REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
VIP Old School Elite

Cost of repaving driveway?

I am wondering if anyone here have repaved their driveway with cement.

This is ripping out the current one, and laying down the metal and then repouring concrete.

Our driveway parks 2 cars and is about 1.5 car widths wide. I got a quote for 4000 dollars including widening our sidewalk and pouring cement in the backyard as well to create bigger patio which will be 7ft X 10ft long.

I got a couple of quotes and 4000 is the cheapest, but is that a good deal? 4000 to replace a mega cracked driveway seems kind of steep still.
Advertisement
Supersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Is it possible to lay on top of the old one? Its always cheaper that way.

Price is also dependent on thickness and composite used.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
I don't get it

I had my driveway done last summer. It's about 27' x 27' x 6" thick and it cost me $9500 before taxes. They took away all the old concrete and some of the soil underneath because the house builder had left a lot of the garbage and built the driveway over top. They then laid down sand and gravel, compacted the whole area down and then laid down wire mesh before the pour.

Get three estimates and have it in writing what preparations they are going to do before pouring, and what kind of cement they are using. There is a difference in grades.

If you get it done, keep in mind what kind of finish you want. I had them do a smooth finish but I found it gets slippery especially this time of the year where algae has started growing in areas that we don't drive or walk on. Have to brush the areas down with a broom a couple of times a week and wash the stuff away.

Don't forget to seal it after a month. My neighbour didn't and the salt dripping off the cars during the winter cause the concrete to spall. I used a sealant from National Concrete that reacted with something in the cement and prevents salt and water from soaking in but still allows the concrete to breathe. Hope this helps.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
VIP Old School Elite

Thanks for the info. I hired the cheapest guy. He is going to remove the old driveway, lay down metal mesh and repour cement for us.

Did you seal the concrete yourself?
Supersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
I don't get it

Yeah, I sealed it myself. Don't use the stuff from Behr that Home Depot sells. It seals the concrete but also makes it shiny and slippery when wet. The rep from Behr emailed me and said I could put in a additive that keeps it from being slippery but would need to be recoated every two or three years.

The stuff from National Concrete just soaks in and the concrete looks like normal concrete except slightly darker. Really easy to do, just make sure the surface is clean and use a paint roller to spread it around. Not cheap stuff though, I think it was $170 for a five gallon bucket.

Before the guy pours the cement for the driveway, I think you should ask him to make sure the ground is solid. Otherwise you'll get hollows when everything settles and the driveway won't have any support. My old driveway was like that, I could hear echoes when I dragged my floor jack across it.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Lets not forget here, your doing CONCRETE.

This day and age, even the city goes with asphalt over concrete because of the shear cost. $4000 is probably a bit LOW for the amount your getting.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
this might be a stretch for you, there is this rubber/resin mix i have layed in the past when i worked for a company, eccentially you coat the top of the driveway with 3-5" of rubber, it looks great and it was pretty cheap from my understanding, the driveway was 2 car wide, 4-5 long and it was only a couple "give or take" grand we charged, myself and 2 others did it in a 9 hour day

heres a link as an example of what it is, this isnt the company i worked for, just a google search to show you

Latest Projects | BC Eco Paving
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepywheel View Post
Before the guy pours the cement for the driveway, I think you should ask him to make sure the ground is solid. Otherwise you'll get hollows when everything settles and the driveway won't have any support. My old driveway was like that, I could hear echoes when I dragged my floor jack across it.
I'm going to say, that if you need to ask to make sure that the ground is solid before you pour 1000's of dollars worth of concrete on it-I would probably spend a bit more on the company you are using.

There are differences in the type of aggregate that is used(some used broken up concrete-cheap, others use a proper mix of gravel and sand) how much compression, and how much of the old substrate is removed to add new.

The other thing is, paving companies can be notorious on extra charges for dealing with the substrate. I wasn't too impressed when the company that did our parking lot was like, "yeah, we had to remove a dumptruck of the old base and use extra new gravel to compensate" I like to be informed of the changes to pricing as they happen. Makes me feel like I had a say in the matter. In the grand scheme, it wasn't that much extra, but I'm always cautious especially where I'm spending other people's money. Puts it on me that I need to tell them that the bill that we thought was 18k, was 19.5 you know?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote