REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #51
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
I know this may come as a shock to a car forum, but... there are people whose lives don't actually revolved around vehicles and the fastest, most flashy way to get from A to B. I have plenty of friends and acquaintances who live in Yaletown or downtown and never NEED to go more than about 6 blocks from home - owning a car and carrying all its expenses is just wasteful when you use it MAYBE once a month. Some of them have licenses and use Zipcar or Car2Go the odd time they need wheels, but even that is rare.

Strangely, these people still manage to have busy, fulfilling lives...
That's exactly what I plan to do in a couple years when I move down there and live the downtown life for a while. Sell my cars and get around via Transit/Car2Go/Taxi. I'm downtown 90% of the time when I'm not at home anyway.

Right now I live in East Van, and the only times I really use my car is to get to work and the studio, which is all downtown. I still park at a skytrain station and take transit or car2go now and then, depending on where I'm going. I car2go downtown and taxi home if I'm planning to drink.

If I cut out my car expenses, that averages to roughly $800/month after gas/insurance/maintenance/whatever. That's more than enough to get around via Car2Go and transit, and hell, even some $40 cab rides and STILL have money left over.

That's just what works for me though. People who have families, or live outside of Vancouver obviously don't have the luxury of redundant transportation options, so having a car does make sense.

Also, everyone's priorities are different. I have high-6-figure earning friends living downtown who would never consider paying 20 grand for a new Civic, let alone the luxury Germans. I know this is a car forum and most people will be into pretty cars. But, different strokes for different folks.
Advertisement

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #52
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
If you lived in Vancouver, particularly downtown Vancouver, you wouldn't actually need a car.

The rise of condo living is destroying car culture also. You can't do maintenance and you have no room for tools, so if you do have to buy a car, you buy one that doesn't need to be serviced all that much.
The people not interested in cars and more interested in phones and other technology is what is killing it.

Sucks for them, because some of the BEST cars EVER are coming out now.
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #53
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
haha I can relate I worked like mad gr.10 - 11 saving to buy a g35 lool ended up saving 7k then giving up because I found out insurance was to expensive. so I just split insurance for my family car and drive that around. sucks how I only know like 1 person paying for insurance I'm grade 12.
Posted via RS Mobile
Yeah I'm also gr.12. My dad was really nice and let me put the car under his name so it was exponentially cheaper. Driving is definitely a huge privilege at our age, but people I know whine about getting a brand new A6 instead of an A7.
trix4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #54
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trix4kids View Post
Yeah I'm also gr.12. My dad was really nice and let me put the car under his name so it was exponentially cheaper. Driving is definitely a huge privilege at our age, but people I know whine about getting a brand new A6 instead of an A7.
If you think that's bad, There's a girl at my school who was given a brand new Audi A6 3.0T and refused to drive it for the first month because it was white and not black like she had "told them".
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #55
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
I hate taking transit, the only time I'll really taking transit is if I'm going downtown so I'll just hop on the skytrain and leave my car parked somewhere close to the station. I love driving as well and I mostly use my beater to get around like work etc.. because insurance and gas is pretty cheap on my vehicle.
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #56
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
If you think that's bad, There's a girl at my school who was given a brand new Audi A6 3.0T and refused to drive it for the first month because it was white and not black like she had "told them".
Funny that same girl has a white A6 LOL do you go to north...
trix4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #57
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
There was a girl in my high school who complained about getting a brand new BMW M3. Her dad kept it, and actually bought her a Ford Pinto and spray painted it with various colours. It looked so ghetto. It was awesome. She told me her dad said "Want a better car? Well, you better earn it yourself than."

She now takes the bus LOL.
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #58
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D View Post
There was a girl in my high school who complained about getting a brand new BMW M3. Her dad kept it, and actually bought her a Ford Pinto and spray painted it with various colours. It looked so ghetto. It was awesome. She told me her dad said "Want a better car? Well, you better earn it yourself than."

good, some teens these days don't appreciate the things their parents do for them.
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #59
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

it may of been easier to own a car in high school before but it definitely isn't impossible, i am in high school and i paid for every part of my car(my dad did help pay for the first mechanics vist though). It only costs me around 150 a month for insurance and the cost of gas is the same as that of a monthly bus pass
coolname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #60
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can be very irritable. I drive so that I don't have to put up with other bus riders, and they don't have to put up with me.
I am the same way, but opposite. When I was working I hated driving during most times of the day before 8pm, because I hate having to put up with douchey drivers, crappy drivers, and the sheer number of cars on the road.

Now that I'm back in school, I can appreciate transit. I can nap, day dream, read, whatever really. It may take me an extra 15-30 mins to make my trip, my bus may not show up occassionally, but my overall stress level goes down because I can take it easy during my commute instead of actually generating more anxiety.

I still keep my car insured for pleasure use when we have to go shopping, make trips, and its convenient to have a 2nd car ready to go. But having UPass and being a cheapass, I'm going to keep using transit until I'm out of school.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #61
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
Quote:

pics of said pinto

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by trix4kids View Post
Funny that same girl has a white A6 LOL do you go to north...
I don't think we're talking about the same person. Was she Indian?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolname View Post
it may of been easier to own a car in high school before but it definitely isn't impossible, i am in high school and i paid for every part of my car(my dad did help pay for the first mechanics vist though). It only costs me around 150 a month for insurance and the cost of gas is the same as that of a monthly bus pass
How the hell do you get insurance for 150 and gas for 80? My insurance is 300 a month and i pay 70 a week in gas...
Old 03-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #64
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolname View Post
What car do you own... I'm paying the price of a bus pass for gas every week.
And it's the people mentioned above that I hate, it's because of them that people have such a hate towards anyone who's parent's bought them a car.
MY PENIS IS THE SIZE OF A CIGARETTE LIGHTER! jizzing on my keyboard is hard for me! imma be fucked for life, but fuck it I'm a BITCH!

Last edited by hongy; 03-22-2013 at 07:39 PM.
hongy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:18 AM   #65
PJ

Quote:
How the hell do you get insurance for 150 and gas for 80? My insurance is 300 a month and i pay 70 a week in gas...
Plenty of older economy A to B cars are that cheap.

My EL is about that amount. ~160 a month on insurance, and ~90 a month on gas. ($45 tank lasts me around 2 weeks, or 400+ km)

My FX, however... whole different story

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 03-23-2013, 12:42 AM   #66
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
i pay about 200/month with basic + 3million + collision comprehensive crap insurance and about 100 bucks a month for gas driving a slow ass corolla
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:02 AM   #67
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
Quote:

pix or didn't happen
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #68
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
I moved here for school 3 months ago from the Island, I drove every day for an hour a day at home. I stopped driving 3 days after I arrived. There is no pleasure in driving in this city.

Everyone is trying to kill you, traffic doesn't move, no one signals. It's awful. I take the train to school and it takes 10 minutes longer than driving (35 vs 45 mins)

It's worth it for the lack of stress. I still own both my cars, I keep one insured for when I need it (pleasure use only)

But until I leave vancouver when I'm done school, the u-pass is my main form of transportation. Vancouver roads are awful. I can see why no one here wants to drive.
Which part of the island are you from? I'm only familiar with Victoria and it literally takes 1 min to drive through the entire downtown. People drove really slow there (besides on the highway) and I was certainly not used to it.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #69
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Some people just don't CARE. It isn't about access to an vehicle, but they have no interesting in driving/cars.
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #70
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
Which part of the island are you from? I'm only familiar with Victoria and it literally takes 1 min to drive through the entire downtown. People drove really slow there (besides on the highway) and I was certainly not used to it.

I would commute from east sooke to langford every day. Nice winding country roads. I didn't hit my first traffic light until I was five minutes from work.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #71
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
not surprising at all. i see my younger brother and his friends within the age group of 16-19, only one has a license.

i think its not so much to do with laziness but a change in priorities that they see important now. 6 years ago while i was in high school, my friends and i couldn't wait to get our licenses. we used to go cruising after class and nearly killed ourselves numerous times, because it was FUN. i see my brother and his friends and they're all into working out, protein shakes and true religion jeans
Posted via RS Mobile
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #72
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

i can relate to the people in the article. My car is basically used for groceries and to shuttle me to the nearest skytrain station. The U-Pass has been a godsend! That said, I still think it's kind of awkward when you talk to someone well into their 20s who doesn't even have their L.
epicbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #73
PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
i see my brother and his friends and they're all into working out, protein shakes and true religion jeans
l.m.a.o.

So keeping this line

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #74
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
The people not interested in cars and more interested in phones and other technology is what is killing it.

Sucks for them, because some of the BEST cars EVER are coming out now.
The best cars ever came out in the 90's
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #75
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
The best cars ever came out in the 90's
Back in 1990, when I was working in car audio, our store manager came in one day, all puffed up and looking like a proud new papa. He proclaimed that he had just received the biggest compliment ever on his car (an absolutely gorgeous fully-restored '68 'Cuda): he'd pulled into a 7-Eleven and walking in past a bunch of ricers and their dialed-up Civics, heard one of them say, "now THAT'S a CAR!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote