REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
help: shipping out an item in WA (duty fees)

i searched but i couldnt find anything..

i am trying to sell and ship out my old differential to a guy in Florida
but due to the heavy weight of the diff and expensive shipping cost from Canada, i've considered travelling across the border in Sumas, WA and ship it out from one of the shipping facilities there.

Now my question is, how does duty and taxing work in this case? is it just regular duty of 12% but just the other way around with me having to pay for it?

if this is the case.. i assume i have to provide papers and receipts at the border to verify the value of the item.. However, the guy that is buying my diff is willing to send me paypal AFTER i give him the tracking number. He is a reputable long term diff rebuilder on s2ki so i am not worried about getting scammed.. its just i wont have any papers or receipts to prove the value of the diff..
Advertisement
jpark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,054 Times in 231 Posts
When you cross, they'll ask intent of visit. You then tell them you're selling a car part. I'd make sure you tell them it's a stock car differential and not some high end modified part.

If you're lucky, they'll let you slide and you can go ahead and ship it off.

The other alternative is that you get pulled in and have to pay this like $10 fee for bringing in a product that you intend to sell.

It's a grey area because you're not a business trying to sell an item to a US citizen (therefore ruining the US economy because you took away an American sale!) and you're merely trying to conduct a consumer-consumer transaction. Make sure you also bring up you're not trying to make money off this part and that its a part off your car that you're simply trying to sell to recoupe some money.

Reference: I shipped my CCW's out from Bellingham and was pulled in to pay the small fee. Essentially like an import tax.
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
^ this

i went PR to ship new coilovers once, they asked me why im coming into the states , told him and he gave me a slip and told me to pull in. once inside they asked what i was shipping and i showed him the stuff. they ask you a price for the item, which i told em and i paid a % of that. something like..25$ since my package was "worth" 500$

just do it J, its still INCREDIBLY cheap lol

canada fedex quoted me 250$ , and i said shipped it from states for 78$ (+25$ so just over a 100) lol

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
I've had good and smooth sailing experiences going through Blaine as opposed to Point Roberts shipping stuff (primarily to my family in Los Angeles.)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I have shipped items I sell using TSB shipping (in Point Roberts) for ebay and Paypal transactions.

I would fill out this form in advanced:

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_7523.pdf

For goods sold from $200 - $4000 USD to US customers, you pay a $10 USD fee (this is what the border officer told me).