REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsali View Post

When people ask where I live i used to say Surrey. I would always get the "Surrey" comments from the "outlanders". I grew up in a great community but I almost always refer to my area as the "Fraser Heights Area" and not surrey for a clear reason. Best to avoid Guildford and City Centre area. Newton and Delta are personal preference.
I've told Surrey residents that I live in East Van and they think i live in Downtown Eastside

bitch pls
Advertisement

Last edited by twitchyzero; 03-25-2013 at 11:29 PM.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #27
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
The only part of Surrey I like is North Delta just because some of my friends live around there and it's seems like a nice area, that's probably the only part of Surrey I go to mostly. Another thing I hate is "surrey jacks" tend to just stare you down for no reason and they speed around in the residential areas with their shitty ass cars.
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #28
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oHenry View Post
Pros:
Affordable Housing
Surrey is currently undergoing a phase of development
Lots of parks
Easier to spell than any other regional district in the GVRD
It rhymes with Curry
Streets are easy to navigate/locate
We just got newly issued disposal bins (They're really nice)
Liquor stores everywhere
Bigger than Vancouver
It's always interesting
Samosas (2 for $1)

Cons:
Easy to get lost at first
fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
YOOOOOO BUDDDDYYYYY YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW BUDDY, SHIT IS HECTIC BROOO, YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW!!
HUNDIES BRO HUNDIES
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
HUNDIES BRO HUNDIES
HUNDIES DUNDIES BRO!! HUNDIES DUNDIES!!!!!!
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #31
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,179 Times in 229 Posts
my hundies are dundies bro better call my cousin ricky buddyy
Old 03-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #32
Fanboy

Pros:
Certain neighborhoods smell heavenly at dinner time, the sweet smell of curry fills the air, each house contributing to the scent.

Cons:

Ford Mustangs on every block blasting bhangra music with their top down.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #33
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,026 Times in 201 Posts
Quote:
The only part of Surrey I like is North Delta just because some of my friends live around there and it's seems like a nice area, that's probably the only part of Surrey I go to mostly. Another thing I hate is "surrey jacks" tend to just stare you down for no reason and they speed around in the residential areas with their shitty ass cars.
Uh north delta is in DELTA not surrey lol
Posted via RS Mobile
TurboFC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #34
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
My fav part of surrey is abbotsford
Posted via RS Mobile
no_pistons7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:30 AM   #35
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
can anyone give me something about fleetwood area? lol just curious
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:02 AM   #36
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpark View Post
can anyone give me something about fleetwood area? lol just curious
I grew up in Fleetwood, and would have no issue living there again.

In fact, my cousin works downtown and has lived in Coal Harbor, Lonsdale, and PoMo, but set down his permanent roots in Fleetwood.

The majority of the homes were built in the early/mid-nineties, construction quality is good.

The library and recreation center were both built in the mid/late-nineties, they're nothing short of amazing quality and are very large. Growing up there, it was a privilege to have access to them.

Two Ee's is amazing, its an organic vegetable farm/market in the heart of town. Sounds very hipster, but its been open for decades and has always been organic.

The community is very diverse, the mix of ethnicities is significant and no single one is dominant.

A number of great parks in the immediate area or close.

Very safe neighborhood.

Housing is affordable, and there's actually quite a good mix of lower-to-higher end housing.

Traffic isn't too bad.

Good access to the core of Surrey, Langley, White Rock, Highway 1.

There are a few pubs in the area and some decent smaller restaurants, but mostly you'll need to drive a bit.

All in all, not a bad place to live.

If I were looking to raise a family, I would very strongly be considering moving back.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-26-2013 at 07:58 AM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #37
I STILL don't get it

Thanked 3,710 Times in 328 Posts
My family and I have lived in Fleetwood for about 6 years now and have not had any problems. Like mentioned above you will see the "Ford Mustangs on every block blasting bhangra music with their top down" every now and then but to be honest it's a decent place. We had more problems living in Burnaby not too far from the EA building where we had our house/cars broken into along with our neighbours homes.
DEADBEA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #38
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

I've live in Surrey (Guildford) area for the majority of my life. Moved here from East Van when I was 7. I live on 156 and 100th which is right by Fraser Heights. Don't listen to the people that know nothing about Surrey other than what they see/hear on the news, from their friends or are just plain ignorant. Every city has it's safe/unsafe areas. Generally speaking, my area of Surrey is safe, you want to avoid Whalley/Newton area. Fleetwood, Guildford and Fraser Heights are the best areas to live IMO. I live right by the highway so getting in and out is nice and quick, even faster now that they made a 156 street exit

Last edited by hotjoint; 03-26-2013 at 01:25 PM.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #39
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Spoiler!

+1 I live in Fleetwood
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #40
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
pros:
if you don't like your neighbour, there's a higher likelihood than in vancouver of them being killed by a rogue bullet in a drive by
bcrdukes doesn't live there, so he won't get public services removed by harassing mayors about them

cons:
theres a higher likelihood than in vancouver of you being killed by a rogue bullet in a drive by
bcrdukes doesnt live there, so you will have no connection to the hipster aspects of vancouver

BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #41
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
I've lived in Surrey (Guildford) area for the majority of my life. Moved here from East Van when I was 7. I live on 156 and 100th which is right by Fraser Heights. Don't listen to the people that know nothing about Surrey other than what they see/hear on the news or are just plain ignorant. Every city has it's safe/unsafe areas. Generally speaking, my area of Surrey is safe, you want to avoid Whalley/Newton area. Fleetwood, Guildford and Fraser Heights are the best areas to live IMO. I live right by the highway so getting in and out is nice and quick, even faster now that they made a 156 street exit
Surrey is a very well-run municipality, which has lead to Newton and Whalley becoming much improved over recent years. Consider this - Whalley has multiple Skytrain stops, a SFU campus, a couple decent bars (Central City), a large community center, an outdoor concert series is hosted at Holland Park, there's great access to the Port Mann, a number of new high rises, it has immediate proximity to Guilford with a large mall, library, and RCMP headquarters, and so on. Compare Whalley to Burnaby, there's not a insignificant number of similarities. Whalley and Burnaby's distances from Vancouver is the most significant difference, but the Skytrain and Port Mann access make that very manageable. My friend recently purchased a home in Whalley, I was impressed by the immediate area and walking to Surrey Central is manageable. Considering Vancouver residents most common and tangible criticism of their area is the cost of real estate, not giving Whalley an unbiased look seems foolish. Newton is a little more, how should I say, burby; it's not bad either though, and only improving. Newton has the Big Ridge pub, Kwantlen's Surrey campus, great access to highway 10, and I could go on. So again, not giving Newton a fair look seems foolish given the comparatively affordable cost of living.

That's my take, but others are welcome to disagree. I won't shy away from giving an honest opinion: Vancouver, Burnaby, and Richmond residents often come across as nothing but pretentious in their criticisms of other neighborhoods.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-26-2013 at 10:43 AM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #42
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
^ They are also moving Surrey City Hall to central city soon.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #43
Hopeless Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oHenry
Pros:
Affordable Housing
Surrey is currently undergoing a phase of development
Lots of parks
Easier to spell than any other regional district in the GVRD
It rhymes with Curry
Streets are easy to navigate/locate
We just got newly issued disposal bins (They're really nice)
Liquor stores everywhere
Bigger than Vancouver
It's always interesting
Samosas (2 for $1)

Cons:
Easy to get lost at first
fixed
Not disagreeing with you, but I guess that's like any city you're unfamiliar with... But to be honest I find Surrey's street's a lot easier to navigate... and I find it strange when people from Vancouver disagree.

Ex. I know that every if I'm traveling in Surrey there is a major intersection every 4 blocks... 96th... 100th.. 104th.. 108th... and they increment in numeric sequence. If someone lives on 10360 and 128th you know they live at the intersection of 104th and 128th.

For someone new to surrey, if you need to get to 156th and you're at 148th, you can kind of work your way if you notice the direction that the numbers are increasing/decreasing...

But if it's my first time in Van, how am I supposed to know that Clark turns into Knight, etc?

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
1993 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo I (Sold)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (Daily Driven)
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #44
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Surrey is a very well-run municipality, which has lead to Newton and Whalley becoming much improved over recent years. Consider this - Whalley has multiple Skytrain stops, a SFU campus, a couple decent bars (Central City), a large community center, an outdoor concert series is hosted at Holland Park, there's great access to the Port Mann, a number of new high rises, it has immediate proximity to Guilford with a large mall, library, and RCMP headquarters, and so on. Compare Whalley to Burnaby, there's not a insignificant number of similarities. Whalley and Burnaby's distances from Vancouver is the most significant difference, but the Skytrain and Port Mann access make that very manageable. My friend recently purchased a home in Whalley, I was impressed by the immediate area and walking to Surrey Central is manageable. Considering Vancouver residents most common and tangible criticism of their area is the cost of real estate, not giving Whalley an unbiased look seems foolish. Newton is a little more, how should I say, burby; it's not bad either though, and only improving. Newton has the Big Ridge pub, Kwantlen's Surrey campus, great access to highway 10, and I could go on. So again, not giving Newton a fair look seems foolish given the comparatively affordable cost of living.

That's my take, but others are welcome to disagree. I won't shy away from giving an honest opinion: Vancouver, Burnaby, and Richmond residents often come across as nothing but pretentious in their criticisms of other neighborhoods.
I should have been clearer when talking about Whalley and Newton. The bad part of Whalley is the 108th and King George area all the way down to Scott road Skytrain station. The Sketchy part of Newton is by the wavepool and up king george.

I totally agree with you about people from Vancouver, Burnaby, and Richmond be pretentious. Let them keep thinking the way they do
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtanner_ View Post
Not disagreeing with you, but I guess that's like any city you're unfamiliar with... But to be honest I find Surrey's street's a lot easier to navigate... and I find it strange when people from Vancouver disagree.

Ex. I know that every if I'm traveling in Surrey there is a major intersection every 4 blocks... 96th... 100th.. 104th.. 108th... and they increment in numeric sequence. If someone lives on 10360 and 128th you know they live at the intersection of 104th and 128th.

For someone new to surrey, if you need to get to 156th and you're at 148th, you can kind of work your way if you notice the direction that the numbers are increasing/decreasing...

But if it's my first time in Van, how am I supposed to know that Clark turns into Knight, etc?
It was mostly a joke, however I used to get lost a lot when I was younger and living out there. And I got lost trying to find the Jim Pattison Health Centre or whatever it's called. Somehow I ended up at the RCMP station (I actually blame google maps for that though). I was thinking more along the lines of the outlying areas, such as the areas around 64th. Maybe I'm just directionally challenged

On the flip side, I actually find it really easy to navigate burnaby and vancouver, despite the streets being names instead of numbers. Even when I had just moved here from Langley, I didn't really have too much of an issue finding my way around.

Quote:
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Old 03-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFC3S View Post
Uh north delta is in DELTA not surrey lol
Posted via RS Mobile
sorry, i'm not familiar with surrey and any city/town around that area
Old 03-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #47
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Surrey has a bad rap. Yes, some of it has been justified in the past, but it's largely overblown by the perceived stereotype that outsiders usually have. To write off Surrey because of Whalley Ring Road is like writing off Burnaby because of Middlegate (before they redeveloped that whole area into Highgate) or downtown Vancouver because of the DTES. Every city has it's good and bad places. There are some very nice areas in Surrey, notably White Rock/Crescent Beach, Morgan Creek, Fraser Heights, etc. Even areas like Cloverdale have been experiencing a rebirth of sorts and has become relatively nice to visit again. Hell, even going down King George by the Gateway station is slowing being revitalized. Not quickly, but I'll bet within ten years time you wont even recognize how it looked even two years ago.

Just don't assume a city is one big crime-infested shit hole because that's what you've "heard."

...unless you're looking at Detroit.

Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #48
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post

I totally agree with you about people from Vancouver, Burnaby, and Richmond be pretentious. Let them keep thinking the way they do
despite Surrey being the 2nd largest city in BC...I guess it's because Burnaby and Richmond is in close proximity to Vancouver and its downtown core...hence people automatically assume relatively affordable housing + longer commute = not the greatest area which is fact wrong as there's plenty of nice areas in Surrey.

Again it goes back to the city vs 'burbs argument...if you work in or nearby Surrey it's definitely favourable. If you commute to Vancouver a lot you have to consider if cheaper housing is a good trade off to sitting in 9-5 traffic jam on HWY 1.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 03-26-2013 at 01:45 PM.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
...is like writing off Burnaby because of Middlegate (before they redeveloped that whole area into Highgate)
No... that area is still a write off....

Quote:
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #50
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts

Last edited by vitaminG; 05-16-2013 at 05:43 PM.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: