REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #76
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
Quote:
and damaging a neighbouring property
i'd be pissed if i was the neighbour. their douchebaggery is negatively affecting the community
Advertisement

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #77
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
ugh. stories like this make me want to punch kittens.
NO! END THE ABUSE! OCCUPY KITTENS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
i'd be pissed if i was the neighbour. their douchebaggery is negatively affecting the community
Fuck that, the neighbor is complicit for allowing it to happen. He deserves whatever he gets!

Quote:
Old 05-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #79
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Fuck that, the neighbor is complicit for allowing it to happen. He deserves whatever he gets!

are you saying the neighbour should have been proactive like this

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
are you saying the neighbour should have been proactive like this

HAHAHAAH YES!
Quote:
Old 05-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #81
RS controls my life!

After reading this thread I truly believe now that there is no cure for vancouvers homeless. The DTES is a shit hole, I'd rather see it back as a working class blue collar neighborhood but that is never going to happen with that awesome location and with all the industrial jobs heading out to the valley. This city is expensive and it will be expensive until those mountains dissapear or a tsunami destroys downtown. Until then the yuppie culture will continue to grow like it does, because this city is incredibly desirable, and even if houses start to cost as low as 1.5mil for a shit shack they will still be snatched up. This city is not meant for the poor, best to leave before you get kicked out. Only solution is to get rid of the people who don't contribute and build the community on the ones that do, unfortunately those characters actions are being erased by these anarchist losers and the black eye image on the streets. I haven't seen any cures from this thread. As someone pointed out, the problem is incredibly complicated.

How exactly is it possible that pidgen stays in business though? Do rich folk actually go there and eat? I walked by there last week and two homeless men were puking on the sidewalk. Didn't even bother to clean it up or nothing.

Also there used be a punk flop house where this new destroyed house sits. I remember going to a punk party in the area and hearing about the occupants were kicked out because it was unsafe. which was obvious from the caving porch roof. The house i was in the punks actually cared about their property, fixed it up and made it livable.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #82
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
If you know the area.. there is a huge disdain for multi-nationals too. the in crowd know better than to drink Starbucks.. think JJBean or Continental Coffee instead.

There are a lot of forces at work in the Commercial area.. even the old school European establishments have their say.. eg Daily Catch caught into trouble for having a food truck. I think the squatters get upset because the number of houses they can squat has decreased dramatically due to the housing market.. Houses there are usually gone in a few weeks?

Gentrification also increases density, so more people can move in.. the trouble is what are the people living in existing places go in the mean time.

However the DTES mental health team is doing a lot to improve the mental health and supportive housing there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
They also need to stop buying their venti fair trade half milk decaf triple foam chai lattes from Starbucks. Some of those "champions of the impoverished" are spoiled rich kids that took a couple of philosophy and urban history classes and think that they know the world because if it. Walking contradictions they are.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #83
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everymans View Post
Also there used be a punk flop house where this new destroyed house sits. I remember going to a punk party in the area and hearing about the occupants were kicked out because it was unsafe. which was obvious from the caving porch roof. The house i was in the punks actually cared about their property, fixed it up and made it livable.
Well, THAT makes more sense.

We're against gentrification in all forms!

When said gentrification directly impacts the location of a dilapidated yet awesome place where I used to get high.

So fuck those guys!
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #84
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
To throw a little more fuel on this fire..

so my GF's grandma lives a few blocks off comercial drive, she recently went over there for lunch and took a walk with her Gma and she said -EVERYWHERE- there are fucking stupid anarchy tags, "NO BANKS", "NO PIPELINES" tagged like fucking everywhere throughout that part of east van, mail boxes, peoples fences etc

are you fucking morons serious? anti-gentrification = destroy your own neighborhood?

I was watching a travelling show last night based in New York city and they specifically hit on the topic of gentrification within older Burroughs that had become run down and were getting very little funding from the state/city for improvements. You know what they did? THEY THEMSEVLES IMPROVED THEIR CITY! the tenants/residents renovated their buildings, cleaned up the streets, got drug dens and flop houses out of the area

These people here have a really fucked up view on things..
Old 06-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #85
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Anti-gentrification demonstrators march in DTES | Local | News | Vancouver 24 hrs

Calls to end both homelessness and condo development in Vancouver ricocheted through the streets of the Downtown Eastside Tuesday afternoon as about 100 anti-gentrification protesters marched through the impoverished neighbourhood.

Buses, trucks and cars were left idling in traffic as demonstrators blocked the intersection of Main and Hastings to rally against DTES real estate developments.

Organizers said they had collected 3,000 signatures for a petition destined for city hall that calls for an end to condo developments in the neighbourhood before social housing is available to everyone who needs it.

“The city is not listening to us,” Local Area Planning Process co-chairwoman Karen Ward told the crowd carrying signs that read ‘Gentrification is Making Our Neighbourhood Unlivable’ and ‘Rich Scum Beware Class War.’

LAPP co-chairman Herb Varley said he’s frustrated working with the city on the neighbourhood’s local area plan, which aims to revitalize the area and improve the quality of life for low-income residents.

“Every single condo unit that comes in and gets approved is a show of bad faith,” he said.

The City of Vancouver has opened six of 14 buildings designated for social housing, while another four are under construction.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Buses, trucks and cars were left idling in traffic as demonstrators blocked the intersection of Main and Hastings to rally against DTES real estate developments.

“The city is not listening to us,” Local Area Planning Process co-chairwoman Karen Ward told the crowd carrying signs that read ‘Gentrification is Making Our Neighbourhood Unlivable’ and ‘Rich Scum Beware Class War.’
Gee, I WONDER WHY THE CITY ISN'T LISTENING TO YOU?

I WOULDN'T FUCKING LISTEN TO THIS NOISE EITHER.

Start off by not being such a whiny, entitled, confrontational little bitch, and see if you don't get a lot farther with people.
Quote:
Old 06-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #87
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
how convenient they all have the same day off work
Old 06-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #88
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
wow....so....all 3000 signatures? What was the last homeless\crackhead count on the DTES?

Fuck, I hate these people...
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #89

Al-Jazeera probes gentrification controversy in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside (with video)

VANCOUVER SUN JUNE 24, 2013 10:06 PM

These protesters demonstrating in front of the restaurant Pidgin claim eateries of its ilk are contributing to the gentrification of Vancouver's Downtown Eastside and will eventually push affordable housing out of their community.
Photograph by: Arlen Redekop, PNG , Vancouver Sun
On Monday, Al Jazeera’s popular social-media-centric television show The Stream focused on the rising antagonism in Vancouver over the gentrification of the Downtown Eastside.

The show’s 35-minute panel brought Vancouver’s former chief planner Brent Toderian, longtime DTES activist Ivan Drury, Save On Meats owner Mark Brand and the anti-Pidgin restaurant protester and hunger striker known as Homeless Dave.

Read more: Al-Jazeera probes gentrification controversy in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside (with video)

I have to say.. they need better more articulated spokespeople.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #90

"Al-Jazeera probes gentrification..." by reposting a Sun article? Is this what passes for investigative reporting now, foreign news outlets re-using local fluff pieces?
Quote:
Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #91
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
"Al-Jazeera probes gentrification..." by reposting a Sun article? Is this what passes for investigative reporting now, foreign news outlets re-using local fluff pieces?
And PressTV re posts the Al-Jazeera piece who copied the Sun piece calling it "Destruction of the underprivelaged by Western capitalists".
Posted via RS Mobile
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #92
Banned By Establishment

Unrelated mini-rant:

Enough with fucking twitter already!! i am getting so tired of "follow us on here..." "Hash tag this is whats hot" "Share you comments here" "participate in the conversation here" "tweet us your ideas here". It seems that we can't advance the plot on anything until everyone has barfed out their twitter speech. #IDONTGIVEAFUCK.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #93
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
If these people worked there would be no issue. I did a search and there are at least 1400 rooms available for rent in the city of Vancouver within affordable housing guidelines.
I calculated how much a full time minimum wage worker earns annually. Then I searched using the CMHC guidelines regarding "affordable housing"

If they worked full time minimum wage and rented a place to live they would still have ~$1000 a month left to spend on crack/food etc. I added up my food bill last month and it was $133. Crack bill was $0.

My math may be wrong but if it's not these people can take a hike directly into the pacific ocean.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #94
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
^ How do you get away spending $133/month on food? I'm at a very lean 150lbs and I spend nearly $300 on food a month, excluding restaurants and beverages.

And no, I don't shop at Whole Foods.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #95

Here is something that I told a few people I interact with in the DTES to try do, bold because it is just try.. If different people make enough big pots, they can exchange what they cook with one another for variety. I just find it ironic while the people who against gentrification complain about other community, their own community often don't band together productively on the long run.

Pasta Sauce that last a whole month:
Mirepoix + Garlic (a head of celery, 4lb of carrots, a few onions, $5, $5, $2) garlic $1 $9+ 1 = $10
Frozen Peas ($3)
Ground Beef ($5)
3 tins of Tomatos ($6)
4 large tins of tomato paste ($5)
Mushrooms $10
1 Can of olive oil $10

Subtotal = $ 49

Pasta: places like Superstore or on the Drive have 900g for $2, 2 packs a week that is $16

Dinner portion $62 (you can vary with chilli and rice etc for about the same too)

Apples are 0.7 a pound, say you consume 1-2 a day for lunch etc.. say 20lbs $14 (you can substitute with bananas etc)

Say 1 egg every morning for breakfast.. 3 dozen eggs.. $8 + bread $20 + tins of fish for lunch another $20.
$48

It is not fancy feast but it is healthy and that is $124..left over money for snacks etc.

Also notice, the prices are usually list price not sale price.. so you can change a lot seasonally if you want. Heck a few weeks ago, I was on Sunshine coast, spot prawns (dock), oyster mushrooms (from the forrest), olive oil + pasta = $4.

Don't forget there are at least 3 drop in meal programs around town every day.

The problem is people who have to live within this budget don't have the mental capacity to preplan or think ahead, and/ or have the skills to cook, and/ or don't have to tools or facility. It requires perseverance and discipline and there are easier way out like ramen or fast food etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
^ How do you get away spending $133/month on food? I'm at a very lean 150lbs and I spend nearly $300 on food a month, excluding restaurants and beverages.

Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by godwin; 06-25-2013 at 01:16 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #96
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post

Posted via RS Mobile
Living at home has its perks
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #97
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Here is something that I told a few people I interact with in the DTES to try do, bold because it is just try.. If different people make enough big pots, they can exchange what they cook with one another for variety. I just find it ironic while the people who against gentrification complain about other community, their own community often don't band together productively on the long run......
Although this is good in theory and would work lovely on some hippy compound, for people on the DTES to do anything close to this, as you said, it would require some form of mental capacity. These people are not unified. We are not talking about a neighbourhood full of "living below the poverty line" families. These people are crackheads. Their priority is their next fix.

These people, at the best of times, are not worried about food. There is plenty of food for these people on the DTES. Food banks....soup kitchens...the token system...random people handing out sandwiches. These people want to shoot-up in the comfort of the inside while sitting on a couch...the biggest problem they have is that the several shelters available won't let them do this so they want their OWN home to do this in. They want all the benefits that you and I have without having to pay for it.

These people are scabbed-face crackhead scratching themselves until they can get their next hit.

This is obviously harsh, but I am tired of this shit. I am not adverse to low-income housing at all...but I want it for the elderly who are alone, hungry, and penny-less, and I want it for families who are struggling to feed their children a nutritious meal. I am tired of seeing advocates for the addicts and not the people who really need it.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #98
Banned By Establishment

The only people who are against the DTES transforming or anti-gentrification are the crack head because now they will need to find a new alley to OD in, the prostitutes because now they will have to find a new corner to work, and the drug dealers who will now need to establish new "areas of domain".

You know who who doesn't give a fuck if a starbucks opens on the corner? The families and elderly I mentioned above. Why? Because now the kid won't have to step of a passed out drunk and the wheel of the old lady's walker won't get stuck on a needle. These people could care less.

This anti-gentrification thing is just the $10 word of the day....you know what it was 10 years ago? Globalization. We have a new generation of self-righteous hiptards who feel they need to save the world by housing an addict.

Give it time....this too shall pass.

Last edited by dinosaur; 06-25-2013 at 02:51 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #99
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
I admire old architecture, that's the only change I don't want to see in the DTES, as there are some rather old buildings that still look relevant. I want to be able to walk through the DTES without feeling like I'm going to get mugged, an alleyway full of druggies to my left and right does not constitute a confident stroll. I used to live on Abbott and Pender, otherwise known as gastown / chinatown, I grew up hearing the homeless rummage through bins late at night, and walking past alleyways full of druggies in the day.

That's not even the real center of the "DTES" problem, and yet it was still a bit uncomfortable to say the least. The problem is, the people who are "stuck" in the DTES aren't willing to work, there are services to get people going in life, and yet they do not use them.

It's a problem that has a lot more to it than gentrification.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #100
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
I admire old architecture, that's the only change I don't want to see in the DTES, as there are some rather old buildings that still look relevant.
Yes!

This is one thing I am concerned about but from what I understand developers want to maintain this aesthetic and\or incorporate the facades into new development.

I can not see these projects being approved if they are planning on leveling the area.