REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Working in Hong Kong

I'm graduating by the end of this year and I'd really like to work in Hong Kong. While I know good jobs are scarce (aren't they everywhere anyways), I'd like to take a stab at it.

Are there any HK local job search websites you guys would recommend? I'm also somewhat interested in working in the government and I am a HK citizen. Any other tips or recommendations would be really appreciated.
Advertisement
SkippyLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Connections are key.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,336 Times in 967 Posts
I'll chime in a bit. I won't say to much but I'm in my 30 and I have considered going back. To be honest, I wouldn't go back to work in HK, the reason being is that you have no experience at all and your university degree is a dime a dozen. There are ga-billion people who wants to work in government. You are no different than fighting with any Hongers there.

If you are willing to invest 5 - 10 years here and get a decent job, your chances of landing a job would be MUCH MUCH better. Hopefully you have some big name companies on your resume which will help you jump start a much better chance in getting a job.

At my age, as much as I love HK, great opportunities to get laid, party hard and travel (people go to japan or thailand or vietnam all the time during a simple long weekend). If you're some type of outside sales rep, you'll be enjoying the prestige of flying around Asia. I settled into Canada because I much rather work solid 8 hours and earn a decent wage, whereas in HK, I'll be working extremely long hours but earn probably less in Canada.

just my 2 cent from these 10 yrs of contemplating of working in HK.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I know couple friends who had to work in Hong Kong after university and they said pay sucks and long hours=( they went into the business/financial field
Posted via RS Mobile
beproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Fun to visit and party in, but very stressful and competitive in the job market. Plus housing is very expensive and tiny.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #6

Most job in HK required you to "shine your boss shoe". And mechanic job pay not as high as here.
hkRicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:32 AM   #7
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
If you aren't accustomed to the Hong Kong work-lifestyle, stay out.

OP do you have citizenship in Hong Kong? are you interested in airplanes? if so I suggest you see about applying for Cathay Pacific
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

What field are you interested in?
and what kind of academic background do you have?

Business / Commerce have more advantanges over science/engineering. Most of my engineering colleagues were back there end up switched to banking and accounting.

Do you have a place to live there? if no, rental $$ would be an arm and leg due to expensive real estate.

My Buyer / Seller Rating
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60152...o-6-0-0-a.html
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I think without connections, its generally extremely competitive to even find a job.
The only route I can think of if you ARE serious, is to get some experience here THEN go back. But then by then you probably would have a better future here.

All in all, go back only if you have $$$ and connections.
djkazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
HK work scene is VERY fast pace to beable to serve millions of people in a tiny area...

the fast pace from North America is nowhere near fast pace in Asia Pacific...
Old 04-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
I don't get it

it is super stressful in hk. you work at the very LEAST 8 hrs. definitely a lot of overtime throughout the week. if your renting, a small apartment (a master bedroom with a kitchen) in jordan is $1000/month.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #12

If you need to rent than working in HK is not ideal for you.
But if you come from a well off family and or still have your property there than yes go back and work, and it's pretty much fun and games since your family can still support you
Old 06-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #13
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Most of the people are facing legal problem when they try to work on another place because the rules and regulation are different for that state.So yo must contact with any legal person there to avoid any legal action.

Last edited by Morkal; 07-22-2014 at 02:01 AM.
Morkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,806 Times in 8,185 Posts
As much as I love Hong Kong, I would never want to take part in the local work scene. And if I had kids, I certainly wouldn't want to raise them there either.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #15
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Jobs in Hong Kong are a pain in the ass even with connections, OT's almost everyday and its in super fast pace. I've worked and lived in HK as well. Didnt really like it, plus I make more money here anyways. vacation is ok, but that's about it
TRD Rs200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

really depends what job sector you're working for. the money in hk is actually BETTER than canada if you're in investment banking or the likes. there are more opportunities and jobs there so your bonuses are easily doubled what you make in canada. and plus their tax rate is so much lower, if you land a good job you make a lot more than here despite what some people are saying. investment banking associates here make about $200k or less, in HK you can look to make even double that if it's a good year... and at 15% flat tax approximately.

but obviously if you're a teller or a receptionist or something like that you're gonna make diddly squat!

but also be prepared to work 12 hour days everyday.
ooops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #17

I feel I have a responsibility to chime in and give a different perspective of working in HK for those who are contemplating the idea.

I went back to work in HK about 7 years ago after graduating with a BBA from BCIT. Started with a salary of about $7500/mth hkd with $4k rent. Had some money saved up from working in Van so I was good for a while but not enough to feel comfortable on a monthly basis. Worked for about 1.5 yrs in a trading company and eventually got to about $15k salary before I quit and moved on. No bonus, no OT pay, just long ass hours and hopelessness...BUT learned a lot about doing business in HK/China especially in the trading business.

7 years later, I have my own business in HK and manufacturing facility in china. Bought a house yes a House not a flat. Have 4 cars, 4 dogs, a wife, a baby coming, mid 6 figures mthly after tax, over 8 figures in liquid assets (not including real estate), and work about 3 hours a week.

This is what working in HK/China can be if you make it. Its full of opportunities that Vancouver will never bring. Everything is fast paced and everyone wants to make money rather than chill out, spark a J and have a beer. Everyone works hard and long hours just to gain that extra advantage in this dog eat dog market. In a very short time, you can learn a lot if you're under the right positions and mentors. You learn how to win and most importantly how to swallow a big loss and get yourself back up especially if your into trading stocks. I've lost many times and have even gone broke with debt and have hated each day in HK during my grind. I wanted to give up so many times and just move back to van, get a decent paying job, regular hours, no risk, no frills, and enjoy life.

I hated living in hk since I've spent most of my life in Van but these early years are crucial in terms of taking risk and working hard. Make sacrifices, lose and learn to win. Aside from the freedom I have now, I really still don't enjoy living here that much. Too many people, too many cars, too many extremely wealthy people, too fast paced, too hot, too many fake people, stuff too expensive, "fry" this "fry" that, too much ass kissing, and too many shoes to shine. The good thing now is that I've structured my personal life to be as far away from all that BS while still living/working in hk.

What I'm saying is if you're an ambitious person with a high risk tolerance then try things that are out of your comfort zone, especially when you're still young. Everyone wants to be well off/rich but nobody seems to try or have a plan in achieving it. When everyone is going towards one direction, what benefit is it to you to walk that way with the crowd? No pain no gain is the easiest way to put it. I hated everyday during the grind but I never regretted one thing that I did and one decision that I made. I took a big step to decide to work here and a big commitment to stay during the toughest times of my life. I don't come from a rich family, middle class at best and most importantly, nothing to fall back on.

The truth is, a lot of my friends that came back to work haven't fully succeeded yet but a good percentage have. Much more than the ones that stayed in Van. The ones who are still in Van are living a very stagnant life and have lost their ambition and goals that they once had when we were in school. In many ways I feel that they have just given up and accepted mediocrity. To be honest, my friends in Van are much happier than the ones in HK. I guess that's the trade off in life.

I made an ultimate goal when I was 25 to be able to move back to Van and retire by the age of 35. Watch my children grow up in a place that I call home and be able to truly spend time with my family. Although it sounds like wishful thinking, there were also many smaller goals that needed to be achieved during this timeline which makes objectives/goals setting that important if you want to succeed in something. I haven't reached that point yet as I still have 6 good years to go but its looking like I'm on the right path and my decisions were right and my risk payed off. I don't consider myself rich or well off in HK but I do feel extremely grateful for the things that happened and to feel free.

No one starts off with experience but if you want to learn and gain experience fast, this is the place to be. It doesn't get more real than this little city. I wish everyone who does attempt to work in HK the best of luck.
NKC ONE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #18

Soooo I assume this is a non white thread? Me-Noe-Speek HK
sevewone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #19

This applies to all colors. You don't need to speak cantonese or mandarin to work in HK. It's still a white man's playground.
NKC ONE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #20
G
Banned (BBM)

Here is a site that I used: Top jobs, employment & recruitment network across Asia | jobsDB
G is online now   Reply With Quote