REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #26
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
for earth hour I decided to turn off all my electronics/lights at home and go for a nice, long, drive in my horribly inefficient car

What now, earth?
Advertisement
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #27
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture_Vulture View Post
for the next 24 hours (if that long), yeah.
then what?
The mission statement is, "to encouraging households and businesses to turn off their non-essential lights for one hour to raise awareness about the need to take action on climate change." (wiki.)

Earth Hour is an opportunity for us to see the awesome effect of collective co-operation. From wiki, it was quoted that "Ontario used approximately 900 megawatt-hours less electrical energy during Earth Hour. At one point, Toronto, Ontario saw an 8.7% reduction in consumption as compared to a typical March Saturday night."

Obviously, I cherry picked this stats from all the rest of the stuff out there on the web, but the good about this topic is that we can agree that "something is better than nothing."

Additionally, Earth Hour may get people thinking about other resources we can conserve. What if you took one minute less on your shower or drove 10 less km a week?
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #28
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,438 Times in 1,436 Posts
Earth Hour in Vancouver? ROFL, I think this is what they really concern

if you ever live in Hong Kong, you will never feel guilty buying inefficient stuff in Vancouver. LOL
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #29
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I heard on the radio that less than 2% of Vancouver participated in Earth Hour.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #30
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Actually, it was a 2% decrease in power usage compared to regular draw. Apparently in Courtenay they dropped by about 10%. Just goes to show you that Earth Day in Vancouver is another IDGAF day.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #31
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
If earth hour helps educate people about a need to reduce, recycle, reuse, etc the. Great

But when people get all pissy about me going about my life as normal at that time, they can f themselves - I attempt to live as well within my carbon needs as possible, I'm probably a much better citizen to our planet than most. Just bc I don't turn off my lights for 1 hr doesn't mean I'm not aware, conscious, and active in attempts to minimize my negative effect
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #32
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,486 Times in 551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
The 2% were actually the elderly who went to bed at their usual time.
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #33
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Fucking stupidest idea ever. They should go a step further and do "like if you love earth" shit on facebook.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #34
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,355 Times in 3,445 Posts
For earth hour I unplugged my laptop from the wall.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #35
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
This sums up how I feel about Earth Hour

LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #36
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Every time I even consider this type of fundraising stunt for the green grabbers, I do a bit of research on the people behind it all..like this guy..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ira_Einhorn
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #37
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
i use longer lasting light bulbs and recycle. I produce 1 bag of trash a month. I don't think shutting off my already power conscious bulbs for an hour will help anything.

maybe if i shut my fridge off... but... i kinda like my food to stay fresh LOL.

the truth is energy saving here is retarded. we already have a super low rate. we have an abundance of energy. bc hydro's gonna make a few less bucks so what.

there's other shit they can do to be earth friendly.
it starts at the corporate level. citizens already ... like i said, recycle and all that shit.

they've already invented devices that can photosynthesize as efficient as natural plants (they need to mass produce and make this shit cheap as shit and deploy it everywhere, especially near or at factories).

those are the things that will "save" earth. they need to pour money into shit like that.

more renewable energy. more effective fusion power. converting green house gasses to O2. being more efficient... not turning things off that can't be turned off forever.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote