REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Disputed ticket past one year still valid?

If a court date comes through one year after the offense date, will the constables evidence still hold up in court?

Is there not a statute of limitations?

my offense date: March 27th 2012
Court date June 7th 2013
Advertisement
jimkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
I think the evidence will still hold up.. now it probably falls on how well the constable remembers things or can recall specific parts, that's where they may have taken notes in case of a dispute.

I remember having a traffic ticket that was issued to me on February 2010, I disputed it and did not appear in court until June 2011. That was 16 months later, but I had all the evidence and supporting documents ready, and I remembered most parts like it was yesterday. I came out better than expected
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
if you ever disputed a traffic ticket, your court date will usually be about 12 months later due to all the back log and paper work that is required. The statute of limitations would be in effect if you offended on X date, and were served the ticket way later (I THINK it is past 6 months of the offence date). But since you were served on the date of the offence (I am assuming), it is legit.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Limitation of action is one year for VTs...in other words, you must be served the VT less than 12 months from the offence date....ie when you did the deed.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Limitation of action is one year for VTs...in other words, you must be served the VT less than 12 months from the offence date....ie when you did the deed.
But the allegation is still considered valid if he shows up to court more than a year later from the offense right? Your post made me a bit more confused
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
You could advance an argument that you right to a speedy trial was violated (s. 11(b) of the Charter). Although speedy trial is a flexible concept, a lot of case law states that anything over 8 months could be considered a violation of this right... The courts will most likely refer to the statute of limitations for VTs. Keep in mind though that statutes trump common law, so all your efforts might end up being unnecessary. Still worth looking into IMO.

Evidence does not have an expiry date from what I know.

Last edited by broken_arrow; 03-28-2013 at 11:00 AM.
broken_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
^^ Speedy trial (regarding all the crap that came from Stanley Cup Riot) was 18 months. Anything under was considered "Speedy" yet if over 18 months could be fought that your right was violated.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
^^ Speedy trial (regarding all the crap that came from Stanley Cup Riot) was 18 months. Anything under was considered "Speedy" yet if over 18 months could be fought that your right was violated.
Did not know that! Cheers!
broken_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
So basically you can go to court up to two and a half years less two days after the offence and still have everything considered valid.

How's that for efficiency!
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
I bringith the lowerballerith

I'm still getting notified for a trial relating to an arrest that happened in January 2009. So long as there are no unnecessary delays, trials can drag on for years without Charter violations.
Posted via RS Mobile
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:02 AM   #11
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW607 View Post
But the allegation is still considered valid if he shows up to court more than a year later from the offense right? Your post made me a bit more confused
Let me try to put in even simpler terms....you speed, the Cops see you do it. They have up to 12 months to serve you the ticket. The ticket is valid if they take less that 365 days to give it to you. You have 30 days to dispute it and then the court system sets a court date. Then the court date is set for trial...that can take many months, depending on the backlog at that particular court. Most tickets are served immediately when you get caught, some can take much longer, depending on what kind of investigation is involved.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: