine?
1) Point partially conceded, but you're also severely limiting your market. Not particularly good for business.

2) I thought you had to take a CELPIP (English proficiency test) in order to immigrate into Canada?

3) I agree... if I'm going to China. Or Germany. Or Uganda. Not if I'm going to drive to the next city over.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #35
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #36
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Seeing a store name like "Big Crazy" doesn't really make me want to go there.

Just sayin'.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:

And the black people should sit in the back right? Retarded
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #38
I don't get it

Whoever paid for the ads get to put what the fuck they want it. If these activists wants to get rid of it. Tell them to stfu and buy it all out if not , stop crying.

Cash is king bro.
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #39
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
i'm up for 70/30 english/chinese.

i grew up in richmond all my life and it wasnt always this way. atleast, not the way i remember it. there has always been a predominant asian (mostly chinese) presence and back in the day it seemed like people somewhat assimilated to Canadian culture (e.g. make efforts to learn/speak english, western mannerisms, etc...) but now that shits all gone straight out the window

atleast a half hearted attempt would be appreciated.

i'm not chinese but i am asian. I enjoy eating chinese food but sometimes i go into a restaurant wanting to try something new and the entire menu is in mandarin/canto and the entire staff dont speak any english....

the only places i've had somewhat success is when they have picture menus so i can point at shit and say "I WANT THIS". when i ask for the bill i just raise my hand and when i get someones attention i make a gesture in the air that looks like i'm scribbling with a pen (asking for the bill).

i think a 70/30 policy would not only allow people from other cultures to enjoy the chinese one but also for new chinese immigrants to practice their english and enjoy other cultures as well.

i know someones gonna peg me as a racist but hey, even for you CBC's out there, haven't you ever had someone come up to you and be really really annoying in mandarin and expect you to speak it? and i bet in the back of your head you were saying "god learn some fucking english"
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #40
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
i don't go to richmond because i just don't really feel welcome ... the signage, or lack of english/french signage is a problem.

i'd like to go to richmond to eat chinese food, foods from all parts of china, i think a bit more help on the part of signage with at least some english would make me more inclined to spend my money in richmond
Thank you.

I've often felt somewhat unwelcome in Richmond.

I've not experienced the feeling elsewhere, even when a similar balance of cultures exists.

I think, correcting that is very important to the long-term vitality of Richmond.

The bylaw would be improved by making the requirement unilateral and requiring an official language be given at least equal prominence to that of any other language. I oppose a split, because it would be difficult to track and enforce on a city wide scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR
i'm not chinese but i am asian. I enjoy eating chinese food but sometimes i go into a restaurant wanting to try something new and the entire menu is in mandarin/canto and the entire staff dont speak any english....

the only places i've had somewhat success is when they have picture menus so i can point at shit and say "I WANT THIS". when i ask for the bill i just raise my hand and when i get someones attention i make a gesture in the air that looks like i'm scribbling with a pen (asking for the bill).
I've had this issue too. It's a very strange situation.

Ultimately, I've just stopped going to Chinese restaurants in Richmond.

Notably, I've never experienced this in Indian restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspirit View Post
Whoever paid for the ads get to put what the fuck they want it. If these activists wants to get rid of it. Tell them to stfu and buy it all out if not , stop crying.

Cash is king bro.
Somehow, I doubt you'd still hold those convictions if you were in the petitioners position.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-15-2013 at 05:17 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #41
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

That's because growing up, the chinese were more HK. HK chinese is kinda like Eldar, proud, but wise enough to engage the world when necessary.

These new mainland Chinese, well, they are more like ZERG. or Tyrannids They consume everything and turn it into their own DNA.

May Chaos save us all! Blood for the Blood Gods!

7seven: I really can't stand all these idiots who hit the gym now just because they watched 300 and want to be like a spartan. Case in point, this skinny guy comes into the gym the other day, must have only weighed ~ 140lbs, loads on 2 plates on the bench rack, mutters to himself, for sparta, unracks the barbell and proceeds to drop it directly on his chest.
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #42
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post

i grew up in richmond all my life and it wasnt always this way. atleast, not the way i remember it. there has always been a predominant asian (mostly chinese) presence and back in the day it seemed like people somewhat assimilated to Canadian culture (e.g. make efforts to learn/speak english, western mannerisms, etc...) but now that shits all gone straight out the window

i think a 70/30 policy would not only allow people from other cultures to enjoy the chinese one but also for new chinese immigrants to practice their english and enjoy other cultures as well.

i know someones gonna peg me as a racist but hey, even for you CBC's out there, haven't you ever had someone come up to you and be really really annoying in mandarin and expect you to speak it? and i bet in the back of your head you were saying "god learn some fucking english"
Funny thing that you're probably too young to know is that Richmond used to be basically a white farm community not too long ago. It wasn't until the 90's that a mass influx of immigrants from various Asian countries started.

I do kinda agree, though. During the 90's there was definitely a different style going on when it came to running a business. Sure, it might have been due to the fact that there was no fully established Asian community in the area so business owners did everything they could to attract the white community, but I think it's also a bit of the old school mentality that did it. I have absolutely nothing but respect for someone who immigrates into a foreign country and try to make a name for themselves by opening up a new business. Everything is new to them, usually even the language, but they persevere and work their asses off. I don't care what part of the world you're from; huge kudos to anyone doing that. However, as you said, the new generation that's around seem to have a me-me-me mentality and often can't be bothered to co-exist with an established community, much less anyone else that may reside outside of that community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valour View Post
That's because growing up, the chinese were more HK. HK chinese is kinda like Eldar, proud, but wise enough to engage the world when necessary.

These new mainland Chinese, well, they are more like ZERG. or Tyrannids They consume everything and turn it into their own DNA.

May Chaos save us all! Blood for the Blood Gods!
Tyrannids. Wow. Haven't heard that word for a long time.

W40K
Old 03-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #43
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
So IF this even gets past council, whos paying for the signs afterwards?
And then the signs get done somehow, will these same people complain they can't be serviced in English? I've seen this at Lido before.

Its not gonna happen, because the people protesting this will never support the business' that will be forced to change.

I will just leave this here

Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #44
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
maybe the owner should LEARN english then. if i were to walk into a store and the server didnt speak a fucking word of english i would seriously flip out at him/her..

Happened to me in downtown Vancouver at a couple of stores. One, the guy was Korean. He was in his 20s and just kept repeating that he didn't understand what I wanted.

The second was an older Punjabi guy, maybe in his 40s or 50s. He scanned my item and I handed him a coupon. He looked at me like he had no idea what was supposed to happen next. After I asked him if they no longer accepted that coupon it became obvious that he had no way to communicate with me.

I knew I wasn't allowed to be frustrated because I'm white but I made sure never to go back to those places again.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #45
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post

these stupid smilies add nothing to the conversation and if anything make me think of you as a kid that runs around doing real life meme faces and yelling "TROLOLOLOLOLOL" in their face.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #46
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
If I decide to move to China, I would try my best to learn Chinese, so why is it so hard to do the same here?

You are coming here from somewhere else, I would at least expect you to add some sort of english to your signage so that I can at least understand what your establishment is.

Seriously, it's not racist or rude on our part, it's proper etiquette. When you travel or move somewhere else, you are expected to at least show some form of respect for the primary language and/or culture of the land.

If you've already been here all your life, I really have no idea why you would omit english from any of your signage.
Completely agree. I don't see why people immigrating here from elsewhere need to disregard the national language. There needs be some assimilation out of respect. Us locals that have been here all our life that don't speak anything but English want to enjoy parts of your culture. But when we feel like an outsider it pulls the plug on any opportunity to do so.

Unfortunately it's all politics and money so whoever has the money will be calling the shots.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #47

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
Happened to me in downtown Vancouver at a couple of stores. One, the guy was Korean. He was in his 20s and just kept repeating that he didn't understand what I wanted.

The second was an older Punjabi guy, maybe in his 40s or 50s. He scanned my item and I handed him a coupon. He looked at me like he had no idea what was supposed to happen next. After I asked him if they no longer accepted that coupon it became obvious that he had no way to communicate with me.

I knew I wasn't allowed to be frustrated because I'm white but I made sure never to go back to those places again.
Exactly

People wonder why "white people are so racist"... It's not that I'm racist, I just get pissed off when I'm being restricted to where I can go shop/eat at in my own city because the workers there don't speak a word of English. I don't care if they butcher the English language while trying to speak...at least put the effort in to be able to communicate to me in English..

what if i had some sort of an allergy to a very specific ingredient such as peanuts? i try to ask the servers if theres any peanuts or anything thats touched them in there, and all they can do is shake there head with a smile on doing the "nonono". if i eat and have to be stabbed with an eppy pen and go to a hospital, im taking you to small claims court for negligence and all my medical bills emotional trauma and whatever else i can think of to fuck that place over.

Last edited by stewie; 03-15-2013 at 06:39 PM.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #48
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
these stupid smilies add nothing to the conversation and if anything make me think of you as a kid that runs around doing real life meme faces and yelling "TROLOLOLOLOLOL" in their face.
how'd you know...?
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #49

As someone who has lived overseas in another country that has a completely different official language, I believe its the duty of the person to learn that official language. I didn't go speaking a foreign language to people in another country and expect my needs to be met, i had to struggle my ass off to communicate. I think that it should be similar here. A restaurant should have a menu in English + whatever other language they want. Stores should have staff that are able to communicate to a customer in English. etc.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #50
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
U can't get people to learn another language if I can get all my daily needs in my own language

Theres a cantonese/mandarin hotline for

Shaw
BC Hydro
Terasen
TelCo
Banks
Mortgage brokers
Doctors
Daily needs such as entertainment, food and all the good stuff

But hey, I think richmond is fine.. because although these people have their reasons, they need to show me they are willing to support the very same business
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote