REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #76
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Last 3 weeks I've got two in kits, both $35 each if paid within 7 days
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #77
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

All I wish is that they could fucking refund the ticket once its been printed. Lets say the bank takes a couple more minutes longer than you anticipated or your in line at the grocery store and there is a holdup. So you can't leave to plug the meter longer. You run outside and the officer has given you the ticket but is still writing info down. They say they can't refund it once its printed, but there is obviously a simple way of changing the system. The fines are there as deterrents to break the law. However, common sense and changing the refunding of tickets on site would go A LONG WAY to improve the relationships between bylaw officers and people parking. I just don't see how being late to a meter when they just issued the ticket wouldn't make more sense to cancel it on the spot.

Giving me a fine isn't deterring me because the issue sometimes is that shit just takes longer. Its a simple gesture that could go a long way to improving the relationship. If they claim there aren't quotas or that the purpose is to generate revenue, then bylaw officers should WANT to make people lives better.
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #78
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslater View Post
All I wish is that they could fucking refund the ticket once its been printed. Lets say the bank takes a couple more minutes longer than you anticipated or your in line at the grocery store and there is a holdup. So you can't leave to plug the meter longer. You run outside and the officer has given you the ticket but is still writing info down. They say they can't refund it once its printed, but there is obviously a simple way of changing the system. The fines are there as deterrents to break the law. However, common sense and changing the refunding of tickets on site would go A LONG WAY to improve the relationships between bylaw officers and people parking. I just don't see how being late to a meter when they just issued the ticket wouldn't make more sense to cancel it on the spot.

Giving me a fine isn't deterring me because the issue sometimes is that shit just takes longer. Its a simple gesture that could go a long way to improving the relationship. If they claim there aren't quotas or that the purpose is to generate revenue, then bylaw officers should WANT to make people lives better.
Well then why don't you put more 10 more minutes into the meter than what you expect to be out of there by.....It takes me 20 minutes to get to school, does that mean I'm going to leave my house 20 minutes before class? No, I'll eave 30-35 minutes before class because guess what: shit happens! So put extra time into the meter so you don't have this dumbass excuse as to why you weren't able to make it back beforehand.....Moreoever, as everyone has already mentioned in this thread, you can pay over the phone so you don't even have to leave your line-up at the bank to get more time on your meter...No matter how you want to put it, it is YOUR fault for not making it back before your time has run out......Is this really that difficult of a concept?
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #79
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
other cities are different. $50, $25 if paid within 2 weeks.

And holy fuck at the guy who writes 50-70 tix each day.
Posted via RS Mobile
Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #80
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:

It would be nice if they could undo a ticket, but if they let one guy go, they're gonna have to let every guy go.

I know a few of the Burnaby bylaw officers have lately been trying to get firearms with them since they are legal peace officers. (They won't get them though...but they can try)
Kinda like how sky train transit checkers 10 years ago would get spat on laughed at and nobody took them serious. Now everyone takes them seriously.
Posted via RS Mobile
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #81
I STILL don't get it

I remember when I got ticketed in Downtown Vancouver its $35 for an expired meter and $50 fine for parked in a no stop zone unless prices have increased because this happened awhile ago.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #82
MOD

give em tasers lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #83
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Quote:

Actually, they can. I've had several printed tickets refunded before. The golden rule works both ways...
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #84
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

They changed the law too, i remember few years ago you can just dispute the ticket and pretty much case close cause it takes forever for them to summon you to court. If you weren't summon within a year from the date of the ticket issue, you automatically win and case closed.

Now you can't do that anymore lol.
hkRicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #85
MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
Actually, they can. I've had several printed tickets refunded before. The golden rule works both ways...
Posted via RS Mobile

i think there is a time limit they can cancel, but ya freshly printed ones can be cancelled but they say they cant
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #86
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
I think I remembered seeing someone complaining about cities and municipalities relying on parking tickets as a source of revenue.

PROTIP: Pay for parking, and tickets will no longer be a source of revenue! You can only rely on something that exists. It is absolutely true that if people always followed the rules and paid for parking, they would not be able to rely on tickets as a source of revenue, nor would they need to pay bylaw enforcement.

And yet, because people don't pay for tickets, they become a source of revenue. "I'll just be a minute" "well, I think it'll take ten minutes, so I'll only pay ten minutes" and so on and so forth. Every time I park in front of a meter, I pay for 15 minutes more than I think I'll actually need. Why? Because it's an extra fucking quarter so I don't have to pay $50. I have yet to receive any kind of parking tickets. And I'm pretty sure those extra fifteen minutes over my more-than-a-decade-of-driving hasn't added up to $50.

TL;DR: Follow the rules and you won't need to bitch about the enforcement of them.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2013, 01:46 AM   #87
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
everybody who's hating on meter maids here seem like the type of person that would dispute their speeding tickets no matter what, 'just because'.

like the saying goes, don't hate the playa, hate the game

as far as i'm concerned, they're just doing their jobs, if i'm a minute late (didn't even know about the grace period, but i don't consider it relevant when i calculate how much i need to park), then i'm eligible to get a ticket. if i don't get a ticket, then that's a bonus, but if i do, then i expected it already.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:32 AM   #88
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
I think I remembered seeing someone complaining about cities and municipalities relying on parking tickets as a source of revenue.

PROTIP: Pay for parking, and tickets will no longer be a source of revenue! You can only rely on something that exists. It is absolutely true that if people always followed the rules and paid for parking, they would not be able to rely on tickets as a source of revenue, nor would they need to pay bylaw enforcement.

And yet, because people don't pay for tickets, they become a source of revenue. "I'll just be a minute" "well, I think it'll take ten minutes, so I'll only pay ten minutes" and so on and so forth. Every time I park in front of a meter, I pay for 15 minutes more than I think I'll actually need. Why? Because it's an extra fucking quarter so I don't have to pay $50. I have yet to receive any kind of parking tickets. And I'm pretty sure those extra fifteen minutes over my more-than-a-decade-of-driving hasn't added up to $50.

TL;DR: Follow the rules and you won't need to bitch about the enforcement of them.
Quoted in full, for truth.

This is the same as any other time the cops announce an "enforcement blitz" of some sort, with the stated intent of reducing a certain illegal behaviour...and the cries of "cash grab!" go up.

So wait... they're announcing the blitz in advance, letting everyone know they'll be looking specifically for that particular infraction, in the hope that ultimately NOBODY will do it. Well, if they succeed... haven't they just intentionally dried up that revenue stream? If all they care about was the money, why would the be telling people NOT TO DO IT??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:00 AM   #89
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
There should be no disputes. The signs in Vancouver/BC are generally very clear on when and where you can or cannot park; come to Adelaide and see for yourself what kind of signs get put up when the city council is PURPOSELY trying to screw people over for parking (and the number of contradicting signs)

If you didn't pay for parking and you get a ticket - don't bitch about it... who's fault is it for the ticket?

that being said, sometimes the meter maids are REAL, GENUINE assholes.
The only time that I complained about a meter man was about his attitude. I asked him if it would be OK for me to stay parked in the spot for another 10-15 minutes while the group of Air Cadets in front of me finished their practice routine before proceeding into the arena for their competition. He told me to, "no, you get another ticket", "simply start your car, nudge it towards them and people will naturally move". I got his agent number, refused to run the kids over and ruin their competition, and got another ticket.

I paid the original as I originally intended to, but had the City of Richmond rip up the second one and got a half-decent apology from both the agent himself via phone, and a written apology from the City of Richmond via e-mail to myself and the group of cadets formed up in front of my car at the time.

Ridiculous

Last edited by CP.AR; 03-27-2013 at 05:08 AM.
CP.AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #90
MOD

Quote:
Hundreds of citizens have accused Vancouver's parking-enforcement officers of a string of wrongs, including giving outrageously unfair tickets, swearing at and threatening drivers and making false accusations and racist comments, according to complaints obtained by The Province.

Recently, The Province reported on about 300 "incident reports" filed by parking-enforcement officers between January 2010 and December 2012, in which officers alleged assaults, death threats and excessive verbal abuse on the part of drivers.

But a separate review of calls recorded to the city's 311 service in the same time period - which were released to The Province under freedom-of-information legislation - reveals the other side of the story.

The general tone of 253 citizen complaints suggests frustration, indignation and anger from drivers who think unreasonable city employees are lying in the weeds ready to pounce on motorists' wallets, in what amounts to "a corrupt money grab" by city hall.

Many drivers who feel they have been given unfair tickets - through meter malfunction or officer error, for example - complain the new process to dispute unfair tickets by adjudication rather than the courts is tilted in favour of the city.

In one call, a driver claimed an officer made racist comments about "Asian people."

In another case, a 24-year-old woman called to allege she had been "side-swiped" by a parking officer while driving downtown. The woman claimed she started to cry and the parking officer laughed at her, and told her to "check her attitude."

In another case, a driver claimed an officer yelled at him and falsely accused him of abusing his child. A police investigation cleared the driver, the driver claimed.

The Province tried to determine whether any of these cases resulted in employee discipline, but a city spokesperson said that information can't be disclosed for privacy reasons. All complaints are reviewed internally, the spokesperson said.

Identities were blotted out in the documents released to The Province.

A common theme in many complaints was drivers stopping briefly in non-metered areas to drop off or pick up elderly, disabled or child passengers, and getting slapped with fines. Drivers complained that officers acted without reason or mercy in these cases.

Money collected from parking meters and parking tickets is a major and rising source of revenue for the City of Vancouver. In 2012, parking-meter revenue and parking tickets generated $64.3 million for city coffers. There were 301,478 tickets issued in 2012.

Money actually collected from fined motorists started trending above $17 million per year in 2011, apparently due to the city's new fine-adjudication system, while the number of tickets issued has dropped.

Vancouver elementary school teacher Bonnie Dakin, who has called 311 to complain about two allegedly unfair tickets in 2013, said the city's new adjudication system "needs a total overhaul, because you are penalized for appealing."

When asked whether the city would consider reviewing the new adjudication system based on citizen complaints obtained by The Province, a city spokesperson said "many other municipalities have gone in the direction" of the new ticket-adjudication system.

And on the issue of citizen complaints of meters not registering their coins, the spokesperson said meters are guaranteed to register coins accurately 98 per cent of the time.

SAMPLE COMPLAINTS FROM CITIZENS ...

- "Racist to the citizen. The officer rolled her eyes at the citizen and quoted, 'Asian people!'"

- "The officer wouldn't give him the ticket until he finished delivering a demeaning lecture on why he didn't park somewhere else, how lazy he is, how stupid he is."

- "She was trying to dispute the ticket with the officer, but the officer asked her, 'Are you deaf?' and said, 'Stop being a bitch.'"

- "She was side-swiped by the parking-enforcement vehicle ... she was a bit shaken up so she started to cry ... and the employee began laughing at her."

- "I was shocked by the lack of compassion and consideration and respect displayed by this city employee. The parking guy was yelling at the elderly driver to move, otherwise he would issue a ticket."

- "Citizen was dropping off his friend who has a full body brace ... officer yelled at the citizen and indicated that he could have given the citizen a ticket for stopping there."

- "The bylaw officer then made a report to the police that the citizen was 'shaking his kid and was harsh on his kid and injured his kid' ... citizen has paperwork from the police if needed."

- "The officer approached and said, 'What are you, an idiot? Why would you park here?' ... The officer became abusive, wild even, when he realized he was being filmed."

- "Citizen said he was walking up to the parking meter to pay and he said the officer said, 'What are you doing? You're stupid. You can't park here.'"

- "Adjudication hearing took place yesterday by phone and citizen feels it was handled unfairly. Citizen indicates he would have chosen to pay the lesser fine, had he known there would be no discussion in the adjudication hearing."

- "He states that there was no signage whatsoever within the vicinity, and that it was a very unfair ticket. He is hoping that someone will take the time to hear him out."

- "She didn't explain why he got a ticket despite the meter not accepting new coins."
Read more: Parking enforcers spark citizen rage

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 05-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #91
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

They can revoke it after printing it, I know this because one guy did it for me.
Posted via RS Mobile
C5_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #92
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

i m downtown a lot and i feel for those bylaw guys and gals, met some very nice one out there and there are the odd rude ones no doubt. I will say that it is the liars that ruin it for the rest of us. Heard a lady come back and said she went for change for the meter, she had a coffee and snack in hand, the officer on a bike probably knew she was lying but chose to believe her and told her to put in some coin and he wont issue the ticket. she stood there for a while and could not produce any coins as she had lied..officer prints the ticket and actually apologises and says he tried to help her.
Another scenario i saw is an officer asking a driver to move out of a rush hour zone around 330pm. I thought to myself, wow nice guy giving him a chance to move without a ticket. THe driver however didnt move and yells loudly at the officer (so loud that i could hear what he said clearly) that he was on a business call. Ticket was then issued. IMagine doing this job when you encounter countless liars, hard to know which ones are telling the truth
luibei is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #93
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
A common theme in many complaints was drivers stopping briefly in non-metered areas to drop off or pick up elderly, disabled or child passengers, and getting slapped with fines. Drivers complained that officers acted without reason or mercy in these cases.
I see people do this all the time - usually at the expense of other drivers or buses. Usually they think that because they're only there for a few minutes, it's ok, but they don't realize that they're holding up traffic. And usually, all they need to do is pull into a side street or alley to pick people up, and they'll be out of the way of the flow of traffic.

No stopping means no stopping. No parking means not more than 5 minutes while you're loading/unloading.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #94

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
I see people do this all the time - usually at the expense of other drivers or buses. Usually they think that because they're only there for a few minutes, it's ok, but they don't realize that they're holding up traffic. And usually, all they need to do is pull into a side street or alley to pick people up, and they'll be out of the way of the flow of traffic.

No stopping means no stopping. No parking means not more than 5 minutes while you're loading/unloading.
Is that what No parking means officially?
No parking zone = Loading/unloading?
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #95

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5_Ryder View Post
They can revoke it after printing it, I know this because one guy did it for me.
Posted via RS Mobile
Seriously? I was five minutes late to my meter and the guy just printed it, he said he couldn't revoke it..
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #96
MOD

no parking = you have like 5 mins, if your actively loading/unloading people or materials.

you are basically parked when you stop moving and doesn't matter if the vehicle is occupied or unoccupied.

thats why on robson or some major road during rush hour they will wait 5 mins, if not moved then ticket/tow

i feel that in no stopping zones, everyone who parks there deserves a ticket. like in bus zones, crosswalk, fire hydrant etc.

Quote:

This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #97
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Use the paybyphone app, will change your life.

I got a ticket once when I parked and was STILL IN my car. The officer didn't have no mercy and just printed out a ticket. Just crazy. I was texting someone just before I got out.

Oh well. Live and learn, but really?
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:20 AM   #98
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
Is that what No parking means officially?
No parking zone = Loading/unloading?
No Stopping

Section 3: Once your vehicle stops moving, it has stopped.

Section 17.1: You cannot stop in a No Stopping zone for any reason, or any length of time.

No Stopping signs are used in bus, taxi, commercial, tour bus, rush hour, special event, police, accessible parking, and temporary zones.

No Parking

Section 3: If your vehicle stops, and is not loading or unloading passengers, it is parked, whether it is occupied or not.

Section 17.6A (a): You can stop in a No Parking zone for up to five minutes to load or unload passengers, or materials.

Exception: Section 17.6A (b): Motorists with a valid parking permit for people with disabilities - a SPARC placard - can use No Parking zones for up to 30 minutes for loading and unloading passengers, or materials.

No stopping zones and no parking zones | City of Vancouver

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #99
MOD

if your stopped in a no stopping zone, the nice ones will warn you and ask you to move, but if they still see you parked there when they come back they will ticket you.

The assholes will ticket it you regardless and if they dont give you the ticket then they will mail it to you.

Quote:

Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #100
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
No Stopping
No Parking

Section 3: If your vehicle stops, and is not loading or unloading passengers, it is parked, whether it is occupied or not.

Section 17.6A (a): You can stop in a No Parking zone for up to five minutes to load or unload passengers, or materials.

Exception: Section 17.6A (b): Motorists with a valid parking permit for people with disabilities - a SPARC placard - can use No Parking zones for up to 30 minutes for loading and unloading passengers, or materials.

No stopping zones and no parking zones | City of Vancouver
This needs to be enforced in front of elementary schools. You cant see a thing and these kids, it's like they're not talk to look both ways and the parent cant read signs and I cant see anything
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote