REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #376
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
there was a hobby shop in new west up 6th ave. the sign was only in japanese. how i had to describe to others was to go up 6th street (or was it 6th ave....anyhow...) and look for the small sign only in japanese.

even if its a name, maybe a crude translation of the name would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKam View Post
I agree with you but how many restaurants only have chinese signage? Personally, I've never had that scenario play out for me where I can't read something.

Taking this a step further (assuming there is a plethora or chinese only signage), what about italian/french/greek restaurants? Instead of Mario's ristorante should it also have Mario's restaurant on the signage as well? You can't apply the proposed change to only one language, it needs to be done universally.
Advertisement

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #377
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
i have a feeling this whole thread is going sideways.

next thing you know it, im being called a racist because i ordered the black sesame seed pudding because i didnt order a white version of it (if there is such a thing)

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #378
I don't get it

hotshot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #379
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkam
I agree with you but how many restaurants only have chinese signage? Personally, I've never had that scenario play out for me where I can't read something.

Taking this a step further (assuming there is a plethora or chinese only signage), what about italian/french/greek restaurants? Instead of Mario's ristorante should it also have Mario's restaurant on the signage as well? You can't apply the proposed change to only one language, it needs to be done universally.
That's very pertinent, however, ristorante, caffé, and café are examples of linguistic importation. They've been taken directly from Italian and French languages, respectively, without modification, and have become English words. I can think of restaurants with strictly Italian or French names, but they have English translations on the signs as well.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #380
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Manic had this question too.

I'll expand to this.

In the early pages, a mattress business was criticized.

A Chinese radio station caters only to Chinese speaking people, that's totally cool. A Chinese radio station cannot cater to non-Chinese speaking people, that's understandable and acceptable. Mattresses do not intrinsically appeal to a single ethnicity or speakers of a specific language. Mattresses appeal to all people, indiscriminately and equally. The mattress business dedicated considerable effort to Chinese advertising and cursory effort to English advertising, though. The mattress business's advertising implies, it's very predominantly interested in attracting Chinese speaking customers and not very interested in English speaking ones. And the advertising is likely successful, I suspect they have a ninety-five percent or higher Chinese Canadian customer base. In the Lower Mainland, and even Richmond, English is the dominant language. That being the case, the mattress business's choice to appeal to specifically Chinese customers is an anomaly. One, which I believe, can only be explained by an attempt to segregate itself. That's segregation is what I take issue with, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the community being Chinese Canadian. I would be equally opposed to a Caucasian community avoiding visible minorities.

twdm's earlier posts were largely ad homs, which is why he was so sharply criticized for them.
All of this is conjecture. I have highlighted where it's all your opinion without sufficient proof. It's like saying you only go to Vancouver or Burnaby ergo you hate Richmond. But that is baseless as it could just be you have no business in Richmond that would require you to come here.If this ONE specific mattress business is SPECIFICALLY saying, we do not want any other race/culture to shop here, I am sure you could have the AD removed with a formal complaint. If it doesn't and all it sounds to you is as if they didn't want you to shop there then you have no basis for this argument that they want Segregation.

Segregation in itself is where they force you to shop in different parts of the store or go to different toilets eat in different parts of the restaurant. Having a preference to advertise to certain people is just smart marketing because they know they can save on advertising costs and make more money from a specific target market. Say I am trying to sell a Beer that usually only people from Legal Drinking Age(LDA)-30 drink. And I get a rush of consumers. Do you think I will be catering to everyone or focusing on the LDA-30 consumers? But what is that case would I be ageist? No it's not because I AM still catering to them but putting more focus in the target market that is MORE likely to buy the product.

Quote:
That's very pertinent, however, ristorante, caffé, and café are examples of linguistic importation. They've been taken directly from Italian and French languages, respectively, without modification, and have become English words. I can think of restaurants with strictly Italian or French names, but they have English translations on the signs as well.
Do note that ristorante and caffé were not imported from Italian and French. They are not in the English Dictionary. They are only valid because you are able to understand it and accept it. But when it comes to Chinese where the languages roots are completely different AND you can't be bothered to learn it. That's when you have trouble accepting it.

Last edited by pyros1; 03-23-2013 at 08:51 AM.
pyros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #381
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyros1 View Post
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

I welcome intelligent discussion and criticisms, your posts are not either.

You're arguing on the basis of very superficial understandings of concepts and definitions, which does not progress this or any other discussion. Your issue is not an uncommon one, so please accept this criticism and apply it going forward. While I commend your efforts, I will not respond to further posts by you.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-23-2013 at 09:40 AM.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #382
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
This might be off topic but I work in tech support and more and more often I have people calling in and just start saying stuff in Chinese. Now if you start speaking English to them over 70% of them will respone back in English and the rest just keep saying Chinese.

What I don't get it is those 70% people are fully capable of speaking English just fine so why not speak English. This is after all Canada where English is one of the offical language. Co=worker always complain people who come to Canada should be test for basic communication skills, if they fail they need to learn English or French. I think this isn't a bad idea. What if say someone is robbing your house or someone is injury in your house and when you call 911 the other person on the line can't understand a thing you say coz you only speak Chinese. It is a very dangerous.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #383
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
I welcome intelligent discussion and criticisms, your posts are not either.

You're arguing on the basis of very superficial understandings of concepts and definitions, which does not progress this or any other discussion. Your issue is not an uncommon one, so please accept this criticism and apply it going forward. While I commend your efforts, I will not respond to further posts by you.
Aren't you just glad that we have Freedom of Expression that allows you to tell me how you feel and that it's not
Quote:
In Canada, there's no right to freedom of expression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
This might be off topic but I work in tech support and more and more often I have people calling in and just start saying stuff in Chinese. Now if you start speaking English to them over 70% of them will respone back in English and the rest just keep saying Chinese.

What I don't get it is those 70% people are fully capable of speaking English just fine so why not speak English. This is after all Canada where English is one of the offical language. Co=worker always complain people who come to Canada should be test for basic communication skills, if they fail they need to learn English or French. I think this isn't a bad idea. What if say someone is robbing your house or someone is injury in your house and when you call 911 the other person on the line can't understand a thing you say coz you only speak Chinese. It is a very dangerous.
With Ecomm911 they have 24hour interpretation services that's available at an instants notice. And as mentioned before as soon as you call in, your location is being tracked So they have your location down to a very small error in case they need to find you.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #384
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
Quote:

LOL you get that with Quebecois at the cruise terminal. You know they all can speak damm English but they choose not to. Just drive them into asking a question... perfect english or else fuck all french.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:25 AM   #385
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
A Chinese radio station caters only to Chinese speaking people, that's totally cool. A Chinese radio station cannot cater to non-Chinese speaking people, that's understandable and acceptable. Mattresses do not intrinsically appeal to a single ethnicity or speakers of a specific language. Mattresses appeal to all people, indiscriminately and equally. The mattress business dedicated considerable effort to Chinese advertising and cursory effort to English advertising, though. The mattress business's advertising implies, it's very predominantly interested in attracting Chinese speaking customers and not very interested in English speaking ones. And the advertising is likely successful, I suspect they have a ninety-five percent or higher Chinese Canadian customer base. In the Lower Mainland, and even Richmond, English is the dominant language. That being the case, the mattress business's choice to appeal to specifically Chinese customers is an anomaly. One, which I believe, can only be explained by an attempt to segregate itself. That's segregation is what I take issue with, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the community being Chinese Canadian. I would be equally opposed to a Caucasian community avoiding visible minorities.
So I have two questions.
#1. Should a Chinese-language radio station have their signs and advertisements in english as well.
#2. Do you even know the seahorse brand of mattresses?

If you don't even know that brand of mattresses, why do they even bother advertising it to you? It's like advertising Jay Chou or some famous asian singer to a redneck. What is the point? Because there's english, they're all of a sudden going to buy his CDs?

Anyways, there's no point in trying to change the minds of our caucasian overlords. They've even fooled the natives into believing white culture is canadian culture. They can continue to be angry and realize no one else shares their viewpoints while watching their culture crumble around them. Kind of like christians trying to force their beliefs on everyone and see how that worked out.

Last edited by twdm; 03-24-2013 at 02:36 AM.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #386
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
So I have two questions.
#1. Should a Chinese-language radio station have their signs and advertisements in english as well.

If you don't even know that brand of mattresses, why do they even bother advertising it to you? It's like advertising Jay Chou or some famous asian singer to a redneck. What is the point? Because there's english, they're all of a sudden going to buy his CDs?

Anyways, there's no point in trying to change the minds of our caucasian overlords. They've even fooled the natives into believing white culture is canadian culture. They can continue to be angry and realize no one else shares their viewpoints while watching their culture crumble around them. Kind of like christians trying to force their beliefs on everyone and see how that worked out.
actually, Chinese radio does have english on their ads, to aid the speak only. Case in point, I still stand behind the fact that all this signage crap should be left the same.
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2013, 03:44 AM   #387
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
So I have two questions.

1. No, I do not. Cantonese/Mandarin/Punjabi radio stations appeal only those who speak the language, therefore ethnically targeted advertising is justifiable. Cases such as these are rare, but I'd happily exempt any business which fits the model. DarthChilli is correct though, Fairchild has extensive English text on its website; its an interesting point that they have a market of consumers who speak but do not read a language. I hadn't considered that.

2. No, I'm not familiar with Seahorse Mattresses. I have only the most cursory familiarity with North American mattress brands too, though. I have no mattress brand loyalty, I simply purchase the most comfortable option available at a given price point. In my experience, this is most consumers take on mattress shopping.

You've returned to ad hominems and straw mans, which is unfortunate. You're able to present a reasonable argument, although somewhat repetitive. I'm not sure why you're undermining them with blatant logical fallacies.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-24-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:57 AM   #388
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:

I find that very rude for someone to just start speaking in English.
When I call someone/business that I don't know, I ALWAYS start with English - then work my way to Chinese if it's necessary (or I feel that the other party's english just won't cut it). Parents do the same... it's what they taught me; Canada speaks English au Francais!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #389
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Quote:
1. No, I do not. Cantonese/Mandarin/Punjabi radio stations appeal only those who speak the language, therefore ethnically targeted advertising is justifiable. Cases such as these are rare, but I'd happily exempt any business which fits the model. DarthChilli is correct though, Fairchild has extensive English text on its website; its an interesting point that they have a market of consumers who speak but do not read a language. I hadn't considered that.
Although I believe things should stay the same. Having english is the rather important to some when it comes to preserving and teaching the CBC folk who wishes to learn or for those that enjoy the ehtinic media
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #390
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Not to derail the original point of this thread, but does anyone know how CanCon law is applied to foreign-language radio stations?
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #391
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Not to derail the original point of this thread, but does anyone know how CanCon law is applied to foreign-language radio stations?
foreign language content can still be canadian. it doesn't have to be english.

if i make something, and it's in chinese it counts, cuz i'm canadian.

advertisements that are from canadian source. the talk show hosts can blab on, they're canadian.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #392
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
Quote:
Man, you and your xenophobic posts.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #393
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyros1 View Post
Do note that ristorante and caffé were not imported from Italian and French. They are not in the English Dictionary. They are only valid because you are able to understand it and accept it. But when it comes to Chinese where the languages roots are completely different AND you can't be bothered to learn it. That's when you have trouble accepting it.
Incorrect.

Dim Sum.
Pho.
Sushi.

These are items of Asian decent that have entered the 'english' lexicon as representing whatever the fuck dim sum(small dishes of stuff that looks weird?) is, a singular, big bowl of delicious soup(#19 at Purple Lotus, you should check it out) and raw fish served on fancy plates respectively.

Learned it. Accepted it. More than that...I eat 2 of the 3 on a fairly regular basis. Really, #19 at Purple Lotus, you should check it out. It's worth the 2 minutes drive from the next closest pho restaurant.

So here's a tip-get off the cross.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #394
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
i have a feeling this whole thread is going sideways.

next thing you know it, im being called a racist because i ordered the black sesame seed pudding because i didnt order a white version of it (if there is such a thing)
umm... aren't you suppose to order the yellow version?
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #395
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Incorrect.

Dim Sum.
Pho.
Sushi.

These are items of Asian decent that have entered the 'english' lexicon as representing whatever the fuck dim sum(small dishes of stuff that looks weird?) is, a singular, big bowl of delicious soup(#19 at Purple Lotus, you should check it out) and raw fish served on fancy plates respectively.

Learned it. Accepted it. More than that...I eat 2 of the 3 on a fairly regular basis. Really, #19 at Purple Lotus, you should check it out. It's worth the 2 minutes drive from the next closest pho restaurant.

So here's a tip-get off the cross.
So then you should have no issue with 點心 or 壽司 since they are of Asian descent and you technically have become acclimatized to it. Since what you listed is just the Romanji version of those characters.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #396
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
lol Romaji...
Old 03-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #397
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
lol Romaji...
Indeed. Romaji is the Japanese word used when "romanizing" Japanese words. I think what he meant was the "Romanization" of those dishes.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #398
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Indeed. Romaji is the Japanese word used when "romanizing" Japanese words. I think what he meant was the "Romanization" of those dishes.
Haha in Mandarin it's basically Romanji as well... But yes some restaurants do change the style of their cooking to appeal to our palates that strays from the traditional dishes.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #399
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
There's a punjabi station that broadcasts out of Blaine to skirt the CanCon law....
Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #400
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
What the fuck are you talking about?

Natives haven't been "fooled" by anyone, they are human beings, and they still value their ancestry greatly. I didn't even know that there was a caucasian way of life, so how could it be crumbling around me? I know that I like enjoying the outdoors, having BBQ's, working on cars, and hanging out with friends, but those aren't racially exclusive activities, are they? If you know of any specific "white people" activities, please enlighten me, because I find that my "white life" corresponds with what a lot of other people like to do in this country (and around the world).

You're attaching english to caucasians like it's the 16th century, times have changed, and so has the english language. English no longer has a jurisdiction, and it does not belong to anyone of any race, it's simply a language that is used by many in many different countries. If mandarin was Canada's official language, I would be speaking it, but it's not. This is why I find this english debate rediculous, as it does not pertain to any race at all, and yet many seem to take it as such.

We speak english and french here, mostly english, therefore I find it offensive that some people choose to completely disregard it when they CHOOSE to move here.

Your post is indirectly racist and you should feel bad.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: